HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:00 PM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
if the futaba is the gy401 then why mess with the hk? The GY401 simply works. It has been around for many many years and is for a reason
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I've never not had a problem with HK401 or GY48V even with the hot glue mod. They're in a box. For use in something else.

Meh, they're in a cardboard box on the shelf mixed in with all the other parts I've wasted money on.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:49 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
OK, I think I understand it a lot better. I think I just need to junk this garbage gyro. It's a shame, I see lots of people use them with no problems. I got mine working great on the work table but on spoolup it goes wacky.
http://youtu.be/3SNIZqOUoS8
OK thats interesting !

Now I got similar behavior when my gain was too low ...

Put everything back to 120% - Two pots on gyro ..

Unplug servo from gyro .. Make sure the gyro is set to Analog or digital to match the servo - Go analog [ this wont hurt a digital servo ] but being on digital will hurt a analog servo ... Tiny little dip switches ..

Now power up the gyro with no servo connected ... Then turn of power ..

Plug in servo , and power up .. Does the servo travel in the right direction ? when inputting stick movement ?

What about when waving the heli about to test gyro , does the servo move in the correct direction ? to counter ?

If everything checks out ..

You can set end points VIA Tx or you can turn down the limit ..

Now , you have enabled Gyro in the Tx ? so you can adjust gain VIA Tx ?
Depending on Tx of course ..

Anyhow , 1st make sure the tail gyro does not bind in any direction [ end points ]

I usually leave the gyro alone and adjust gain VIA Tx , my simpler radios I mix in a twisty pot [ CT6B ] to do this ,

Anyhow , with everything set to max , servo and gyro working in the correct direction , I then begin to dial down gain till the wag goes away ..

If HH is an issue , and you can't tune it , try Rate mode .. Start from max and work your way down ..
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
OK, I think I understand it a lot better. I think I just need to junk this garbage gyro. It's a shame, I see lots of people use them with no problems. I got mine working great on the work table but on spoolup it goes wacky.
http://youtu.be/3SNIZqOUoS8
It behaves like it's not getting a control signal, or it didn't initialize right... but it clearly is getting a right signal from the stick. Maybe it's getting no gain signal? If the gain is on zero (center channel), it will act like that. That doesn't seem to be it either because it listens to your switch. But, the video shows a gyro basically doing nothing. To me that all adds up to broken.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
Yeah, we're at the point where I am wasting time, even if I am doing something wrong. I just hate to waste the Gy401, I was saving it for a nicer heli. But heck, I'm trying to learn real CP helis here, so it's worthwhile I guess. I'm just going to try the GY401. Do I need to bother to download instructions? It works the same way as the other 2 gyros I have. I guess I can always get another gy401, they are always for sale and I will also have a spare Align gyro if I install flymentor on my real T-rex
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:42 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
387 Posts
If you're at the end of your rope, try changing your gyro mounting method. I fought with a tail wag for the better part of a month. I finally started grasping at straws, just trying anything. I had the gyro mounted on a piece of foam, a heavy metal plate, then another piece of foam, then the gyro. I got rid of all that stuff, and just had 1 piece of foam, then the gyro. Problem solved!

apparently, that specific combo of stuff was creating a mushy mounting surface, and the gyro was resonating like it was on Jello at flight speed. It worked great at half throttle, or at full throttle, and sometimes even at hover...but during forward flight it just went nuts.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:10 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
I put a GY401 on my HK450, works great. You got it, might as well use it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:26 AM
WOS
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
Plain and simple, the gy401 futaba just works.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
Im going to try just one piece of foam tape first, then ditch it. Right now I have two pieces on there
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:24 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
OK, I put the Futaba on it and it does the SAME DAMN THING! I cranked the gain and it got a bit better, but it would move the tail slow then drift. Not sharp tail movements like I expect. I'm at a total loss now. Ready to give up on collective pitch. There's nothing else I can do. If the Futaba wont hold, nothing will. I have watched countless videos and it looks very simple and easy but mine wont work. Works fine when you first power it up but once you spin up, you might as well have no tail servo.

OK, I might have found something... I stepped on the turntable and spooled it up to watch the tail. The slider is binding. The servo is moving left and right twisting in it's mount trying to correct and the slider wont move. I can't understand it. I can swap the tail out with another unit, but nothing is wrong with it. I have V1 units and some metal V2 units. But how can it be smooth stationary and then get stuck spinning. Even when I spin the head by hand and move the slider by hand, it's fine.
Last edited by shahram72; Jan 28, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:32 PM
WOS
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
You have binding somewhere. is your tail control wire going through any holders or guides??
I have seen it bind that way as well. I personally dont like the wire tail control rod and use carbon fiber control rods instead so no holder or guides are needed
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:37 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
Yes, it goes through control rod guides, but it moves fine when it's still. I am swapping out the whole tail unit for a new one now (I have tons of parts). We'll see soon. I will check the linkage as well.

So it's not the gyro. I'm putting the old one back on. I really want to have one of those "cheapest clones" to show off. When I am sucessful, I will build my real Align Super sport and I have a HK450FBL kit as well.

EDIT:

IT WORKED!!!! For a few minutes anyway. I saw the heli spin and lock left and right, but then the slider started to bind on this one as well. It is where the bearing actually slides on the tail rotor shaft. You can't see anything wrong with it, it moves smooth as glass, just locks up under speed. This makes NO sense. I have a metal tail unit from a HK450GT I can use. If that one binds, the something is causing it. This almost needs a new thread, I am hijacking the OP's thread and my problem is unique. This should just work! I seem to have the most problems!
Last edited by shahram72; Jan 28, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
We had this problem on the original 250 and it was caused.gy the bearing in the tail blade grip. When under load they would lock up, but seem fine otherwise so, maybe its the blade grips
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. Because I can see the slider arm move, or try to at least. The binding is not in the linkage or slider, at rest anyway, the blades just won't change pitch. I guess the centrifugal forces cause the binding and that's why I don't see it at rest. This is what caused my first crash. I can change just the tail grips out, I have a set of metal grips that should have bearings in them. This one MIGHT have bushings like the head did (I replaced them with bearings) and that is a BIG problem. Now I know what to check next. Thanks so much. I am learning so much... Now I see why clones are not good for beginners. But a perfectly working Align would have never taught me all this stuff.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:37 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
It was the Align 250 that showed that issue to all of us. We had never seen it before until Align created it.