SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:26 AM
United Arab Emirates, Ajmān, Ajman
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Well! That looks like one of a million great combinations. One good thing about having reserve speed (82 km/hr is only 50 mph) is that you have a throttle and using it will extend your flight times.

One thing all of us learn is that too much is just right. You can never have too much power as long as that doesn't give you too much weight. This system is light enough for your plane and plenty powerful. Proceed without too much fear! Don't panic! Proceed with caution: FULL SPEED AHEAD! There I go with the all caps. C4H10 is gonna whack me again.
Sure I will tell my "Crash" story in the near future

I will go ahead and get this motor. After that I shall proceed to the next stage "Center of Gravity" and balancing .. thanks Robbins for all your appreciated advice
andalosy is offline Find More Posts by andalosy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Back Again

Now I'm trying to balance the plane using my fingertips. The plane seems tail heavy, I tried to move the battery (70 gms) forward as much as I can but his doesn't help much. The plane needs about 25 gms near the motor. I'm thinking of adding 25 dummy gms to the front of the plane. Is this a good solution or what shall I do?
Last edited by andalosy; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:43 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,412 Posts
Sounds to me like your plane is in your wallet again for a bigger battery. Yes, she's asking for a 1350mAh!

Longer flight duration can't be a terrible thing.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Sounds to me like your plane is in your wallet again for a bigger battery. Yes, she's asking for a 1350mAh!

Longer flight duration can't be a terrible thing.
No problem, but will this balance the plane too? I tried to add 25 gms beside the battery but it didn't balance!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
mmmm I tested 2700 mAh 220 gms and it balanced at once!

AUW 715 gms ... mmm will the motor be able to manage this weight? 8x4 APC prop ? back to the DriveCalc and eCalc to see
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Ok, At last nearly finished everything
eflite 3S 1350mAh + 9x4 Prop + Great Planes CG

I will back if I had more questions >> Thanks Robbins
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:38 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,412 Posts
Looks really nice! I'd love to see some video of the plane in flight.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Not yet Robbins, I have more annoying questions

I did a power test and woooow ! what a terrifying experience !!! I was so nervous and afraid from the sounds

However I was courage enough to go full throttle with the 7x4 APC, 8x4 GWS HD, and couldn't with the 9x4 !!!

here are the readings of the Watt Meter:

7x4 Apc SF = 7.82 amp
makes very very nice sound

8x4 GWS HD = 11.5 amp
it is getting loud with half throttle, high and annoying after that. I felt like it is about to torn apart !!!

9x4 PJG Nylon Fibre = 11 amp (85-90% throttle!!)
sounds very strong but beyond the motor capability and the interesting part is that I discovered it is a glow prop!

Currently the AUW is 610 grams (21.52 oz) .. I think I should go with the 7x4 prop.

Any Advice?
Last edited by andalosy; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:09 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
I agree, the 7x4 looks like the right prop on 3S. Your measured 7.82 amps is well within the recommended 9 amps continuous current rating for this motor. It should also provide plenty of pitch speed for this plane. The 8x4 and larger props would probably work better on 2S. Flight testing will tell you which combinations work best.

From your photo, the plane appears to be well balanced, and the larger battery should provide plenty of flight of time. Given your plane's AUW of 21 oz, if wing area (wing chord x wingspan) is around 250 sq.in., wing loading would be about 12 oz sq.ft. which is not too bad.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
I agree, the 7x4 looks like the right prop on 3S. Your measured 7.82 amps is well within the recommended 9 amps continuous current rating for this motor. It should also provide plenty of pitch speed for this plane. The 8x4 and larger props would probably work better on 2S. Flight testing will tell you which combinations work best.

