HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:25 PM
No flying at the Control Tower
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman View Post
We had a Phosgene cyl rupture at the plant one evening. When a high pressure cyl fails it does incredible things...We had a new guy who had only been there a couple of days and he suddenly decided the gas biz was not for him. The reaction in the cyl had to go past 10,000 psi to cause that type of failure. We traced it back to a caustic suck back into the cyl before filling...What a mess. Thank goodness no one was working that night.
Phosgene will **** your **** up with the delightful odour of fresh grass
karikamiya is offline Find More Posts by karikamiya
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:04 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,706 Posts
My latest safety improvement, all shiny and new.

It's not quite a proper flammables bin, but I'll sleep better than before, when I had an open 30 gallon trash can loaded with paint and thinner-soaked paper towels

It's kind of a pain actually, it's a two handed operation to get the lid off...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Good idea Pat, maybe I should change out the plastic one I have for a metal one---?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,706 Posts
A lid, at least...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,235 Posts
Or use a small jar with a screw on lid to store bad stuff in.
Though I always take oil soaked anything outside to dry out and wait for the trash to go to the dump.
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
I also have a Kidde fire extinguisher on hand in the shop for that "hey, you never know" occasion.

Fortunately, I've never had to use it---.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:52 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,859 Posts
sawdust mixed with other things can do some interesting things(always empty the shop vac), linseed oil on cotton rags is an almost sure fire just waiting for you to turn your back...
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:41 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith View Post
sawdust mixed with other things can do some interesting things(always empty the shop vac), linseed oil on cotton rags is an almost sure fire just waiting for you to turn your back...
One of my members made a living giving fire precautions lectures. His take on linseed oil and cotton rags was that linseed oil based products (e.g. enamel paint) do not entirely set by just air drying, the linseed oil does slowly oxidize. Or in ordinary speak, burns. The process is slow enough so that on a flat surface, there is no problem. On a cloth or piece of cotton waste, however, there is a very large surface area and a very small volume. The heating effect is enhanced, and if enough volatiles and air mixture is there, you do get spontaneous combustion.
One of his cases was traced to a pile of rags that had been used to clean a pain spill that cooked itself overnight and set itself off when it got a bit of help from sunlight early the next day.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:00 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,235 Posts
I can see how stuff like this can happen but to tell you the truth,
I've always laid the rags out flat, on an old board, outside. Never once had a problem.
They usually end up hard and dry over a few days.
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:07 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morris View Post
I can see how stuff like this can happen but to tell you the truth,
I've always laid the rags out flat, on an old board, outside. Never once had a problem.
They usually end up hard and dry over a few days.
Nice and flat is the clue - its the untidy screwed-up heap that causes the problem. Because the slow build-up of heat has nowhere to go, the temperature inside the heap rises to the point where ignition can happen. Laid flat, the excess temperature just dissipates.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
I tend to be very careful with flammable liquids in my shop, and keep them in sealed containers away from any heat source.

Acetone, acrylic lacquer thinner and methyl ethyl ketone are among the chemicals I work with regularly, all of which are highly combustible.