HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:30 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,703 Posts
Discussion
Bomb in the workshop

For years, I've kept my propane bottles and torch in a drawer under my workbench.

Today, I was doing a little silver solder work... finished, put the torch and bottle away, then realized I needed to solder one more item. Pulled out the bottle... and heard a wee little "hisssss". It was leaking at the schraeder valve. And oddly, it wasn't making much smell.

I shudder to think what would have happened if I had left the bottle there... my workbench is about three feet from the water heater and furnace.

It's now out on the front porch where it will stay until it starts to behave better.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:37 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
I have noticed this too,now lately I leave the torch connected.Maybe spray with some soapy water to check for leaks?
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:42 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,703 Posts
From Benzomatic's site:

"Store fuel cylinders away from living spaces..."

Not a good idea to store them with the torch head attached... the schraeder valve is propped open, and your only seal is the valve in the torch head.
Maybe a good gasketed cap installed on the bottle would let me sleep better... not even sure if anyone makes one?

Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,703 Posts
Caps: yep, they do.

http://www.cabelas.com/heaters-acces...Fa5DMgodLkMA-w
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:05 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
724 Posts
I always store mine with the torch removed. That way if the C3 bottle falls, at least there is no long appendage to break off and leak.
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:08 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
I have both propane and mapp gas cylinders under my bench, and have never had any leaking problems.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,723 Posts
Put the torch on the bottle and remove it again, then check with some soapy water, a speck of material from inside the bottle.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:23 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
Torch

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER!
In the house!!! I could care less if my garage burnt down but not where I sleep.
The only thing I would use a torch in the house for is sweating pipes, otherwise the torch is stored out in the garage.... It's all insured and can be replaced. My life cannot.
My two cents!
Bob
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:17 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,927 Posts
When I removed the torch head, I had one start discharging gas in a big white cloud once. Fortunately I was outside, but I had a charcoal grill burning at the time. The cloud passed just under the grill and I threw the bottle into the woods. This also happened to a friend in his basement. He threw his out through the window. As a result I do all my plumbing with compression fittings and pipe threads.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:18 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,668 Posts
Show the leaker to the air lock and JETTISON!!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:49 PM
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
591 Posts
My propane and MAPP are in the garage, which is also my workshop. The oxy-acetylene rig is in the shed.
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:54 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
777 Posts
A few years ago I was working in a remote community on the west coast of the island and the power had been out for a few hours. Fellow had placed his propane tank with light on the electric range, gone off to visit another family - power came on, range element heated up - I wasn't far from the house when it literally blew up - was a write off - no fire but explosion blew the gutters off, blew out the windows - luckily no one was injured. Keep mine out in the garage as well!
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
I'll be right back....I need to move something :-)
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
OK, got that taken care of. Something I never thought of before I got a warning note, don't place any magnifier/magnifying glass near a window. Magnifier +sunshine. = FIRE. The 3rd hand I have came with a warning of this possibility.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,417 Posts
After I soaked my cell phone in the pond last summer, I spent the evening
going through OLD cell phones looking for something to use till wet cell phone dried out.
What I found was two cell phones with batteries all puffed up from being neglected over the years.

Removed both batteries and later disposed of them.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki