HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:32 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,879 Posts
Discussion
The FAA are listening IsisCopter seeking exemption and need your comments

Its no secret most folks here from the USA want to fly commercially and are currently sitting hands tied whilst the FAA dithers.

Patrick has just spoken to Gus from IsisCopter at the Department of Transportation is a petition for exemption for various sections of 14 CFR parts; 21.191 and 91.319 to operate an sUAS commercially within VLOS. The discussion is in our podcast #36

This should be the right link.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2012-0897-0002

Its open for comment until Feb 4th 2013 so get your thoughts on there.

Please also share this information where you can. There is no voice on the second ARC for small business. The AMA no longer have a seat at the table.

You might also want to try a similar petition for your UA startup.

Now is a time to make considered comments and make sure the FAA can't continue down the line of allowing the military industrial complex to look after your interests.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:06 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
Greetings from IsisCopter...

Hi Gary, thanks for posting the news about my petition for exemption. Believe me, I was just as surprised as anyone when I learned about the public notice in the Federal Register!

I would also like to encourage members of our community to make a comment which will be read by the FAA and powers that be.

If anyone wants to file a petition for exemption, here is a link to the procedure from the FAA website:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...king/petition/

Gus
jetcruise is offline Find More Posts by jetcruise
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
I wonder if brushless55 and harryarnold have signed up yet.
AerialSkyCam is offline Find More Posts by AerialSkyCam
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialSkyCam View Post
I wonder if brushless55 and harryarnold have signed up yet.
Maybe if they post the comments, you'll know. can't wait to read your intellectual discourse on the matter. (they might not let you use the little animated gifs)

I support this effort for the exemption. Aerialskycam, I am not a full scale pilot. My efforts therefore are ongoing organizing with other RCers and public safety officials (including FAA) in my region. Glad to collaborate or help in any way i can.
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Last edited by harryarnold; Jan 26, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Quote:
I support this effort for the exemption. Aerialskycam, I am not a full scale pilot. My efforts therefore are ongoing organizing with other RCers and public safety officials (including FAA) in my region. Glad to collaborate or help in any way i can.
If your below quoted comments about this whole situation is how your going to help out, then I would implore you to familiarize yourself with AP in the US. Clearly, by your statements below, you are new in this arena. It is your job to research and find the answers that YOU are looking for. Noone here is going to hold your hand and do the work for YOU.

Quote:
No written permission. We were given cooperation in everything we asked for though. Quite a few officials stopped by to chat and look including Mayor Dave Bing (who shook my hand) who thanked us for our efforts.
With nothing in writing i realize i was taking full responsibility for having a safe effort and we did.

Not always. In real estate and construction AP, you are mostly flying over 'client property' and no 'bystanders'.

Also, I know an awful lot of 3D pilots who fly in non-regulated airspace all the time for practice etc. Their flying isn't only done at AMA controlled airspace...

It is NOT more dangerous for me to fly over a lake to shoot a home than someone to do 3D with a .90 helicopter over a crowd (even with signed waivers).

I guess my point is- if it is ok to be paid for 3D, then why not AP?
BOTH can be safe or dangerous depending on who does what.

But that is rhetorical because i havent seen that delineation in any other argument or federal regulation. 3D and AP are only subgroups to 'RC UAV'. And that is split into hobbyist & commercial only.

sooo... all that said, i feel that a person that calls themselves a professional RC pilot and is flying for compensation, IS a 'commercial RC' pilot. And when they fly under corporate banners for that compensation, it's 'commercial RC'
Quote:
Now i'm really confused. This article says I need a full scale pilots license before flying UAV AP ?
Now i havent read everything , but nowhere have i heard this.
In all the attachments in this wonderful thread, nothing mentions a pilot license being a prerequisite for UAV AP.
and this is certainly very interesting because no one I know is aware of this requirement either.
So I can speak clearly about this to others, can you please point me to the rule/law/suggestion/etc that says i need a full scale pilot license for UAV AP like the article claims.
OOPS NO.. not just a full scale license but a COMMERCIAL FULL SCALE LICENSE. I'll wait on the statute but, I dont believe this to be true until i see it.
Quote:
ok. where is the category for 3D in that FAQ?. this is outdated because sponsored pilots couldnt be just modelers.they do it for business. and they dont all have COAs either right?
there are modern rules posted somewhere right?
I just honestly had no idea someone needed a full-scale commercial pilot license to do UAV AP.
Is everyone flying sponsored 3D or Flying while selling AP gear, breaking FAA rules?
i just want to see rules that explain 3D and FPV and AP and sponsorships vs business, etc.
Quote:
-FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE-

