SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Damaged Futaba 6EX TX

Hello all,
I've made a stupid thing reversing the battery polarity (by mistake) of my 6EX transmitter. Now the TX module seems dead, no leds and no TX, only the LCD is working and the controls. Anybody knows how could I repair it?
delwinnikolov is offline Find More Posts by delwinnikolov
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
repaired

Hi there, I'm glad to report that the radio is repaired. For anybody with this problem, dead(6EX) TX after reverse polarity, check the voltage regulator on the TX board, it is a SMD 7805, replacing it solved the problem.
delwinnikolov is offline Find More Posts by delwinnikolov
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:11 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,057 Posts
The older Futaba radios had a diode to prevent that from happening. I don’t know why they have left out that on the newer radios.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:06 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,314 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the diode in the entry level Futaba's was in the charge jack circuit to prevent reverse charging the Tx battery. More expensive Futaba's use a PolySwitch circuit breaker instead of the diode. I'm pretty sure that if you connect the battery to the radio with reverse polarity, there's no protection against that
Futaba's use of a standard servo plug for the Tx battery does make that very hard to do. You really have to wire the connector backwards to let out the magic smoke

delwinnikolov,
Nice to hear you have it fixed
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delwinnikolov View Post
Hi there, I'm glad to report that the radio is repaired. For anybody with this problem, dead(6EX) TX after reverse polarity, check the voltage regulator on the TX board, it is a SMD 7805, replacing it solved the problem.
Thank you, any similarity to the photos and information shown:
Futaba - T6A - Reverse Polarity DIY repair.
"the element that had burned was a power regulator, the equivalent one LM78L05 "

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.