HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Follow up to PM

Hi Tim,
Here are the pics I took regarding the pieces 4 & 4A. Sorry the PM was so long winded and after I posted it I realized that you'd most likely come to the same conclusions from your drawings & instructions.

Cheers, Barry
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:53 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
No Removable Cabin

Hi Tim,
You asked whether I thought the Cabin was designed to be removable and I said I thought maybe it was. I was wrong!! It is not designed to be removable. Unless a substantial design modification was to be made, it is not possible either, in my opinion.

The Dumas Construction Instructions specifically state in STEP VII on Page 2 top paragraph "Cement cabin sides 20 to insides edges of deck Q & P". This would render it impossible to remove the cabin. Further more there is a pronounced curve to the inside edges of deck Q & P. We could of course not glue them, but that would mean, since there is no sideways support across the cabin aft of the parts 4 & 4-A, the bottom of the cabin sides would be very warped. The only thing I could think of would be to cement the cabin floor to the cabin sides, of course cutting it short otherwise it surely would look very strange and be difficult to handle. This is what I think I'm going to do with my version (cutting the floor short - right aft of the Engine Covers D-45, I think that will work. Although hiding the batteries is definitely going to be a challenge.

The Instructions also say, at STEP X: ENGINE INSTALLATION - "For engine installation, flooring must be made removable."

Hope this helps,
Cheers Barry
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:26 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Thx

Thanks Barry, that surely clears That up !

Still hoping Green - Boat will chime in when he gets his model dug out ( seems it's effectivley in storage at this time ).
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:22 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Hi Tim,
I spent the day making templates of all the pieces in my kit and figuring out what I was missing and trying to reproduce those parts.

Missing: I've now come to the conclusion I am not missing any parts. Most of the pieces that I thought I was missing are to be made from the balsa sheets (there are tons of them). There is one piece Dumas stamped with a "5" that is nothing like the Cabin Roof Beam 5, but strangely is exactly the same size and shape as the part "S". So that's what I've labelled it. There are no Chines or Sheers in the kit, but there are many 1/8"x1/8"x36" balsa strips so that's what we're going to use for them. Parts "AA", "BB" & "CC" are all made from balsa sheets.

Reproduced: I've drawn "templates" for the lower cabin front windows 25 & 26 and the flying bridge front windows 23 & 24 using the plan & profile drawings. The sizes and shapes are very approximate. I used the window opening from the Dumas 36' Commander for this model since they are practically identical.

As soon as I get the chance I will get the template sheet scanned and converted into a PDF so everyone can have it. As for the fittings, I'm still working on those and they will take a lot more time. Generally, I think that the Dumas fittings for their 36' CC Commander will do very nicely for most of what's needed for this model. This kit came with some very soft aluminum wire that was supposed to be used for the railings and flybridge supports, but I'm not going to use the stuff, it can't be made straight again (at least not easily). I'll go to the LHS and get some Al rod, make a jig and bend it to shape.

Cheers, Barry
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:56 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Slow progress ...

Its been almost a month since I posted ~

The planking is very nearly done, now for carefull shaping of the bow, fill a few gaps then sealing.

I have no pics of the real boat out of the water so I will work away till the bow looks to be correct, of course we want that pronounced "bull nose" shape.

Working Very long hours now so Sundays are about all I have to get anything done on this project, slowly collecting things that will be needed ( like an accurate set of fittings ).

In a few days I should have a Very accurate ship's wheel, a really good one is hard to come by.
Last edited by Tim B.; Mar 17, 2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: add pics
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Looking very nice Tim. She is gonna be a great looking boat. In your hands the bull nose will be fine.
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:08 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Tim,
Looking good! Wow, those are some complex shapes....
Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:10 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
303 Posts
Tim great looking boat. Wood work is first class. Don't sweat the bullnose it will turn out fine. You will do it. I have been following this thread with great interest. Keep up the good work.

Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:33 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
VERY clean buid -- and moving along very nicely!

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:47 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Thanks all ...

Indeed, quite a collection of compond curves, all final shaping will have to be done in direct sunlight so true contour shadows can be seen.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2006
895 Posts
looking great Tim your a real inspiration to us new guys.
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,746 Posts
Nice job on the hull Tim .
Band1 is offline Find More Posts by Band1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 32 Ford rat Rod
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:23 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Ditto!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:18 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,282 Posts
Not only do you do great work, but somehow your shop never looks messy.

I hate you ! ! !

Ok, that's a little strong - but I am impressed!
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:40 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,124 Posts
Really looking good Tim!
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer