HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by justinlee1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
325 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Wanted
REWARD for return of lost Quadcopter

Thursday afternoon at 4PM I was flying my RC quad helicopter near the corner of Akers Mill Road & Galleria Drive when I lost sight of it. I pushed full throttle, hoping to see it rise up but I never did. Spent the next six hours with a flashlight, battery, video receiver, and monitor walking around the properties from Cobb Galleria to Akers Mill shopping center.

I've spoken to quite a few of the security guards at the buildings and no one has seen it. I think it may be somewhere between the Wavery hotel, Akers Mill shopping center, and Cobb Energy Center. It could be in a parking lot, or stuck in a tree or in the bushes. I think it could have drifted as far south as Sam Ash music store, the theater, or as far West as Cumberland mall, and as fast East as I-75.

The Copter is a DJI flame wheel 450 frame with red and white arms, it has a Spektrum 8000 receiver, a GoPro Hero 2 video camera, Naza flight controller & GPS, and a Paralinx Arrow 5.8Ghz video transmitter. I would love to get this back and am offering a GENEROUS REWARD to anyone who manages to find it, even if it's by calling local businesses to see if anyone has turned it in.

The GoPro was running, so if someone local picks it up hopefully they will figure out how to look at the video and ID myself and my building: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13592239324593
Otherwise, please keep an eye out for anyone selling these items around town that says they found them, or appears to have no apparent reason for having them (Having half of a wireless HD kit and obviously not in the hobby)

Please email me or call me at (404)384-1779. I also have a listing posted in RCGroups Atlanta section with additional information: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1816980

Thanks
Justin
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
617 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
Did your rth function fail?????
DbleX is online now Find More Posts by DbleX
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
626 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
Nothing but bad things with naza..sorry about your lost hopefully you find it.
xhover is offline Find More Posts by xhover
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:45 PM
United States, KY, Hardin
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
sorry to hear that
did your battery wear down on you because other than that the RTH should have brought it back
one of the things I like about my ground station is it shows me last received gps cordinates so I can put them in my cars gps and go right to it or at least within a few yards
a dvr recording the OSD if you had OSD would have been good also
after about 2 hours the batteries are no longer any good as they will drop to low to recover 80% of the time
but the rest would still be ok. It could be as you said in a tree or brush
most likely on a roof somewhere around there

maybe someone else with a quad a fpv could scout it for you
satgod is online now Find More Posts by satgod
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Nov 2010
132 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhover View Post
Really? He lost sight of it and that means the DJI FC was at fault. How did you come up with that. BTW sorry you lost your gear.
Kopterkat is online now Find More Posts by Kopterkat
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:58 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhover View Post
Apparently, you have info that is not available in this thread, as he didn't say naza was at fault. I have 2 naza controllers and nothing but good things, so far.

To the OP- Good luck with your search.

edit- oops I really need to stop multi-tasking when I hit reply.
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:37 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,023 Posts
Trader Rating: 149
Justin,
Hey bro, really sorry to hear about your loss! You're not alone and man it's sure a terrible feeling to have your pride and joy fly away like that.... This week I finally had enough of constantly worrying about another loss and invested in this RF tracker which will easily find a quad if it landed less then about 8 miles away.
http://www.com-spec.com/rcplane/index.html
The amount of FPV pilots getting these is increasing, and some of us would even consider lending-out the receiver (the expensive part) to someone that has a loss if they are a trusted regular around here. That means the possibility of protecting your investment for as little as $50 -$100 and never having to worry about this type of thing again. There are also some even less expensive options out there that do the same basic thing. Not saying it's a substitute for a good setup and good preparation, but there are so many darn variables with this sport that theres always the potential for something to go wrong... Sure hope your quad gets found, and best of luck with the search. In case anyone asks... I have no affiliation with this company... Just sharing what I see as a great way to protect our expensive investments.

Once again, sorry for your loss!!
tracker (3 min 17 sec)
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
I am sure he put his address and phone number in several places on his quad. Most do I have stickers in 5 places on my F450
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
10 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
I found it in my backyard in France!!

LOL sorry
albibouz is online now Find More Posts by albibouz
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:00 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
887 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
DJI + Spektrum... what could go wrong?
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:49 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
325 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Thanks for the words of support and suggestion for the RF tracker, which I agree looks like a great option.

I do want to clarify a couple if things:

1) The Naza was not at fault. It's been my only FC so far, but I loved how it flew and would get it again. When I lost sight I was in Atti mode instead of GPS mode, prolly because of haphazard video transmitter placement. I was also in a windy area. Had I been in GPS mode or have had Home Lock I likely would have been fine.

2) I would love to be able to place the blame on Spektrum or other equipment but the blame for this falls squarely on my piloting error. I could think of at least two dozen error points I had but the largest one was being so excited to test my ad-hoc FPV setup that I let excitement get in the way of better judgement.

Of course I knew to put my contact information on the quad, have the serial numbers written down, to read the manual to understand how RTH works, and to ask myself why I wasn't getting GPS lock. I knew all of those things and did none of them. I let my excitement to try something new and cool override the practice of systematically applying the things I knew that I was supposed to do, and unfortunately deserved nothing more of less than what I got in the loss of an expensive plane.

This has been a rather expensive lesson, but hopefully it's one I'll learn from and not repeat.
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:06 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Trader Rating: 61
man I used to live near very near that area, if I were still there I would help you look. I will send this out to a friend and maybe he can help.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:33 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad007 View Post
dji + spektrum... What could go wrong?
lol!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:19 AM
Mike Flyer
United States, NY
Joined Jan 2011
67 Posts
Trader Rating: 17
Man sorry for your loss, I had the same set up except I used frysky. Random things used to happen...set the rth and it took off...in the opposite direction, my friend joked that it was going over to my house. It flipped over every now and then, even when changing esc and motors...gave up quads and went back to planes because of the fact I was upset @ spending $700(new) on something that goes Bizerk every now and then. There could have been many things that went wrong. I do have a friends with the exact same set up and he has had no issues at all. I've seen the naza preform amazingly. I've also heard others have the same problem I've had. Guess its hit or Miss. Good luck finding your quad. I definitely know how this feels. I think we all can relate.
rellik demanon is online now Find More Posts by rellik demanon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:37 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
887 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
My friend was in NC and his GPS wouldn't lock. threw the plane anyways. well that's the one flight the video TX stopped working. $1200 zephyr down the drain....
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007