HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:09 AM
New Paltz, Ny
Joined Dec 2003
2 Posts
Help!
Relative Newbie Unsure About Tiger Moth Upgrade...

Hi all! I've been flying (well, I suppose crashing is more like it) my TM stock for about a year now. I was unable to use the plane most of the time because my local hobby shop was pretty inexperienced at electric flight and they just couldn't get me the right battery charger. Happily, I recently (today as a matter of fact) ordered a JETI mini-peak charger which will charge just about any small NiCd or NiMh.

Anyway, I have recently considered upgrading to an 8.4 V 350 mAh battery which will add about 13g to the plane. I will, of course, add the heat sink, and probably the 10x4 prop as well. I need to know: Will the power increase compensate for the weight increase?

P.S- If possible, could anyone tell me the relative battery life with this setup?
Ground Struck is offline Find More Posts by Ground Struck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:32 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Welcome to the site!! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=tiger+moth
is the Mother of all TM threads and has 9 parts. The batteries should last years with proper usage, I have some 6 year old packs that I use in my planes.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:38 AM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
904 Posts
If the 8 cell pack is made of NiMh cells it will do fine, I ran my TM on an 8 cell 300 NiMh pack for a long time before I converted to LiPos. As for mods, the best thing you can do to hop-up your ship is to make it light. The TM is possibly the most tinkered with ship in recent history and the modifications are legion. I'd recommend you go to the "Search" screen (found at the top, right of the page) and query on the member names "Basketcase" and "Cold blood". BasketCase is the unofficial "father of the TigerMoth" and has found what is probably the "magic bullet" load out for the TM. Coldblood has a thread with what has to be the most beautiful TM ever. Welcome to Ezone and happy landings!

-LY
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:08 AM
New Paltz, Ny
Joined Dec 2003
2 Posts
Thank you for your feedback, those forums should be helpful, I was getting lost in all the TM-related posts I just didn't know where to look anymore!

Thanks again,
-Brian
Ground Struck is offline Find More Posts by Ground Struck