HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:24 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,330 Posts
I have to say though, growing up on the farm, we used these propane bottles all the time and never took the torch heads off. Never had em leak down. Wonder if its just a cheaper method they use now a days? Just strange something that growing up with , we never had an issue with, but I as well have seen these cylinder leak as of recently.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:32 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
194 Posts
Here's one more: I manage the machine shop for an R&D firm here in California. A few years back, I was soldering some project components together, using a propane torch. It was a fairly intricate assembly and I had everything jigged up on my welding table. At the day's end, I still had some soldering to do, but figured I'd wrap it up in the morning. I turned the torch off, shut out the lights and went home. You can imagine my surprise the following morning, when I turned the gas valve on to light the torch--and it reignited on its own. Yep, the valve didn't close completely and the torch had been "idling" all night. There probably wasn't any real danger, since it was sitting on a large metal welding table, but the thought did occur to me that this could have happened anywhere that torch was used. So, once I finish using a propane torch, I remove the cylinder from the torch head.
Moeregaard is online now Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:19 AM
ELECTRIC R/C
Jsutherland8's Avatar
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
Bomb in the workshop

Gas and combustable detectors are also a good idea in the house and garage. Just like a CO or smoke detector, they plug in to 110 volts and will warn you when there is a problem. Nitro fuel, gas, thinners, paint, propane, and any spray cans can all be dangerous, if not stored in a dry,vented, temperate location. The garage is NOT alwaws the best spot ! Some sheds and garages get HOT, too hot to store flamibles. A cool not too cold well vented location is the best place to store all fuels, thinners, and paint. Water base products are good if they do not get too cold or too hot, and need little venting. Some houses have a block wall cellar under a front or back poarch, that could be ok. A vented area is not easy to find in some homes. Keep items of concern away from exits and away from ignition sources.

Common sence and reading all lables will help you store your hazadous items in a safe place.

LIPO Batteries should also be delt with as an explosive, and properly disposed of when they are no good.

I will have to go move some Nitro fuel, as I have a new can just inside the side door.

The Caps for Propane is a good idea, and I think I will get some, seeing as I have 6 or 7 cylinders for plumbing and camping at any given time.
Jsutherland8 is offline Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:28 PM
Registered User
aurorae's Avatar
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
I have both propane and mapp gas cylinders under my bench, and have never had any leaking problems.
oooh kaaay then.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:01 PM
Registered User
fly2bob's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,904 Posts
For those that have a house w/ the water heater in the garage (typical), it's prolly not a good idea to keep these kind of tanks in there too. Just saying.
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:37 PM
No flying at the Control Tower
karikamiya's Avatar
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
As a Canadian, This poses an interesting problem due to the nature of our houses.

Most houses are intricately and hermetically sealed for insulation purposes. We also have extensive furnace systems and water heater systems, most often in the "developed" or "semi-developed" full basement, something that i have found to be quite different from American houses, especially in the South. My Girlfriend is Floridian, and the differences in both average build quality and structural design is very apparent. While us Calgarians tend to have detached single family homes that are constructed of primarily wood and drywall resting on a 10-12 foot deep foundation of poured concrete, I have observed that houses in the Tampa area are primarily constructed of Masonry products, although this is just an observation that i haven't really thought of till now.

My current house has centrally monitored Fire (both IR Heat and Smoke), Explosive gas and CO detectors, as both mandated and recommended by the current building code due to the extensive use of piped NG as a primary fuel source. I would never consider actually storing flammable gas or liquid products in what is essentially a tinderbox. My garage services this purposes amicably, except that liquids tend to freeze at -45C.

TL;DR: lack of ventilation + wood house = lolfire
karikamiya is offline Find More Posts by karikamiya
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
Registered User
fly2bob's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,904 Posts
Can members who aren't even in the any of our hobbies advertising their non related merchandise be banned and their memberships revoked / accounts closed ?
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:40 PM
Registered User
Robert Pulse's Avatar
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,407 Posts
stupid posts

BUY BUY!
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:47 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
patmat2350's Avatar
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob View Post
Can members who aren't even in the any of our hobbies advertising their non related merchandise be banned and their memberships revoked / accounts closed ?
Yep, just report them
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:44 AM
Registered User
fly2bob's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,904 Posts
Don't know how to report them, but apparently somebody did.
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:27 AM
Registered User
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob View Post
Don't know how to report them, but apparently somebody did.
Just look at the line at the top of the post involved, on the right is a button marked "Report". Click that.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:27 PM
Registered User
fly2bob's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,904 Posts
Oh yeah duh. Thanks.
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:44 PM
Registered User
fly2bob's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,904 Posts
Well if your water heater, which has a pilot flame, is in your basement, and your garage doesn't have any pilot flames for anything in it, keeping your propane cylinder in the garage seems perfectly fine. Most houses in the US are also made of wood and drywall. But in hurricane or tornado areas, houses made from masonry products is typical due to better structural integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikamiya View Post
As a Canadian, This poses an interesting problem due to the nature of our houses.

Most houses are intricately and hermetically sealed for insulation purposes. We also have extensive furnace systems and water heater systems, most often in the "developed" or "semi-developed" full basement, something that i have found to be quite different from American houses, especially in the South. My Girlfriend is Floridian, and the differences in both average build quality and structural design is very apparent. While us Calgarians tend to have detached single family homes that are constructed of primarily wood and drywall resting on a 10-12 foot deep foundation of poured concrete, I have observed that houses in the Tampa area are primarily constructed of Masonry products, although this is just an observation that i haven't really thought of till now.

My current house has centrally monitored Fire (both IR Heat and Smoke), Explosive gas and CO detectors, as both mandated and recommended by the current building code due to the extensive use of piped NG as a primary fuel source. I would never consider actually storing flammable gas or liquid products in what is essentially a tinderbox. My garage services this purposes amicably, except that liquids tend to freeze at -45C.

TL;DR: lack of ventilation + wood house = lolfire
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:31 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
patmat2350's Avatar
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,350 Posts
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:54 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,665 Posts
We had a Phosgene cyl rupture at the plant one evening. When a high pressure cyl fails it does incredible things...We had a new guy who had only been there a couple of days and he suddenly decided the gas biz was not for him. The reaction in the cyl had to go past 10,000 psi to cause that type of failure. We traced it back to a caustic suck back into the cyl before filling...What a mess. Thank goodness no one was working that night.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Last edited by Gravman; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold FMS 5 Channel B-25 bomber with bomb bay C. Alan Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Jan 26, 2013 01:15 PM
Sold Bomb Drop kit with Bomb shua757 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Jan 06, 2013 10:32 AM
Discussion Bomb, bomb, bomb.... bomb bomb Iran! wingbeat Life, The Universe, and Politics 66 Jul 04, 2008 02:54 AM
Discussion Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran... Miami Mike Life, The Universe, and Politics 33 Apr 30, 2008 05:12 PM
Discussion Building a Workshop - What is one thing you can't do without in your workshop? Salter Foamies (Kits) 7 Jun 18, 2006 01:03 PM