SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:40 PM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Video
Radian Crash - Flying through the fog

I knew this wasn't a great idea to fly though fog but we went ahead anyway. The fog was lifting so I decided to go up a little higher which was my second mistake. I decided to make a circle out to get a shot of my Dad's house, third mistake with the wind. Then a cloud flew in between us and that's the last we saw of the plane. I pushed down to see if I could get it out of the cloud, and then tried giving it a little power to see if I could hear where the plane was. Looking at the video, that was another mistake.

A replacement plane has been purchased and we are trying to see if this one will actually go back together with some epoxy. I can't say enough about the GoPro. We are guessing it was doing somewhere around 100mph when it hit and it didn't miss a single frame!

Parkzone Radian Crash - Flying through the fog. (3 min 59 sec)
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
WHEW!! how fast was it going on impact. 50mph? 60?

EDIT: 100, wow thats fast!!!
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Last edited by jimmy boo; Jan 25, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Well, we can't be 100% sure of the speed, but doing a little math we figured it came down from around 2,000 feet and we calculated about a 12-15 second drop. At 15 seconds that's 133 fps. If my calculations are correct, 60mph is 88fps. So 133fps should be 90mph. A 12 second drop would be 166fps, which should be 113mph. Now none of that is taking into account the fact that the speed increased as it dropped. Meaning the final speed was probably a little higher. All I know is that it is screaming as the ground rushes up.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:33 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
^it seems like you gained control/orientation right before the crash and maxed out the elevator to try to avoid the crash, if its true, I'm amazed your elevator didn't just fly off, to think how much force planes can take these days, amazing!!
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:41 AM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
The trick to cloud flying, is to always make sure you stay within an opening where you can see some blue sky background. Nice altitude!
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
I actually had full sight of the plane except for the few seconds it was in the cloud, and obviously when it started going down. For the first cloud I went into I let it drop out and then sat there for a short bit and decided to make a right turn and go downwind a little. Right before it goes down you can see my house and my shop (big white building to the right). If you watch a lower flying cloud/bank of fog rolls in from the left of the screen to the right of the screen and obscures my view of the plane. I pretty much had it in sight right until that point. I was pushing the nose down, not knowing how much closer to me the obscuring cloud was.

It's not the first glider we have lost and I am sure it won't be the last. Just part of the territory. It was very interesting to see what actually happened. The view looked just lovely from up there.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:44 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,719 Posts
One trick I've used before after watching my plane get sucked up into the base of a cloud is the same I use for escaping hat sucker thermals.....just put it into a spin. Power off, control stick to the lower left, and watch it drop out in a lazy flat spin. Even if you lose it, the landing won't be as bad as a nose dive.
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Well after a few days of gluing, soldering, and lots of hugs she's back in the air. Got in about an hours worth of flying on Saturday and a full one hour flight Sunday.