HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:52 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Update: Went East on Akers Mill to Cumberland Blvd and scanned with binoculars along both sides of I-75 and the back of Cobb Energy Center. Took another thorough look through Akers Mill shopping center and spoke to the security guard. Unless I'm missing it somewhere closer, my next place to focus is a set of buildings slightly north on Galleria Parkway, like the 200, 300, and 400 buildings. The 400 building has high trees, an enclosed field, and drainage ditch - this is across the street from Cobb Energy Center (search 400 Galleria Drive, Atlanta 30339) I looked in the drainage ditch this morning and looked off the north parking deck but did not get a chance to look in the tree line around the green space or the landscaping and courtyard between 400 and the adjacent buildings. At least the list of possible areas is getting smaller.

I also posted a reward listing on Craigslist (search Naza) and spoke to Dave at Hobby Town and Cliff at Atlanta Hobby. I figure pawn shops won't know what the hell it is.

If anyone has thoughts, questions, or suggestions feel free to post them.

Regards,
Justin
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Bundling up and taking binoculars to look around the trees near Cobb Energy Center and back around my office. The more I think about how I never saw it even after putting it in to fill climb with clear skies makes me suspect that it may have tanked into the trees or landscaping near my office or someplace relatively close by. I probably have a week or two before I need to reimburse my friend for the Paralinx Arrow transmitter, battery, and GoPro, so hopefully I'll find it or maybe it will turned in. If not, I'll be liquidating my RC collection soon to pay for the video gear.

Say a prayer, wish me luck, or send positive thoughts that the wind knocked it out of a tree or that a Good Samaritan turns it in.

Justin
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
It's sunny, 52F, and I'm hunting by my office until 4:30 if anyone is interested in helping me look. I'll gladly offer $300 if you find it. Call me at (404) 384-1779 if you're up for it.

Thanks,
Justin
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Hitting the streets

Hitting the streets to plaster these all over the area...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:17 PM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,922 Posts
Dang man. Hope you find your rig. I might be able to come help on the ground tomorrow afternoon. Keep your 300 and buy a cold beer if we find it. I have no working fpv rig right now or I would offer a search with my tricopter. (Needs DL system)
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:01 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Justin,

I posted in your other thread.. but FYI I called about 5 people I know that are in and about the area and asked em to keep an eye out. It's a rough area between all the roofs and scattered tree areas all over. Darn thing could be in an apt complex farther down Akers Mill as well, or on one of the apt bld roofs.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:08 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
really wish my rig was up and running i would be out there tomorrow searching for you, still got my fingers crossed you find it.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,789 Posts
i may be able to help,but not until next weekend.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
really wish my rig was up and running i would be out there tomorrow searching for you, still got my fingers crossed you find it.
I think locating a quad would be very difficult from the air anyway due to its small size.

Its too bad that you throttled up instead of down Justin. Did we ever get a coordinate of where you last saw it? I may be able to help tomorrow.

I agree that is most likely very close to where you last saw it.

Greg
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Last edited by GoldCraft; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Greg, I posted the last coordinate in my 2nd or 3rd post earlier in this thread. It's the parking deck at 700 Galleria Parkway SE, Atlanta 30339. It comes right up on Google Maps. The YouTube video in the same post is the same flight that I lost it, no more than a minute after the video ends. If you watch my takeoff you'll notice the wind pushing me up the hill. I remember getting all green lights for GPS mode but think I lost them pretty quick because it definitely felt like I was in Attitude mode the while time.

I appreciate the support and have been working diligently several hours a day since Thursday to locate it. I took reward posters to most every store in Akers Mill shopping center and posted them in the local bus stop shelters and crosswalks. I also gave them to all the security guards for the surrounding buildings and got the building manager to take me to look on our roof, and spent a good twenty minutes looking in a 360 degree 1/8th of a mile radius. I've called most of the local businesses and have been through all of the obvious and accessible places at least once, maybe twice. I've posted a lost ad on Craigslist and have created search agents on CL and eBay to alert me when any ad pops up for dji/naza/parallax/hero 2/multirotor/quadcopter. Also talked to Cliff at Atlanta Hobby and Dave at Hobbytown in case someone walks in with one.

All of this is to say that I'm putting in the legwork to look everywhere I can and make the locals aware of it as well. Today I had the thought that I've been focusing on a 360 degree radius and may be better off using some detective work to help narrow the direction.

What I could use is some outside perspective. For someone to stand where I was and see the field of view I had, then imagine where the quad had to be for me to climb and not see it rise up from the parking deck or the 700 building. And maybe help me make an educated guess as to which direction and how far it may have drifted before I flipped the switch for RTH, and what may have obstructed its return.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:27 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
I feel so bad for you and hate reading all this. As said above, I think the minimal size of a quad is going to make this a needle in a haystack.... but sounds like you covered all your bases and likely someone will recognize it from your posters.

I have been in your shoes before; I stuck about $500 worth of airplane about 200 feet up a tree- I spend countless hours trying to recover it... Do not forget, your time is valuable too
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Thanks guys. It does seem to be like searching for a needle in a haystack, but it also feels like looking for the lost sheep, although in that story the Shepard hadn't strapped several hundred dollars worth of video gear to the sheep and sent it off on a hang glider.

It's 3:00 and I'm going out for a couple of hours of looking in the bushes if anyone feels like a treasure quest. Thanks again for the well wishes and kind words.

Regards,
Justin
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:36 PM
One with the machine
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2010
396 Posts
It's more like a rock than a handglider...
SuperFPVflyer is offline Find More Posts by SuperFPVflyer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:13 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Oh man i hate reading this, im sure your so sick loosing it. I still have a.Champ in the.woods sonewhere at the pcma old field. Well sure its not even a plane now being.foam.

Dad lost his big stick it was 3-4 days before found it in top a tree another few days before wind blow it down.

I really hope you find it maybe.they.will take it to hobbytown if someone finds it
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:04 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I can overfly the rooftops tomorrow if you need. Just let me know which ones need a few passes.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62