HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:38 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,619 Posts
Discussion
Powerlab 6, or, ICharger 306B?

I have read the specs and they are about the same. Is one of these actually better, or is it just personal preference?
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:09 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,238 Posts
I am interested in where this goes as well. I had a 306B when I flew 8S (two 4S 5300's) in my 71" Slick and it did an amazing job. I sold it and kept my 106b for my small electrics and move my big to gas. But now I have have added flying 6S planes as well and now I am also split between the two.
You know you will need a 24v power supply to take advantage of both of these. I believe the PL6 has a better/faster balance with a larger discharge capacity on the balance. The PL6 might be easier with a 1 button push but really the 306 is quite simple to use. I am not fond of the PL6 having only one 6S balance ports and you have to use the adapter boards to use smaller cell batteries. As for the extra 10A of power you need to do the match and see if that is worth it for you with the charging that you do.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,178 Posts
Very different. 1 amp of balancing vs 500ma. Usable presets vs, cumbersome presets. 30 amps vs 40 amps. A working discharge feature vs one that should not be used. PC software written in English to manage charger presets, charger options and chart charge cycles. Vs no PC software to manage the charger. 3rd party German software to view logs, not as useable or complete as the Powerlab software.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:13 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,039 Posts
I own 4 iChargers (three 106B and one 306B) and use them exclusively. I am very happy with them and have never had the slightest hint of trouble. That said, if I were buying today I would absolutely choose a PL6 over a 306B due to higher power capability, generally better build quality, and feature set that Greg mentions.

I would likely get a 106B+ as well to have a backup and to retain some of the iCharger features that I personally cannot live without.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:44 PM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
502 Posts
I can't speak to the iCharger but I just received my new PL6. I too had looked over all the options, focusing on the PL6, PL8 and the iCharger series. I haven't had but a few days to play with the PL6 but I have to say I'm impressed with it. Much more capable than my other, older tech, chargers. And I too am considering getting a iCharger 106B+ to add to the arsenal. With all the different batteries I have one charger, even an awesome one, isn't going to cut it.

Mike
MikeCr is online now Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:55 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
And I too am considering getting a iCharger 106B+ to add to the arsenal. With all the different batteries I have one charger, even an awesome one, isn't going to cut it.

Mike
Well for all of you guys still thinking of adding a iCharger 106B+ to your PL6 please give me a shout when you are ready. I need to sell mine so I can buy the PowerLab . I also have the 350W Junsi power supply. Please shoot me a PM.
Last edited by Ohio AV8TOR; Jan 26, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Well for all of you guys still thinking of adding a iCharger 106B+ to your PL6 please give me a shout when you are ready. I need to sell mine so I can buy the PowerLab . I also have the 35W Junsi power supply. Please shoot me a PM.
35W? That a typo?

I've got a iCharger 306b. Need another charger, trying to decide between PL6 & PL8 still. The iCharger is a great straight forward charger but the programming in the PL6/PL8 just looks great.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:00 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
35W? That a typo?

I've got a iCharger 306b. Need another charger, trying to decide between PL6 & PL8 still. The iCharger is a great straight forward charger but the programming in the PL6/PL8 just looks great.
Yes thanks I corrected it. It is 350w.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:39 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,627 Posts
I think that the Power Lab’s are far superior chargers in the ease of use and features. I very much like the PC interface with all the customizing charger features. They are well worth the extra money.

I also have an iCharger but it seldom gets used.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:07 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
922 Posts
I have the i306 and it works fine. The discharge feature requires an external resistor to handle the power. They don't do a real good job of explaining how to figure the reistor value. Well they give you the formulas but not what the discharge current limts are.

I read consistant good things about PL but really I don't need to mess with my charger a lot. I just power it up, set the current and charge my batteries.
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:43 AM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,238 Posts
Okay so I saw this Product selector guide on the Revolectrix site, scroll down to CHARGING SCENARIOS: and I see something disappointing and brings the PL6 and the iCharger 306 closer than I read in posts supporting the PL6. According to this on the PL6 you can only charge to 32.3A (not 40A) for 6S batteries using a 24V PS, am I reading this right?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:54 AM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
That said, if I were buying today I would absolutely choose a PL6 over a 306B due to higher power capability, generally better build quality, and feature set that Greg mentions.

I would likely get a 106B+ as well to have a backup and to retain some of the iCharger features that I personally cannot live without.

Mark
Great advice thanks, would you please share what those iCharger features are that you can't live without are.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:29 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,700 Posts
I have two PL8's. I've always been concerned by the constant number of problems people report with the iChargers and the number of firmware bug fixes they release. I need something that works and works well.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:41 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Okay so I saw this Product selector guide on the Revolectrix site, scroll down to CHARGING SCENARIOS: and I see something disappointing and brings the PL6 and the iCharger 306 closer than I read in posts supporting the PL6. According to this on the PL6 you can only charge to 32.3A (not 40A) for 6S batteries using a 24V PS, am I reading this right?
I think thatís an old chart. The later PL chargers and latest firmware allow charging at higher current. Thatís one of the big problems with charts like that Ė keeping the data current.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I think thatís an old chart. The later PL chargers and latest firmware allow charging at higher current. Thatís one of the big problems with charts like that Ė keeping the data current.
The chart is correct, you need a 30v input in order to get a full 1000W out on the PL6.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic