HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:07 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Inexpensive 1.5oz or less 7.2v NIMH packs?

Can anyone suggest a place to purchase packs like this?

I have only one that fits my intended application right now, attached is a pic. It's made up of 2/3 AAA cells, 300mah, and weighs a smidge under 1.25oz. It came from one of those eBay cheapie planes. The "6 pack" configuration isn't necessary, but low weight and 300mah or more is. So far, all I can find are 1.89oz and up, and need to find something in the ounce to ounce and a half range.

I'd consider used packs if the price was right.

I have no desire at this time to go to li-poly packs.

Thank you,

Bill in the Delta
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2003, 02:48 AM
CheapBatteryPacks.com
Beaverton, OR
Joined Dec 2002
1,212 Posts
we got high output GP400 2/3AAA on our site. www.cheapbatterypacks.com

Mike
frederm2002 is offline Find More Posts by frederm2002
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:13 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
At .27 ounces each, six of them, plus solder, leads, and shrinkwrap will exceed his 1.5 ounce limit.

Bill,

You're going to find out that the story's the same no matter who you ask. The cells available to battery vendors are all much heavier than the ones that came with your cheapie Ebay plane. In all likelihood, they're lighter because they're substandard cells. When the manufacturers of these cheapie planes go to put them together, they get the cheapest parts they can find, regardless of quality.

I can only see two options:
1. Buy additional packs from the same place you got the cheapie ebay plane.
2. Go with a 340mAh Kokam LiPoly pack.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:00 PM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
I have some 350 Ni-Mh packs (7 cells) that weigh RTF 1.93 Oz. Remove a cell (.26 Oz) =1.67. That's about as close as you're going to get.

http://www.parkflyermotors.com/secur...asp?itemid=215

WJ
www.ParkFlyerMotors.com
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old Dec 24, 2003, 03:55 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Thanks for your help guys...

My step daughter actually got the plane to fly pretty good twice and of course it's no longer with us. The guts have been a lot of fun to experiment with though. I've tried to locate spare parts(battery), but no luck. It's a Super Fly Wing. The batteries are actually about 6 months old and get a quick charge about 3 times a week, and a trickle charge squeezed in there every so often. I'm pretty impressed with them on the sub 280 motors.

Oh well, we can't have everything, lol... Maybe this will be that nudge I need to jump off the li-poly cliff.

By the way, the planes I need batteries for are a FSK Mustang and Messerschmidt. I've kinda got my eye on their Corsair too.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old Dec 24, 2003, 05:30 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
checked my sources and this is as close as I can come...
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...3AA&type=store

or roll your own
http://www.batteryspace.com/product....217&1=242&3=76

Also check out the Cordless Phone battery rack at Radio Shack, often there are discontinued packs like thoes at $.97 I have bought a bunch from time to time...

Carl
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Dec 24, 2003, 05:48 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
HAH!

Thanks Carl, I can't believe I didn't think about using the phone batts! The walmart here clearances them often. Great idea!

Happy Holidays,

Bill