HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:12 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I cut and sanded the ailerons to shape. I also fitted the trailing edge to the inside of the bottom wing. You will notice that I decided to go with the full ailerons instead of the half ailerons as per the plans. I also decide to make the ailerons a little wider than the plans call for. I want the extra surface area and sensitivity from the ailerons. I also only have access to limited types and cuts of Balsa so I have to work with what I can get my hands on. The plans call for 9mm x 31mm Symmetrical triangle balsa but all I could get was 13mm x 50mm non-symmetrical balsa. I had to sand the leading edge on the ailerons flat en then sand the rounded edge. When I fit the ailerons to the wing I will do the final sizing and adjustments.

Time spent 1 hours and 40 minutes. Total time 19.66 hours.
Riaandt is offline Find More Posts by Riaandt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Started on the top wing. This is all I had time for tonight.

20.49 hours.
Last edited by Riaandt; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:11 PM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Still making progress tho. Looking good.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Have you started your build yet?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:29 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
I have the plans and putting a list together to get all the wood at once(or atleast try). I have composite DLG on the bench now I need to get done before I start on this too.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
joined the two halves of the top wing and glued the trailing edge in place. Still need to trim the edges.

22.49 hours.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:48 AM
United States, OH, Willshire
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Subscribed and watching with interest. I am going to build one of these as well. Thanks for sharing the plans! Is there a source for the cowl and canopy? or do you just use any .40 size Ultimate cowl and canopy from any manufacturer you can find?
Island Runner is offline Find More Posts by Island Runner
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I do not have a definite answer for you with regards to the canopy and the cowl. I am interested in buying the Ultimate 40 cowl and canopy from Nitroplanes:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90co.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/90redca.html

I contacted their technical support to inquire about the dimensions of the cowl but because they do not have any stock they are unable to assist me. I will wait until they get stock and contact them again. I will post the details here as soon as I know.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I have added the leading edge to the top wing and started on the balsa sheeting.

24 hours.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I'm leaving on a business trip this weekend and will only be back on 4 March 2013. No building for me until then

This is what I have done so far. When I look at it packed out like this it is hard to believe that I have spent 24 hours building this so far. Seems like a lot of hours spent and not that much is done. I think I'm to used to building with foam and Correx
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:19 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Built up wings take longer no doubt. You have the long/hard part done, so I think it will go pretty quick from here.

Ryan
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:27 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
hello I'm riding the same model here in Brazil, and noticed that you did not put the ribs on the sides of the fuselage, why?
tecotecovoador is offline Find More Posts by tecotecovoador
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
This is how the ribs are according to the plans. Since this is my first balsa build I decided to stick to the plans as far as possible.

Would you do it differently and if so, why?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:58 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
hello as I'm riding the same plane, the plant number 3 barrel lower right side has a piece of plywood to be glued to the fuselage as reinforcement and found that you did not, then I thought I could not put it so I would eliminate weight .
tecotecovoador is offline Find More Posts by tecotecovoador
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
My apologies, I misunderstood your first comment. I did add the plywood to the fuselage sides running from the nose to just past the third fuse former. If you open the photo that I posted in post #25 you will see the edge of the ply run down at an angle from the top of the fuse to the bottom just after the third fuse former. Leaving it out does not save much weight as the ply I used is only 0.6mm thick and it does add a lot of strength to the fuselage so I do recommend you add it.

How far along are you with your build? If you have a build log please post the link here as I would like to follow your progress.
Last edited by Riaandt; Mar 04, 2013 at 08:19 AM.