HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:49 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,353 Posts
Data
3d: building light?

when you get into 3d, 1st you want to learn to fly without crashing too often. of course, using epp will cut your training time considerably. once you don't crash too often, and your crashes are not catastrophic anymore, then you can think of improving your plane's performance. you read or hear from other guys talking about lighter planes performing better. sometimes you even watch them flying and speculating about it. then you know that you would like to build light so your plane helps you to do things easier. but how far can you go? when are you passing the boundaries of building light and getting into building fragile? and if you fly at a place where other guys fly at the same time and some are sort of kamikaze hunting for targets, you don't want to build fragile, even if you don't hit hard anymore. so, 1st you decide if you are going to fly only when there is no danger of midairs and build light, or to fly whenever and build strong. then, you begin building planes each 1 lighter than the 1 before. but you have to decide when to stop. that is, if you still have ideas on how to save a few grams without the plane disintegrating in mid air. but it is lots of fun. for instance: when i began building 'compact' 3d (24" ws, 100 gr auw), and using 6mm epp, my 1st plane ended up at 100 gr auw with a 2x300 pack (lipo). with the motor developing 140 grams of thrust on 2 cells, its power-to-weight ratio was enough to do 3d comfortably. then i went further and built a 2nd 1 that weighed 85 grams. what a difference! it flies slower, that gives me more time to think what am doing, so it's easier to do anything. when this happens, you don't want to go back to the heavier 1, that you can fly when the place is crowded and you don't care much if something happens, and also because it can take more punishment. but that creates 2 separate categories. so maybe it's good to keep both to fly depending of circumstances.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:00 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
547 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head, I keep many planes around for just that reason. it depends where I fly, and with who. Some times you want to fly low and slow and other times you want to tear up the sky. I also make the F-22 out of foam and love it in it's own right. (for a chang of pace). Every plane I have ever flown, flys different. I think that is what makes this hobby so great.
Barney Boy is online now Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 88 mph
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Boy View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head, I keep many planes around for just that reason. it depends where I fly, and with who. Some times you want to fly low and slow and other times you want to tear up the sky. I also make the F-22 out of foam and love it in it's own right. (for a change of pace).
Every plane I have ever flown, flys different'. I think that is what makes this hobby so great.
'Every plane I have ever flown, flys different'.

isn't that true? i don't know why. i try to build 2 identical, but they don't fly the same. it is like if each 1 has his own personality.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez