HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Discussion
I know, I know stupid question about about World Tech Hercules Helo

Long story, short... Got in to low end RC helicoptering this past Christmas...
Me and my wife were having so much fun we talked about getting a couple for the nieces and/or nephews. Thinking most of these low end helos are interchangeable, wife got a couple of World Tech "indestructible" Hercules helos from a groupon thinking they wouldn't break from crashes.
Needless to say the experience has been horrific. Transmitter DOA on one, battery or main board dead on the other after two days. Kids tore the boxes to shreds when they got them; so no returns possible (Read the Groupon Goods fine print!) But I'd like to use this as a learning experience for the kids, while actually teaching them about how these things work. First, anyone have any knowledge of the main boards used in this heli? I was able to find a replacement controller for about $10. But I haven't been able to figure out who makes the main board for the heli. World Tech CS is a disaster. I know it's easier to just get a better brand replacement, but want to teach the kids about troubleshooting, etc. before I do that... If any one could help I'd appreciate it...
drtuvoc is offline Find More Posts by drtuvoc
Last edited by drtuvoc; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:40 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtuvoc View Post
Long story, short... Got in to low end RC helicoptering this past Christmas...
Me and my wife were having so much fun we talked about getting a couple for the nieces and/or nephews. Thinking most of these low end helos are interchangeable, wife got a couple of World Tech "indestructible" Hercules helos from a groupon thinking they wouldn't break from crashes.
Needless to say the experience has been horrific. Transmitter DOA on one, battery or main board dead on the other after two days. Kids tore the boxes to shreds when they got them; so no returns possible (Read the Groupon Goods fine print!) But I'd like to use this as a learning experience for the kids, while actually teaching them about how these things work. First, anyone have any knowledge of the main boards used in this heli? I was able to find a replacement controller for about $10. But I haven't been able to figure out who makes the main board for the heli. World Tech CS is a disaster. I know it's easier to just get a better brand replacement, but want to teach the kids about troubleshooting, etc. before I do that... If any one could help I'd appreciate it...
Too bad but we all learn. If you want my two cents worth I would call this a lesson learned about jumping in before researching. You are not the first and by far not the last. End this lesson by not wasting anymore money on this deal.

Get the Syma S107, they are not expensive and very easy to for the kids to learn on. Parts are available but I find the best thing is to get two at once. Test both of them out of the box, then fly one until it breaks down. Then fly the other one and use the first one for parts OR order the needed parts and fix it, your choice.

One thing, be easy on the batteries of any heli. As soon as it needs more throttle to keep it up charge the battery. NEVER run the batteries down as then they will be toast.

I am sure others will put thier two cents worth in here, everyone has a different opinion otherwise this would be a dull world.

Good luck.

And WELCOME to the MADNESS and ADDICTION!
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander