HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:41 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
E*Star 3D Cap, Extra, and Sukhoi Build Thread

Ok per some requests I'm starting a new thread to document my build of the E*Star 3D Cap, a couple of others will be updating this thread with their builds of the version that they bought.

Here are the static shots of what the kit designer posted on the orginal thread:
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:43 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
The Box

The box that they are shipped in is kind of cool, it shows the plane on the outside and is pretty small. Mine looked a bit beat up, but to my surprise the contents were all in perfect condition!!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:48 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Now we get down to business...

I started with step one building the stab, elevator, vert stab and rudder, so far I've only gotten one of the 4 done as I wanted to take some pictures and document and I needed to do some sanding.

One thing that I don't like are cut tabs where I have a glue joint, while building the horizontal stab I came across 4 of them on both S1, S2 and S7(2). I took my time sanding them off so that I would have a good glue surface and not end up with it coming apart on me the first time I slammed the brakes on.

Pictures are all about 200k and hosted on my personal hosting servers so that end is fast, but with higher resolutions I can take better pictures. I will still try to trim them down so as to keep as much detail as I can. While I don't think this build will take long, it won't be a slam it out job and I will not be working on it again until probably Sat or Sun as we are going out of town in the morning.

Here is picture one with some arrows showing where I had to sand the cut tabs to get a good clean fit:
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:52 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Wow..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:52 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Lets compare

Ok, this next one is just to give an idea of size as I know several of you that are building or wanting to build this plane have the Todd's Models Attitude, I put the completed stab up next to the stab/elevator assembly on the 'tude. As you can see, this thing is not a small plane. By the way, the wood in the stab is 1/8" med grade balsa. The stab is 11 3/4" from side to side, and the elevator is 14 3/4" from side to side. I did not measure the LE to TE yet. I will do that in the morning. Here's the picture:
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:53 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tram
Wow..
Doh, you found me...
Old Dec 23, 2003, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Elevator and Stab

Ok, the elevator is done. Took about 20 minutes to build it. That includes searching through three different sheets to find all the marked parts. He does a neat thing to connect / stiffen the joing between halves, he uses some 1/64" lite ply as a joiner across, you can see that I don't have mine glued on yet. I'm thinking about using come CF tape instead. It would be stronger still and just as light if not lighter. I threw both the light ply pieces on the scales and they did not equal one gram, my scales are not super accurate though so it could have been, but either way, they are really light so I guess when combined top and bottom it will make that area pretty strong.

Here is the picture laid out on a matt so that you can see the sizes of the componets:
Old Dec 24, 2003, 06:16 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
More tail pictures...

Ok, I got up and took a little jog this morning, got the head clear, got the mind in gear and then got back to work. I went ahead with his light ply pieces for two reasons:

1. The carbon while stronger would leave some ugly white resedue when glued.

2. The light ply seemed to weigh nothing and when glued on both sides is incredably strong, but more importantly to me, can be sanded to a slight rounding when I hing the control surface.

Sorry about the quality of this picture:
Old Dec 24, 2003, 06:20 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Vertical Tail parts

This picture is just to give an idea of the laste work. This seems to be typical of the wood and cut in this kit. I cut the cut tabs loose and lifted the main sheet up and the parts that I just cut loose just fall out. I like that.

The parts are spread around in several sheets for each of these, but it allows for the use of less over all sheets of balsa and this is good for shipping and packaging I guess. Does slow down the build ever so slightly while you go looking for parts. Something that I personally like which helps here is a small picture of what the sheet layout looks like and where those parts are on that sheet. Hope that made sense..
Old Dec 24, 2003, 06:22 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Ok in this next picture I've got some what of a question. There is ever so slight of a notch right there where my pencel is pointing. However if you put the V10 into it, nothing will build true, but you also cant sand it flush, so as to remove the notch or it will throw off the squareness of the parts:

The other thing that would be very helpful and remove most if not all the need for pinning it to the building board would be to put some notch's or key's where I put circles in this picture. The arrow points to where that ever so slight notch is. It's visible again in a later picture.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 06:27 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Tail all done...

Ok the vert stab and rudder are all done. I did not do a compairson picture on this one, but this rudder is every bit as large or even slightly larger than the one on my Attitude, which I made larger while building it. That should give you some idea of just how big this rudder is. I may shoot a picture of the two side by side later. I should mention that the parts fit is very good aside from there being no notching or keying. All my parts seemed to fall right to where they should go. I started at the top and worked my way down, just butting the seems up and hitting it with some thin CA, when I got to the bottom everything was still lined up. I was NOT pinning anything, just doing it free hand. Which bit me slightly on the Vert Stab, I glued the top piece to the top of the LE piece instead of to TE of that LE piece and it threw it off. You can see some missing wood where I broke it apart and corrected my mistake. A key or notch would have probably kept me from making that mistake, or if I would have been pinning to the building board like he shows in his instructions.

Again in this completed picture you can see where I noted that slight notch. I used some thick CA in just that one spot to shore it up, thin CA at the joints everywhere else.
Last edited by Bill K.; Dec 24, 2003 at 06:32 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 06:37 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
So what do we weigh so far...?

Completed tail parts on scales. Not bad... These things are huge... I still have some light sanding to do so that might drop by maybe a gram, but that's probably a safe bet that it will be right around this number.

What gets me is that this thing should come in 7-10 oz lighter than the Attitude but it only has 28 sqr in less wing area than the Attitude... It should float... Don't worry I will be able to give a good honest comparison seeing as I've built two of the Attitudes and flown them on both Mega setups, this should be fun...

Ok no more updates or pictures until at least Saturday, I'm going out of town here in a few minutes and won't be back for a while. Then we start the wing. Page one of the instructions is all done.

Have a Merry Christmas everybody!!

Bill K.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:12 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,925 Posts
for those that plan to use brushless motors in these planes, here are the strengthening recomendations from Jonghun Lee(designer/kitter)

Quote:
3D CAP, Extra, Sukhoi are designed basically for 300 brushed motor. You may use small brushless motor, then it
is required few reinforcement at tail surface, Tail parts consist with 7x3mm, 3x3mm balsa, You'd better to change
to 7x3mm, 6x3mm or to 7x4mm, 4x4mm. Jonghun Lee
nice pics so far bill , and for another comparison these planes should end up around 3 1/2 Oz lighter than my miss june
and they have around 33inē more wing area , they will definately float

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Dec 24, 2003, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Happy|Harry
they will definately float
[/B]
That's an understatment. Well I'm at the In-Law's now so no building for a while. Tis ok though, should a fun next few days. I'm hoping that my 9C is under the tree...
Old Dec 24, 2003, 07:30 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Wow this is bigger than I thought.

I cant wait to order

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123