SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:50 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,646 Posts
I am going from a 70 degree house to a 25 degree outdoor area...does that cause issues? The sun was up when it was working well and as it got darker, the hex got worse and worse...maybe because of the colder weather?
Fidelity101 is online now Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:58 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101 View Post
I am going from a 70 degree house to a 25 degree outdoor area...does that cause issues? The sun was up when it was working well and as it got darker, the hex got worse and worse...maybe because of the colder weather?
Temperature change like that hasn't had a noticeable effect on mine. However, I did get the "Sun low in the sky" phenomenon, which was cured by taping the left side of the NAZA.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:03 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,646 Posts
I increased my Vertical gain and that gave me a better decent rate. I re-calibrated the compass again and verified that it was exactly -8 degrees (Turned 8 degrees to the left for Buffalo, New York) I also read that the measurements for the GPS unit are from the MC and not the CG...so I readjusted those numbers to 1, -8, -7.

The hex can now hover in a small 5-10 foot circle with zero wind in GPS mode. If the hex is completely still, it doesn't drift. But if I let go of the sticks during forward flight, it wants to do a 5 foot circle continuously. It use to lock into one spot and stay there, but a 5-10 foot circle is a lot better than it use to be.

OK...I think I found the trouble spot. I FINALLY got it dialed in outside of my garage. It holds fairly well in the air with a small circular motion. I had to completely remove the -8 degrees of rotation to stop the TBE. This didn't seem right to me, so I walked around to the front of my house...away from the large flood light and the TBE was back again in full force. I went back to the garage (flood light area) and it was rock solid again. I began noticing these issues at night, which is when the flood light kicks on. I'm wondering if that light puts out a large enough field to cause an issue even though I'm a good 25 feet away from it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Fidelity101; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:04 PM
Head full of foam
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Quote:
OK...I think I found the trouble spot. I FINALLY got it dialed in outside of my garage. It holds fairly well in the air with a small circular motion. I had to completely remove the -8 degrees of rotation to stop the TBE. This didn't seem right to me, so I walked around to the front of my house...away from the large flood light and the TBE was back again in full force. I went back to the garage (flood light area) and it was rock solid again. I began noticing these issues at night, which is when the flood light kicks on. I'm wondering if that light puts out a large enough field to cause an issue even though I'm a good 25 feet away from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
Fidelity,

Does the weather change whan you are flyinging at different times? Like a lot of sun...then cold and cloudy? Do you fly fast? The NAZA is known to be very picky about the barometric sensor.....If you read the Multi Rotor Electronic section on the NAZA, this is covered very well. It is usually the culprit for most of the TBE's, usually a piece of tape on the side of the MC will correct it.
No on the magnetic field put off from a yard light at 25 feet.
Possible on the light itself. Try the tape trick.
RuralFPV is offline Find More Posts by RuralFPV
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:10 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,646 Posts
What other reason would there be for it to work in front of the light but not in front of the house? The light is very bright, but its only LEDs. I'll give the tape trick a try, but now that the GPS antenna faces directly forward, it works perfectly in front of the house with the light, but has a VERY bad TBE anywhere else. I'm talking a 10 degree or more bank...usually to the right, back, left then forward. If I let it go, it gets very fast and out of control in about 10-15 seconds.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:44 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,544 Posts
Do you have a metal garage door? Is there rebar in your driveway? In the street are their underground power lines nearby. You need to get out in an open field to test.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:54 AM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,646 Posts
Yes, yes and yes. Even my flying field has a LARGE tower for cellphones and power lines in the distance...so I don't know where I can get away to do testing.

The weird part is that it works PERFECTLY sometimes and acts crazy at other times. Sometimes the red light flashes twice for about a minute before finding all GPS signals and sometimes it doesn't even flash once. After flying and sitting on my bench indoors for an hour, does it still recall the last known satellite positions? It seems to act up mostly when it doesn't flash red in the beginning...which makes me wonder if that's normal.

Ok, I had a 5 minute window in between heavy rain so I gave it another go. I set the GPS to about -10 degrees and continued to turn it until the HEX flew straight forward in GPS mode. I calibrated the GPS before turning it and conducted the calibration after removing my watch, cellphones, etc...basically anything electric. I also disabled the flood light as it has a built in IR sensor and I didn't want that to add to my problems. Anyway, it seems to fly in a straight line on the ground and has a very small circular motion in the air. I guess only time will tell if I have it configured correctly.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Fidelity101; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:28 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,646 Posts
A perfect flight! I finally got it dialed in and working in 3 different test locations...PLUS...the return to home feature works.

The only problem is that it still bounces during the touchdown and goes back up. If left alone, the bouncing would continue and most likely destroy the frame. Does anyone know how to fix this? Someone mentioned lowering the Vertical gains but I actually had to increase that in order to get a tolerable decent rate. Even on 125, it took about 45 seconds to drop 20 meters and then bounced like crazy. Now, it takes about 15 seconds but bounces just as much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
652 Posts
I wonder if the bouncing issue is caused by sea level. How far above sea level is the field you fly in? Does that matter? And last but not least how about adjusting the measurement that tells the Naza how high the GPS unit is. I think everyone is saying -10 mm. Try adjusting that measurement , in small increments. I think the y axis is the measurement that deals with the height of the gps right?
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Last edited by soulreaper; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:43 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,646 Posts
It's the z axis. I'm using a mount that's 4cm smaller than stock, so I went 7. I'll try with a higher number and report back.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Microwave Antenna interference and Compass setup

Long time reader

Quote:
Yes, yes and yes. Even my flying field has a LARGE tower for cellphones and power lines in the distance...so I don't know where I can get away to do testing.
Be careful flying near cell/microwave antennas. I had a major crash due to a glitch that was most likely caused by a microwave dish repeater nearby. My video of my crash is here:

Quad Crash from Radio Tower interference (1 min 0 sec)

Also, Fidelity101, you should not have to adjust for ANY magnetic declination. I used to write automation software and you can bet that the actual heading is irrelevant but holding any specific heading is what the compass is used for as well as any change in (delta) heading. Once moving linearly beyond a minimum velocity, the firmware likely uses delta position to calculate the heading. For this reason, you should probably align the arrow on your compass perfectly forward and only rotate to correct straight line flight if necessary. Where I live, magnetic declination is 11 degrees west of north and I have my gps arrow perfectly forward and my quad flys perfectly straight.

My two cents anyway.

Martin
Marty Fufkin is offline Find More Posts by Marty Fufkin
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:57 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,544 Posts
Quote:
It's the z axis. I'm using a mount that's 4cm smaller than stock, so I went 7. I'll try with a higher number and report back.
It should be a -7 not + if your GPS is mounted above the top plate.. That might help your bouncing problem.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3 Posts
As for the bouncing and slow decent , what size props are you using and is that a 3 or 4 cell battery. What is your motor idli speed set at?
tt408 is offline Find More Posts by tt408
Last edited by tt408; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:59 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,646 Posts
My current setting is -7...sorry for not being clear in the last post.

I have my motor idle set to stock and I'm using a 3S 8400mah battery with 10x4.7 props using 2217 ipower motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:10 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,544 Posts
Quote:
My current setting is -7...sorry for not being clear in the last post.

I have my motor idle set to stock and I'm using a 3S 8400mah battery with 10x4.7 props using 2217 ipower motors.
Wow, I only use 2x5000 6S on my S800. I have never used more than 4000 mAh 4s on a F550.
Site Sponsor