HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:51 AM
Knuckle dragging pilot
Canada, ON, Kitchener
Joined Feb 2001
176 Posts
Hi Keenan,

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of my 200% Bandit. Like you, I'm going with a 90mm edf setup running on 6s batteries. I started this last year, but got bogged down with some other planes so it got shelved for the time being. Hopefully now I can back to it, and get it finished for the spring.

In lieu of the depron, I've gone with 1/2" blue insulation, which I used to build my pusher prop Bandit of similar size. I'm also trying to incorporate a removable wing, as I find it much easier to transport that way. The fuse feels a little flimsy right now when the wing is removed, but I'm hoping that once the rest of the "sheeting" is glued in place it will be more rigid. Failing that, I'll install some carbon rods to stiffen it up.

Wing wise, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it. At this point I figure I have three options. One, leave it as a flat plane like the original design, and my other Bandit. Two, incorporate a kfm airfoil. Thirdly, a fully airfoiled wing with 6mm depron ribs glued to the 1/2" blue foam and 3mm depron for the top sheathing. The last option was my original intent when I started this. Part of the reason I wanted to go with the built up wing, was to be able to install retracts. At this point now though, I think I may forgo the retracts and just bungee launch it.

Look forward to seeing some pics of yours, as you progress.

Steve
Leadfoot is offline Find More Posts by Leadfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:54 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
Awesome Looking Bandit You've Got there! ... i look forward to seeing yours complete..
i am sticking the plans together right now, but will be done sticking soon!
im going to go for a Built up wing so i can install retracts (but im building a bungee launcher anyway !, just in case) haven't made my airfoil choice yet but im leaning toward a Thinned Clark Y at say 10% Thickness.

But any way i'll Post Some Pictures tommorow ..

K
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:55 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
that looks really nice Steve. I see you aren't too far away from me at all.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old May 13, 2013, 01:03 PM
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Thought I should chime in here. I have built three super bandits in the 70mm size and use the 3/4 pink foam for all of them. I just finished one this weekend. For your wing in blue or pink foam ... Take a rasp and just shape a symmetrical airfoil in the foam then finish it off with sand paper. Add a carbon spar in a channel and fill with gorilla glue. Glass when done. I have had excellent results with this for three bandits now. In this last one, my wing is removable with three nylon bolts. I will post don't pics if anyone is interested or if it will help you. I plan a 90mm next and eventually a 120mm.
NotFastEnuf is offline Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
Old May 13, 2013, 01:05 PM
Knuckle dragging pilot
Canada, ON, Kitchener
Joined Feb 2001
176 Posts
Pics would be great! I do want to get this plane finished, just seems like something else keeps jumping ahead in the line.

Thanks
Old May 13, 2013, 04:32 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
been busy,

have exams
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Last edited by Keenan smith; May 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
First off let me say I compliment your work so far and only hope to add to your success by sharing what has worked for me. With pink or blue foam, I find it can be easily shaped with the rough end of a rasp and then finished off with sand paper. I sculpt a symmetrical airfoil into the wing by shaping first with the rasp then using 100 grit sand paper to smooth it out. I then cut a channel into the foam and embed a carbon fiber rod as a spar. The carbon rod is glued with gorilla glue which expands to fill the gap. I then glass the entire wing with 3/4 cloth and WBPU - minwax polycrilic. Even if the airfoil is not exact - this works out far better than a flat plate wing and looks cooler too. I draw a centerline on the edges of the wing so I have something to work towards while I sand the leading and trailing edges down on top and bottom. I shape the wing, and horizontal and vertical surfaces on the tail this way. Hinges are live foam, and the WBPU soaked glass is like having duct tape reinforcement. I used to add hinge tape under the glass but found it unnecessary.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
For the removable wing, I used three hardwood blocks with blind nuts in them and 1/4-20 nylon bolts about two inches long. I fixed the first block in front between the two fuselage panels below the hatch area with hot glue. The two mounting points on the rear area of the wing were glued in the same way in the corners behind the edf mounting plate. To keep the nylon bolts from pulling through the foam wing, I drilled a hole in bottle caps and recessed them into the foam before the wing was glassed. A little hot glue holds them in place as well.
Last edited by NotFastEnuf; May 13, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:35 PM
Knuckle dragging pilot
Canada, ON, Kitchener
Joined Feb 2001
176 Posts
Thanks for posting your pictures, your bandit looks great! I think I'll definitely give the rasped airfoil a try, as I know how easily the blue foam can be worked.

Look forward to seeing the remainder of your pics when you have a chance.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
One other thing I have noticed is that I am working from different plans than the fuselage I see posted earlier here. I have a bulkhead about half way down my hatch area. The upper panel across the top of my inlet ducting is all one piece that extends from the bulkhead - across the entire top of the intake area - and all the way back to the horizontal tail surface. The turtle deck is built on top of this surface and the walls of the turtle deck were part of the nose/hatch side pieces. The end result is extremely stiff and has no torsional flexibility at all. I mention this because it was said earlier that fuselage flex may be an issue. I have not looked for the plans I used in three years, but I may have a copy saved if anyone wants to use them. They did have to be adapted for 3/4 pink foam from the original depron thickness. Below is my finished product in 36" wingspan.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
By the way leadfoot, I really understand stuff getting in the way. My jet looked just like yours hanging on my wall for almost two years! I finally got everything out of the way to finish it about two weeks ago. I really wanted to build a 90mm version or even a 120mm but forced myself to finish this up first! I suggest you shape the airfoil right into that 1/2 inch foam. The thickest part of my 90mm viperjet is not much more than that. Plus the super sniper is a thin wing as well. Should make for a screaming fast jet! retracts would be great but require a thicker more draggy wing. Have you ever glassed a foam plane with WBPU? Unbelievably strong and very light! It's like wrapping a plane in duck tape but much lighter! I have hit the ground nose in and tossed it right back in the air! It will dent and wrinkle on impact - but it takes A LOT to come apart. I would use that technique on the fuselage but would consider epoxy and glass on the wings. Credit card epoxy over the fiberglass evenly and lay wax paper over it. Makes a great smooth finish - second only to vacuum bag method.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
Knuckle dragging pilot
Canada, ON, Kitchener
Joined Feb 2001
176 Posts
Thanks for all the pictures and information! I have used WBPU many times before, but have not tried glassing with it as of yet. Certainly would be worth giving a try on the Bandit.

I think now what I might do is laminate a second layer of the 1/2" blue foam on the wing, then carve the airfoil from there. The extra thickness is probably not a bad thing, given that my wing is slightly larger than yours.... somewhere between 45-50", would have to measure again to be sure.

I'll be sure to post more pics as I get back to it again.

Steve
Old May 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Good point on the wingspan. You could always cut a new wing too from the 3/4 pink foam. That would be enough for sure with a carbon spar and wbpu glass. I will start my 90mm build soon and check back in when I have made some progress too. When you go to lay the glass cloth, hit the surface with some 3m spray adhesive. Try to avoid wrinkles, its tough, then just brush on the wbpu. Good luck and have fun!!!