Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:10 AM
Aeroplot
Down Under
Joined Mar 2008
91 Posts
Question
Cellpro 10S 1C accurate charging

Hi,
when I set accurate charging to 1C on my Cellpro 10S it starts charging Fast and the current is well over 1C - charging 2200 mAh with 5 - 7 Amps. I do not mind when charging batteries with 20C and more, but recently I put on the charger Tx battery 2200 mAh. Tx batteries have low C rating but the charging current was so high that the battery got very hot and even slightly puffed. I wonder if this is my fault (in setup) or if I have to set the charging current to a specified current value rather than relying a C rating?
crashdaily is offline Find More Posts by crashdaily
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,004 Posts
Firmware version 2.23 limits auto amps to 4 amps. You can update to the latest firmware, or manually set the charge current.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:45 PM
Aeroplot
Down Under
Joined Mar 2008
91 Posts
Thanks Gregor for your reply.
However, I am still confused with charging set to 1C.
Anyway, from now on I will set the current manually.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:16 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,004 Posts
Setting to 1c charging on the charger uses the auto mode. This method automatically determines the size of the pack based on a fuel table stored in the charger combined with the pack's response to the initial amount of current. I used this method for many years and it worked quite well. However once packs started reaching about 25c discharge rate, the fuel tables between packs no longer matched the fuel table in the charger. New FMA chargers have the ability to use multiple fuel maps as well as create your own fuel map for each type of pack you have.

However because the method requires a small amount assessing during the early stages of charging, it will not be as fast as just setting your desired charge rate. With all the presets available and the easy to use PC interface for creating presets, I find that method more to my liking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:03 PM
Aeroplot
Down Under
Joined Mar 2008
91 Posts
This explains a lot. Practically it means not to rely on automatic setting. Another disappointment with this charger. At least balancing is accurate.
Thanks for your help,
Regards,
Zdenek
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,004 Posts
Practically it means not to rely on automatic setting

When the charger was released back in 2008, the feature worked well. One could rely on it. As the battery technology changed, the auto mode on the more recent FMA chargers changed to accommodate. Many other brands don't even have an auto mode, nor the 1 amp balancing, nor the usable PC software.

Another disappointment with this charger

Really hard to know what is meant by that. I've owned a Cellpro10s since they came out and still use it today. As my charging needs have grown I have added other chargers which accommodate all of my charging scenarios. Even with a number of other charger to use, I still occasionally pull out the Cellpro10s as there some things that it does better than other chargers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:58 PM
Aeroplot
Down Under
Joined Mar 2008
91 Posts
I did not mean to diminish the quality of this charger, but there are few things that could be improved - and it should be in the interest of the FMA Direct.
I bought the charger in 2010 in good faith that it is all I needed for my lipos. My batteries are one to two years old and I am very happy with the accuracy of the charger - especially balancing. But for the price of $110 I would expect:
- that the charger has a discharge function (you can't charge to storage capacity if the battery has more than capacity charge),
- that you can charge without balancing leads connected (not a problem for me so far),
- that the menu is more convenient - you have to cycle through all the settings to get to the point that you missed,
- and it should be mentioned in the manual that automatic charging can be inaccurate and dangerous (it may be common sense, but some - including me - lack it ).

Otherwise, I am happy with the charger and I am happy that I have learned how to use it properly,
thanks again,
Regards,
Zdenek
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,004 Posts
- that the charger has a discharge function (you can't charge to storage capacity if the battery has more than capacity charge),

Agreed. Not a common feature when the Cellpro10s was released but it is now. Later FMA models such as the Cellpro10XP and the Powerlabs do have this feature.

- that you can charge without balancing leads connected (not a problem for me so far),

Agreed, but only on 1s. For anything above 1s, the charger should be connected to all cells for safety reasons. Not just to get the cell count right (an automatic feature you get for free) but also to detect cell issues and abort the charge or step down to safety charge mode. Many lipo fires have one thing in common, a balance connector was not used.

- that the menu is more convenient - you have to cycle through all the settings to get to the point that you missed,

Agreed. Addressed in the Powerlab line.

- and it should be mentioned in the manual that automatic charging can be inaccurate and dangerous (it may be common sense, but some - including me - lack it ).

There was a significant warning and detailed explanation of this on FMA web site on the Cellpro10s. Additionally there was a firmware upgrade to limit the max amps in auto mode. Sorry that you missed both.
RCG Plus Member