SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:02 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I added the Turtle deck and I also started covering a few of the tail pieces. The Turtle deck is 0.6mm ply wood formed over two balsa fuse formers and stuck down with super glue.

I first had to do a final sanding with 220 sand paper before applying the covering film. This is my very first attempt at covering and I have to say I am happy with the outcome. I decided on a Yellow, Black and White color scheme.

Total hours 27.75
Riaandt is offline Find More Posts by Riaandt
Last edited by Riaandt; Mar 05, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:06 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Hello I will try to post pictures'm watching you I'm at the same stage.
is my first montage and is not very good I'll start watching again its assembly
parabens very good and this has me very ajuadado your photos
tecotecovoador is offline Find More Posts by tecotecovoador
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Thank you tecotecovoador. I had to use a online dictionary to translate some of your words

I have covered the rest of the tail pieces and I have also added a 3mm balsa platform which will add additional stability when attaching the horizontal stabilizer. The vertical balsa strip that is attached to the trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer will be trimmed to the correct length and sanded to the correct width when it has been fitted to the fuse.

Total hours: 29.75
Last edited by Riaandt; Mar 05, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:57 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,395 Posts
Looking good!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Apr 07, 2013, 09:35 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
any progress?
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
The only thing I have done was to sand down all my wing surfaces again. Needs to be super smooth before I start covering. Apart from that I have not done anything else. Work getting in the way at the moment. Working 12 - 14 hour days so I do not have the energy to do anything else right now. I am hoping to get cracking on this project again in a few weeks time.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Apr 2013
2 Posts
The ultimate bipe looks great. Since it looks great it should fly great too! I never got around to building one. Glad to see one be built!
Dan Marlowe
Lt_Dan_M is offline Find More Posts by Lt_Dan_M
Old May 03, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
OK so things are quieting down a little on the work front although the studies are still keeping me pretty busy. I went to my LHS today and purchased the servo's for my bottom wing. I went with the JR NES-591 servos. The torque rating on these servos are 5.11kg-cm. I am installing one servo in each side of the bottom wing. The servos will be driving the top wing aileron and bottom wing aileron for each respective side. I also purchased another roll of covering film.

From Monday evening I will start working on installing the servo's and completing the bottom and top wing construction as well as the covering.
Old May 06, 2013, 02:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
The servos are a little too big to fit into the wing. Not a train smash though as I was planning on using the same servos for the elevator and rudder so I'll go in search for smaller servos for the bottom wing and use the current servos for the Elevator and Rudder. I continued on the balsa sheeting on the top wing and also started work on the Turtle decks. I used 3 separate pieces of ply to create the turtle decks as the shape of the fuse requires different angles to be cut to make it fit. I found this to be easier than using one piece of plywood.

I filled in all little gaps and discrepancies with One strike filler. I know it seems like excessive filling but 90% of the filling you see will be sanding off. I also used filling on the edges of the turtle decks since the cutting the edges of the ply against the grain caused the ply to splinter and chip off in certain places. The filling will smooth out these gaps nicely. I only finished work at 01:00 this morning so I didn't have time to sand it down. Will definitely do that tonight and post more photos.

Total hours 32
Old May 06, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I sanded down the turtle decks I filled yesterday. I also installed the tail servos. I used the 6mm spruce bars that I used for the wing spars to mount the servos. I drilled holes in each end of the spruce bars and fitted them by using 3mm self tapping screws.

I started stripping the covering film from the horizontal stab in preparation for fitting. I'll start work on the cowl next.

Total hours: 34
Old May 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I have decided to build my own cowl. My idea is to do the basic construction for the cowl and then to thicken the outer walls with balsa sheets. From this I will have a thicker wall of balsa to shape the cowl so that it looks the way it should. I mark the shape of the cut outs that I want to do and then make sure that the balsa sheets that I used to pad the cowl is thick enough for the part I am about to shape. I will mark the general shape and size I want for all sides of the cowl and then cut the rough shape. The initial shaping is done with a Dremel tool with a sanding bit. The final shaping will be done by hand sanding.

I'll start with the sanding process tomorrow evening and post more photo's.

Total hours: 36.5
Last edited by Riaandt; May 12, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
The cowl is nearing completion. I am done padding the inside of the cowl and most of the shaping has been done. Cowl was padded on the inside using 2.5 and 5mm balsa and layered using super glue and epoxy in places. I used filler to smooth out a few rough patches and also to assist with some shaping. I am currently waiting for the filler to dry. After final shaping and sanding I will cut the air vents in the cowl nose.

Total hours: 44 hours.
Old May 14, 2013, 07:51 PM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
looking great.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old May 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I sanded the cowl down using grit 100 sanding paper and then smoothed it over with grit 220 sanding paper. I cut the air vents in the nose of the cowl. I know this shape and style isn't anything like the real Ultimate cowl but I like to improvise as I go along

Next step will be to clean out the excessive balsa layers in side the cowl.

Total hours: 45.5.
Last edited by Riaandt; May 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I started removing the excess balsa layering on the inside of the cowl. Not done yet but removed most of it. I also cut the bottom wing ailerons to size and beveled the leading edge of the ailerons. I did the beveling with a hobby knife and smoothed it over with 220 grit sand paper.

Total hours: 47.5