From your photo, the plane appears to be well balanced, and the larger battery should provide plenty of flight of time. Given your plane's AUW of 21 oz, if wing area (wing chord x wingspan) is around 250 sq.in., wing loading would be about 12 oz sq.ft. which is not too bad.
I also noticed the motor temperature is getting high quickly when I used the 8x4 GWS and the 9x4 glow prop. However I will give it a flying test and hope to return it in one piece

I guess your calculation for the wing loading is based on the wing area for the 33" version, I built the 42" version. Using cg_calc and WebOCalc to measure the wing area and the wing loading, the results were 378.9 sq.in and 8.15 oz/square foot. I guess this is a light wing loading and seems good for a beginner - plane destroyer - like me

Many thanks for the information and support.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:35 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
Yes, that is a light wing loading. It should float well and fly slowly, which is what you want. Good luck with your first flights.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Yes, hope your maiden went well !
Any pics or video of your maiden? Have you been able to fly it yet?

I finally got my Blubaby 42" off to a successful flight today after it spent 4 days about 40 feet up in a pine tree. I should have known better than to try in the windy conditions that I tried to maiden it in. It took quite a beating both getting into and out of the tree, and had several hours of rain and even temps at night in the teens. But it survived (other than the battery) and all stock components are still on the plane. It was a good feeling to see her float around the sky this afternoon after all of that. A tough little plane, it takes a beating better than any other foam plane I have built so far.

Motor: Turnigy D3530/14 1100KV
ESC: 40 Amp Eflite
Battery: Turnigy 3S 2200mah
Prop: 3 blade 9x5 (had one and wanted to try it, was running 10x6 2 blade)
Weight: al little on the heavy side @ 32 ounces but with an 11" chord, wing load is around 10.8

I did put some dihedral in my 40" Armin style wing with Ailerons, not much, around 3-4 degrees. It made it very stable for a beginner such as myself.
I could kill the throttle and glide all the way in for a landing, so with less weight I imagine it would be a real floater.
Working on a 60" version now.
plexcom is offline Find More Posts by plexcom
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Just returned from my 1st maiden and >>>>>> 1st crash

To be honest this plane is amazing, so easy to fly and control but it is me .. the only reason for the crash. To fly a real plane is totally different experience than simulators!!

BUT >>> I enjoyed a lot a lot a lot today with my 20 seconds !

I attached the 20 seconds golden globe video for the flight today .. of course the story is so short on it

Sratchbuild Blu-Baby 42 Crash (0 min 20 sec)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
Yes, that is a light wing loading. It should float well and fly slowly, which is what you want. Good luck with your first flights.
Thanks whitecrest ... here we go with the first crash

By the way I tested 8x4E APC (9.5 Amp on watt meter) and used today. It was very good and the plane nearly left my hand by itself.
Last edited by andalosy; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexcom View Post
Yes, hope your maiden went well !
Any pics or video of your maiden? Have you been able to fly it yet?

I finally got my Blubaby 42" off to a successful flight today after it spent 4 days about 40 feet up in a pine tree. I should have known better than to try in the windy conditions that I tried to maiden it in. It took quite a beating both getting into and out of the tree, and had several hours of rain and even temps at night in the teens. But it survived (other than the battery) and all stock components are still on the plane. It was a good feeling to see her float around the sky this afternoon after all of that. A tough little plane, it takes a beating better than any other foam plane I have built so far.

Motor: Turnigy D3530/14 1100KV
ESC: 40 Amp Eflite
Battery: Turnigy 3S 2200mah
Prop: 3 blade 9x5 (had one and wanted to try it, was running 10x6 2 blade)
Weight: al little on the heavy side @ 32 ounces but with an 11" chord, wing load is around 10.8

I did put some dihedral in my 40" Armin style wing with Ailerons, not much, around 3-4 degrees. It made it very stable for a beginner such as myself.
I could kill the throttle and glide all the way in for a landing, so with less weight I imagine it would be a real floater.
Working on a 60" version now.
Well, This is a different approach for the gears I think. 32 ounces seems a little bit heavy than the AUW I have heard about the blu-baby. However It is good to hear that you were successfully fly your Blu-Baby .. Now I know how it feels to build and see your plane in the sky .. This is really a great feeling

Wish you all the best in your next scratchbuilt .. I think I will spend sometime with the 42" till I learn how to do a normal level flight