The government has announced a "gimbal buyback program". Alarmed by the rapid proliferation of gimbals, they are acting now. "Aerial Pictures are everywhere. It's totally out of hand" a government source revealed.
Protests have sprung up in response. "They'll have to pry my gimbal from my cold double-sided tape" said one AP nut. Many maintain the right for their multicopter to keep and bear a gimbal shouldn't be given up.
"We're also concerned by the guys using the High Capacity SD cards. They're out here shooting 30 minutes of HD. Everyone knows you dont need a card that big to take a couple of chimney pictures" our source continued.
The Government wont actually be paying for the gimbals, they will issue a 'thank you' for compliance.
At one protest a sign read "Gimbals don't shoot pictures, RC modelers do." Some sheriffs have said off the record that they will not confiscate SD cards.
In closing our source said, "we know we can't prevent every aerial photo, but if we can stop one aerial photographer from making income, we've done our job. Good luck to all and be careful "
AerialSkyCam is offline Find More Posts by AerialSkyCam
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialSkyCam View Post
If your below quoted comments about this whole situation is how your going to help out, then I would implore you to familiarize yourself with AP in the US. Clearly, by your statements below, you are new in this arena. It is your job to research and find the answers that YOU are looking for. Noone here is going to hold your hand and do the work for YOU.
why are you filling up this gentlemans thread with this nonsense?
this thread is to help his application for an exemption.
It's not a place to express your opinions on fellow members posts in other forums.

I asked you to show me a statute. thats all. You WRONGLY stated that you need a "FULL SCALE COMMERCIAL PILOT LICENSE" to legally fly RCAP. People hear your opinion and mistakenly take it for a fact.

Follow protocol and lets keep focused on advocating for our flying rights.
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:59 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
Follow protocol and lets keep focused on advocating for our flying rights.[/QUOTE]

I agree! Now is the time to send our written comments to the FAA on commercial use of our small UAS. While some suggest waiting until the NPRM is published, I think it is more prudent to comment sooner rather than later. After the proposed rules are published, does anyone truly believe our comments will change them?

I have been contacted by several AP companies already and I am helping them file their petitions for exemption. Comment now, or forever hold your peace...
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:51 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,879 Posts
The NPRM could be years away, the test sites have to be selected first. Down the line if the FAA says well you never said you were interested at very least you could point to all these comments.

I say it again, your interests are currently being handled by DOD contractors on the ARC 2.0 which is happening behind closed doors and the AMA are not at the table.

Have a look here for who is on ARC 2.0 http://www.suasnews.com/2011/11/10245/uas-arc-2-0/ Posting that list made us fall off the FAA Christmas card list. (Amongst other things)
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Congressional mandate

If you do post a comment, you might include the fact that the 2012 FAA Reauthorization and Reform Act required the FAA to propose rules under which certain SUAS could operate safely right away, before the 2015 deadline for full commercial integration in the NAS. The mandate's deadline was August of 2012, which they missed.
leszekmp is offline Find More Posts by leszekmp
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:07 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
Excellent points about UAS test sites, ARC 2.0, and missed deadlines. The "handwriting is on the wall" concerning both NPRM and 2015.

My other concern is that privacy groups are highly organized and have lobbyists as well. I don't think we should underestimate their potential influence on upcoming sUAS rulemaking...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:22 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
464 Posts
Thank you all for keeping on this for the whole community
Jim
Jem3 is offline Find More Posts by Jem3
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:37 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,522 Posts
Quick question. It is still legal for hobbyist so If I take photos and sell them as "photos" is that against the law lol!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Quick question. It is still legal for hobbyist so If I take photos and sell them as "photos" is that against the law lol!
No contract and you should be just fine
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:50 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,522 Posts
What if I work for the company?
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:51 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
why are you filling up this gentlemans thread with this nonsense?
this thread is to help his application for an exemption.
It's not a place to express your opinions on fellow members posts in other forums.

I asked you to show me a statute. thats all. You WRONGLY stated that you need a "FULL SCALE COMMERCIAL PILOT LICENSE" to legally fly RCAP. People hear your opinion and mistakenly take it for a fact.

Follow protocol and lets keep focused on advocating for our flying rights.
Not sure why we have threads that are clogged with fear...
I agree Harry we need real answers and not
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55