SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2003, 09:17 PM
obiewan
Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
230 Posts
Flying Over Water!

I live on a small lake and fly SS with floats in the summer and skis in the winter. Aiptec says not to get moisture anywhere near their Pencam. Anyone have any suggestions for watrproofing the Pencam? If I use a servo or the CanMan mod there will be wires to the camera with potential leaks.
jrsnow is offline Find More Posts by jrsnow
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:50 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
just don't crash
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:57 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
um... I would probably use some kind of silicone compound, like what you would use to caulk the shower with; just use only as much as you need and you should be fine. That having been said, the moisture thing is a fairly standard disclaimer that is applied to all electronics (I think) so as long as you don't dunk the camera (like Dax said) it should be able to withstand a few splashes here and there, especially seeing as how you're going to be flying over freshwater.

But yeah, go with the silicone on all the places water could seep through; that's your best bet I believe.

-Mike
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 03:54 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
I whould build a waterproof box around the camera. And a glas plate in front of the lens.

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:28 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,388 Posts
I'd go with Fredrik's idea.... maybe using a thin plexiglas rather than glass for weight savings.

Merry Christmas y'all!

CTF
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:48 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
1,284 Posts
JR:

I flew the Mustek on my Soarstar on floats. I used the palm of a surgical glove to cover the camera - tied off both glove ends with zip plastic ties - small hole in glove palm for lens as per:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~ironsidz/page3.html

Don't know if it works as it didn't go swimming ;-)

David
Ironsides is offline Find More Posts by Ironsides
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:05 AM
What The...
Greensburg IN
Joined Sep 2003
87 Posts
My aiptek got pretty damp on my last AP sortie.
It got repeatedly dunked in the snow and warmed up in the shop.
It doesn't seem overly sensitive to moisture.
Bernard
Bernip is offline Find More Posts by Bernip
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:59 PM
obiewan
Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
230 Posts
Thanks all you guys - except Dax - "Don't crash!" Yeah, right. I crash the SS all the time and just shake the water off and fly again. Not quite a newbie, just an old fart whose reflexes aren't what they used to be. Having fun though, thanks to Ezoners.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 09:43 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
There's always a chance residual moisture will migrate and condense in an area that affects picture quality or encourages corrosion of the electronics, so the less moisture the better.

I used a modified method of David/Ironsides when flying my Slowstick off floats: I cut a hole in the end of a large food storage bag, then slipped the whole thing over the fuse of the slowstick with prop, landing gear, and wing removed. I poked a small hole in the bag near the camera lens, then stretched it over the lens barrel. I sealed the bag around the fuse, motor leads, and loosely over the pushrods aft of the wing. I then pressed on the landing gear and mounted the wing through/over the plastic. Medium rubber bands in a few places snugged the bag tight enough to avoid serious aerodynamic drag.

This isn't a handy or clever way of waterproofing, though it was relatively quick and effective. It survived several flights over two days, including one nose-over. Good news, a Slowstick completely inverted will float on the wingtips and rudder, though the motor will usually submerge somewhere along the process, depending on the gymnastics that led to that condition.

See http://www.rcsites.net/karl/aircraft/slowstick2.html near the bottom of the page for a picture of my float setup. Note that the short floats w/tailfloat are not ideal, rather the result of a spontaneous decision to fabricate floats while camping at the family cabin last summer. There wasn't enough foam for proper float length. The tailfloat was too small, and up elevator would submerge the tail until the stab hit the water. Negative maneuvering speed into a brisk wind would dig the elevator into the water.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Last edited by Kinnicē; Dec 25, 2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:36 PM
obiewan
Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
230 Posts
Karl, My Netscape says it can't find rcsites.net Any suggestions?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 04:14 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Same problem: "Server not found". Browser is IE 6. (But that should not matter with this type of problems.)

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Dec 26, 2003, 04:47 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Rcsites.net has always been a bit up 'n down. Worth what I pay for it, which is nothing. I was able to view it yesterday and today (cleared my cache to verify I wasn't looking at a stored version.)

All I can suggest is to try again. Here's the picture I was referring to.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē