SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Problems with a Vapor..

I just got this vapor used and it seems kind of goofy.. Throttle doesn't work.. Rudder and elevator are fine. I can turn the radio off then back on and the throttle will work for just a second.. And it sort of pulses. I made a video showing what's going on..

Vapor problems (1 min 10 sec)

Any ideas?
SloppyJosh is offline Find More Posts by SloppyJosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:40 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,068 Posts
I can give you a few general ideas..

Did you get the manual?
Fresh Batteries, charged up.
Bind the TX/RX farther apart.
Clean the motor gearing.

Do a close, under magnification, inspection of everything.

Repeat the binding several times, making sure you keep the throttle all the way down/off. Bind away from large metal objects like the washer/dryer/fridge, etc.

Check for loose or frayed wiring

I have a Mini-Vapor and got one little bit of grit in the gears. Getting it out made a major difference in performance. Also, after my 10yr daughter had a major wall impact with it I discovered the motor mount had cracked/broken when I got home to the hangar for a post flight inspection.

Other than generalities like these....you may have some e-brick issues that another more experienced flyer may suggest fixes for.

and lastly - WELCOME! to rcgroups from another new member!

Steve
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the info, I didn't get the manual but I've found it online.

I'm wondering about the batteries, my accucell charger says they're charged, they show ~4v on them. I tried running them on the discharge cycle and it almost immediately says they're discharged, but then when I try to charge it says they're completely charged. I've wondered if they just don't have the current in them to drive the motor for more than a few seconds causing the rest of the system to brownout.

Something I didn't show in the video is that while the prop is spinning, control over the rudder and elevator is very jerky.

I may try to power it externally from a larger power supply just to see if that solves the problem.. If it's just a matter of needing a new set of batteries that's no problem.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
That's the first Vapor I've seen with a blue LED. Previous owner must have installed it, unless the first original 3-CH brick came with it and I just don't remember. I've also never seen one pulse like the 6400 before either. If it was something in the gearbox it would be a fast ticking noise. The problem does look like your battery. I'm courious as to witch reciever you have, can you post a close up pic of it?
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Here's the controller.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:36 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
675 Posts
Looks like it has a msr brick in it. I have had that happen with batts showing good charge but wouldnt run even the Tail motor but a few seconds. Buy a new battery and try it before putting it on a charger to charge it. There should be enough charge in a new battery to see if it is going to run. My guess is your batteres.
Is the motor lead plugged into a jack or hardwired to the brick. If it is a plug, unconnect it from the brick and plug a batt directlyonto the motor and see if it runs longer. also possibly bad motor.

JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Yeap, I believe it's the batteries.

I pulled the plug off of one of the three I have, soldered some leads to it, then connected it to 3xAA batteries. It still would only control rudder and elevator unless I turned the plane on before the transmitter, but as long as I did it in that order, it seems to work fine. I ran it wide open for a couple of minutes and had smooth control over the rudder and elevator the whole time.

I've already got another set of batteries on the way.

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:12 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
114 Posts
I have a new Night Vapor I flew for the first time during a dome fly last night. Throttle cuts out when advancing the stick while on a fresh charge. Once the charge depletes slightly, the behavior is normal. Rudder/elevator are unaffected.

My older, standard Vapors don't exhibit this behavior. I rebound, it seemed to help somewhat but the problem still isn't eliminated.

I was thinking of calling Horizon on Monday.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:42 AM
Canada, ON, Niagara Falls
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
I think it's your batteries as well...New ones are going to eliminate that. However you may have a dead spot on the motor....if you throttle up with no prop action, try to manually spin the prop (in the correct direction) to see if the motor starts.

I had this happen on a new Night Vapor after about 10-15 flights (the cause was wall impact as I was new at this). Flew many more flights before being replaced after I bent the prop shaft and had to do that maintenance so replaced the motor at the same time. Kept the original motor as a spare, though for next time.
bob7376 is offline Find More Posts by bob7376
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:30 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
359 Posts
I have few batteries (mainly nano-tech) when connected everything looks fine, rudder, elevator working perfectly, only when throttle up, then nothing happen, some time the board got restarted. When checked the battery, voltage show 4.1V, keep recharge it few times, still the same, battery looks just like new, not bloated.
buratino is online now Find More Posts by buratino
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:14 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
check the motor...
put full throttle on and by hand give the prop a push...does it go a little now?
these are brushed motors and wear out really fast.
motors will slow down as they wear out to the point where they will not start on their own.
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:55 PM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
329 Posts
Batteries are a good bet.

There is another thought tho'

Not sure, but I believe the Vapor has the small brushed motor popular in many of the micro range.

If so, and it's had a lot of flights on it, it starts something similar.

Advance throttle, prop swings, then stops, and at the same time, controls lose function and centre. Flip prop, and it spins, and controls return to operation. Sometimes going "up/down" on the throttle also works.

AFAIK, it seems that it happens when the brushes start to get worn and dodgy.

Alastair
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL