HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:21 PM
United Arab Emirates, Ajmān, Ajman
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
By the way I have some questions:

- When there is a wind and I would like to go in a circle .. is it better to turn with the wind or against it?
- How would I know that I have reached a suitable altitude after launch?
- How to do a level flight? ! In the simulator I usually give the plane a full throttle and nearly go to zero throttle then glide and everything was OK .. this strategy failed today completely !
andalosy is offline Find More Posts by andalosy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:23 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,077 Posts
Try to pick a day with very little wind. Face directly into the wind and always fly upwind of your position. Launch the plane horizontally with about 3/4 throttle and let it ascend gradually. Be ready to use a little up elevator to correct for minor sinking as it attains flight speed. Use small control inputs to avoid over controlling.

Your first flights can be just straight ahead for a short distance, no higher than head height or so, then cut the throttle and let it glide to a landing using small elevator inputs to keep it level until it touches down. This will let you get a feel for the controls and the plane's reaction to random turbulence.

After doing this a few times, try a gradual turn back to your position. Let it ascend to 75-100 ft before gently turning downwind. As it turns downwind, it will look like it's suddenly flying faster as its ground speed increases. Keep it flying level and continue the turn back into the wind. It's ground speed will now drop significantly. With enough of a breeze, it's possible to hold a light plane stationary in the sky with careful use of the throttle and elevator.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
Try to pick a day with very little wind. Face directly into the wind and always fly upwind of your position. Launch the plane horizontally with about 3/4 throttle and let it ascend gradually. Be ready to use a little up elevator to correct for minor sinking as it attains flight speed. Use small control inputs to avoid over controlling.

Your first flights can be just straight ahead for a short distance, no higher than head height or so, then cut the throttle and let it glide to a landing using small elevator inputs to keep it level until it touches down. This will let you get a feel for the controls and the plane's reaction to random turbulence.

After doing this a few times, try a gradual turn back to your position. Let it ascend to 75-100 ft before gently turning downwind. As it turns downwind, it will look like it's suddenly flying faster as its ground speed increases. Keep it flying level and continue the turn back into the wind. It's ground speed will now drop significantly. With enough of a breeze, it's possible to hold a light plane stationary in the sky with careful use of the throttle and elevator.
Thank you WhiteCrest for the advice .. I will try to do that next time
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Just passed my 30 seconds barrier :)

Latest update:

Here is my latest trial in a windy day and the classic crash at the end (as usual )

So much fun even with nearly all time crashes and tree climbing

Blu-Baby 42" KFM3 in the hand of novice pilot! (0 min 54 sec)