SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Micubano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:19 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
613 Posts
Discussion
It is waterproof! Well, now it is.

Over the summer I bought 2 Venom Gamblers for my son and I to race around the yard and park. While testing mine after some mods one day, I ran through a very small stream of water, like from a garden hose, and shortly after there was smoke and the ESC was dead. Venom sent me 2 replacement ESC's (free of charge) because I mentioned I bought 2 Gamblers. I replaced mine, but left my son's alone to see if the same problem came up.

If you have ever seen the Gambler's promo video, they drive it in snow. I decided today is the day to test that out. We tried just driving in the yard, but on any upwards incline (and some flat areas) we couldn't get enough traction to have any fun. I'm thinking little snow tires or chains might fix that. So we went out to the back alley where we could race up the blacktop and then cut over into some snow covered grass and plow down a hill and over some piles. It was fun and my truck was packed with snow (see the attachment). Happily, there were no problems this time. However, my son's truck started to not respond and ESC started smoking after about 5 minutes. I have the replacement in the basement, so it is no big deal. It should only take 15 minutes to replace and I have everything I need to replace it.

Besides that, it was fun to take the trucks out in the winter. The cold had a noticeable effect on the performance and the snow packed around everything didn't help. The motor was cold to the touch by the time I had it back on the stool (I didn't want a wet truck on the bench with other projects I am working on). But we were just seeing if we could run them in the snow. Mission accomplished.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Optim 80 CP Review
to remove ads between posts