HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:52 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,429 Posts
Bomb

I work for a company that has about 500+- homes that they sell rent to own. My job is garage doors and city inspections for the most part. I think that you would be suprised at how many of them that have hazardous items around their water heater or furnace. Anything from extreme lint build up around their dryers to storing their weed eater next to the furnace. I have even seen people using their gas dryer without an exhaust tube vented outside. For most people common sense says not to do it, but there are lots of people out there without any common sense I guess. Iowa law states that their has to be a three foot clear area around the furnace and water heater. That does not include gas cans lawn mowers and the like. I think they (the city) think people are smart enough to not store that type of item near the furnace or water heater. (NOT) I see it all the time. Even have seen welding equipment in basements. Bedrooms with no egress windows, only the basement steps to get out if there was a fire. So much clutter and trash that you could not even walk around in the basement butted up against the furnace or water heater. And we wonder why there are explosions and fires in houses. Each time I find this type of hazard I let the people know that it is a hazard and needs to be cured immediately, while I am there. Some comply, some say they will get to it later. All I can do is document the hazard and CMA. Understand these are only the ones I get into. Just think how many are out there that never get inspected. More of my two cents.
Bob
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:19 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Tell me more about the lint around a gas dryer...

Mine is vented outside, and has a lint trap that gets emptied after every use. What else should I be aware of?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:56 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Tom, have you noticed it takes longer to dry your clothes than it used to? If so, you could have lint build up in your dryer, your vent hose, or clogging the vent cap(where the hose exits your home. I noticed a drop of my dryers performance and come to find out all the above were clogged with tons of lint. They make something that looks like a large pipe cleaner that works pretty good
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:07 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
My in-laws had a fire from a clogged lint filter that almost burned their house down a few years ago.

Their problem was a very long pipeline from the dryer to where it exited.

I have since watched my own dryer line, needless to say---.

Not a bad idea---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:28 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,996 Posts
Several years ago, a mate of mine used part of an aerosol of expanding foam. Being frugal, he cleaned the head and pipe and looked for somewhere to put it. The label said "store in a cool place away from sunlight". His workshop is an unused garage, and also contains a fridge. Cool, dark, obviously ideal. Store and forget. A few months later in the dead of night there was "a heck of a bang" and when he went to look, there was his fridge with a bandy frame and the door off.
It was later, after he found bits of the filler can embedded in the door frame that he worked out that the propellant had leaked, the insides of the fridge was a sealed container, and when the propellant gas got level with the thermostat contacts, the switching spark set it off.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:15 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,928 Posts
We had a slow cooker malfunction so the temperature didn't cycle on and off. It remained on. You would be surprised how hot they can get. You could not keep your hand on the Formica counter top under it but it wasn't ruined fortunately. Don't leave them unattended. We have no intention of ever getting another one.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:48 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,859 Posts
the gas bottle tops are great, besides adding a layer safety to stored cyl's they prevent dirt and crud clogging things.. try to keep your torch heads in a container that keeps them clean also..
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
I worked in the compressed gas industry for 35 years and I have seen so many incident reports and one thing is certain. Failures in these type of cyls/valves happen a lot more than most folks realize. I went to several customer response locations when they had venting with this type of set up...things get scary. You dodged a big time bullet. I am very glad it turned out the way it did.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,429 Posts
Lint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Tell me more about the lint around a gas dryer...

Mine is vented outside, and has a lint trap that gets emptied after every use. What else should I be aware of?
Lots of people think that those expandible plastic exhaust pipes will work but I dont recoment them as they kink and block the air flow from the dryer, collect lint and puncture easly. I have my dryer hard piped to the outside. You still have to clean them regularly, along with the dryer. The dryer traps (most) are only about 60% efficient at catching all the lint. Run your hand across a little used shelf in the laundry room and if you have a lot of dust you may want to give your dryer a check up.
Bob
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:35 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Thanks Tim and Bob. I am going to perform an inspection and cleaning of my dryer vent pipe and outlet.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:07 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,348 Posts
Me to,
Thank You
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,224 Posts
Hmmm... I'm picturing fishing a line from the outside of the house to the dryer and attaching some sort of bristley ball (porcupine) and pulling it to the outside. Repeat as required until the porcupine comes through clean.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:16 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops52 View Post
Hmmm... I'm picturing fishing a line from the outside of the house to the dryer and attaching some sort of bristley ball (porcupine) and pulling it to the outside. Repeat as required until the porcupine comes through clean.
Sort of horizontal chimney sweeping?
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:34 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,894 Posts
I don't use the dryer so I didn't see any change in behavior until my wife told me it wouldn't work. It's vented to the outside through a ridgid pipe. Turns out the pipe was filled witjh lint. Service rep replaced the dryer thermostat and cleaned out the pipe. I'll now go move my extra propane tank from the attached garage to the shed.

dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:58 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,429 Posts
Boom

Hey
by the way, Other than being set up on purpose by the homeowner, did they ever figure out what caused that massive explosion in the Indiana neighborhood?
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/11/us/ind...ode/index.html