SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:33 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
If you wind your coils by hand, try to keep each layer of wire smooth and flat. Don't get in a hurry and end up with "scramble wound" coils - they'll turn out larger than smooth, easy layers.

One suggestion would be to put the section of drinking straw onto a wooden dowel with a hand crank attached to one end. Fashion a stand of some sort to support the dowel. Turn the crank with one hand as you feed the wire with the other.

Just give it a go and practice on a couple of "test" coils, not using any glue. Then you can rewind onto a nicely finished coil after you've had some practice.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.

You wind the 17m length of wire onto a spool. Each end of the wire connects to the receiver.
Hiya, I was asking is it one strand with just two ends for the reciver or 2 strands of wire with four ends two end in the coil and two ends for the reciver
rogenstein1983 is offline Find More Posts by rogenstein1983
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aero FlyBaby bipe
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:10 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
It should be one continuous winding with 2 ends. All windings must be wound in the same direction (eg: clockwise).

I use thin cyno for bonding. I put a small piece of furry velcro on a balsa stick and saturate it with cyno. I then wipe the wire through that to wet the wire before winding it over the straw.
dt.
David T is offline Find More Posts by David T
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T View Post
It should be one continuous winding with 2 ends. All windings must be wound in the same direction (eg: clockwise).

I use thin cyno for bonding. I put a small piece of furry velcro on a balsa stick and saturate it with cyno. I then wipe the wire through that to wet the wire before winding it over the straw.
dt.
Thanks for that very helpful answer David thats exactly what I thought, I've managed to modify a black and decker screwdriver so I'll try that for winding to although maybe to fast, will have to try it a later today when I finish
Just gotta make some spacers for the coil ,would love to use some home made coils for my next few lrf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:01 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
I power my winder with a variable power supply. It has a knob for voltage control. I actually put that on the floor and rotate the voltage knob with a toe leave both hands free for winding and the ability to speed up or slow down depending on how well its going. I have a sensor on the shaft and a counter to keep track of turns.
dt.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:38 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
916 Posts
for bonding
I use gratplanes aliphatic glue on my finger that leads the lead onto the coil. this sets pretty good and if i get it on light enough i can actually unwind it if i need to resolder an end.
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:19 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
By the way I have some very small solder pads for terminating/connecting stronger wires. Let me know if interested. Photo shows flex PCB. I have 0.2mm rigid as well.
dt.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T View Post
By the way I have some very small solder pads for terminating/connecting stronger wires. Let me know if interested. Photo shows flex PCB. I have 0.2mm rigid as well.
dt.
Ohh that looks like it could come in handy, I'll be getting another rx52m of you soon so will see if I have got good enough with coils for that, had long shifts last few days and time has been a rarity, hopefully get time to crack on with this in next day or two ,the possibility of not haveing to fork out for coils anymore is so close haha
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:02 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
a little late, but i have tried nail polish as a wire bonding and while it worked okay, i think an actual glue is much stronger than it was. keeping the winds together when removing from a model can be difficult if they are not held tightly by the glue.

the 2 wall timers i have torn apart were around $4 each and have a good amount of 44 gauge wire in them. i have made numerous coils and have yet to run out from the first 2 i bought
speaking of which, i have to wind up some more coils tonight for my current project, look in the micro boats section for that one
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
268 Posts
So I finally got round to winding some coils actually very easy I used a spare thin point solder tip dipped in wax so the coils wouldent stick and some bits from the tool box to make my spacers ended up with something very simular to Plantracos 200 mg coil, so I'll be able to finish my deltang lrf biplane later this week oh and used thin ca to bond coils
RCG Plus Member