Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by ttraver
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,446 Posts
Awesome Ken!

Yes, I have a DX-18 as well, and I think its a great radio.

So, have you thought of trying some F3B? I know Warren has probably already got you thinking about the F3F scene in socal, but the F3B guys are a great group. If you've never tried it, F3B is pretty exciting, and you don't have to wait for any wind... There are plenty of top notch experienced pilots that would help you to get that Precision going good!

Not to say that the F3F crowd isn't the same...I'm an in betweener...F3F and F3B...

Let me know if you are interested, and you can bring your plane out and launch on our winches.

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
877 Posts
Tim...I know squat about either. I'll start with F3F...then see how things go.

Ken
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:32 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
877 Posts
Well I set the jig up at 102 mm Then I started to pour in the nose weight.

Coming out to 138 g

I then poured the epoxy coming up to 20 g And then remove 20 g of the lead shot.

I mixed up the epoxy and then poured the lead shot into the nose followed by the epoxy.

I then weighed the remaining epoxy in the cup and then added that much lead shot back into the nose.

The whole shebang is sitting in the corner setting up.

I'll post the AUW tomorrow.

Ken
Last edited by Yablonsky; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:36 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
877 Posts
a few extra pics of the process

All balanced
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640007.426999.jpg
Views: 164
Size: 161.0 KB
Description:

138 g lead shot
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640026.085600.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 113.7 KB
Description:

Mixin the epoxy
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640053.269008.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 131.5 KB
Description:

Remove 20 g of lead shot
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640071.718520.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 130.6 KB
Description:

118 g lead shot for the nose
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640099.718892.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 145.4 KB
Description:

All poured in
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640126.135698.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 109.0 KB
Description:

Um....extra parts? I guess so.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640143.268575.jpg
Views: 105
Size: 147.1 KB
Description:

Ken
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by ttraver
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
Tim...I know squat about either. I'll start with F3F...then see how things go.

Ken
Well, you live in the F3X rich environment here in SoCal. Everyone on the first F3F US Team is here, and almost everyone on the US F3B team is here too...

And they are all willing to help you out, me included.

You should go to that F3F intro that Warren is putting on in a couple weeks. The new F3F season is coming up fast. Everyone there will help you get dialed in to Fermin.

Welcome to the group Ken!

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by Avaldes
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,838 Posts
Great description of your setup Mike! Good use of the power of our radios these days.
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:20 AM
Find More Posts by FLY F3B
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Great description of your setup Mike! Good use of the power of our radios these days.
Thanks Aaron.

Wish you weren't so far away.

Hope to see you soon.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Avaldes
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,838 Posts
Me too. Cal Valley isn't nearly as fun without someone to enjoy it with
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by djklein21
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Me too. Cal Valley isn't nearly as fun without someone to enjoy it with
If you build it they will come. Set a date and get us out there to play. Too bad you are not hitting Florida with us next week.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by THE EYE
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2006
215 Posts
A, you need to drive over to visalia and fly soon.
THE EYE is offline Find More Posts by THE EYE
Old Feb 04, 2016, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by magic1
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Oct 2005
102 Posts
Viking Funeral for Precious The Pike

Ken, Well as you know the Pike was amazing. She flew fast, really fast. 178mph at Watertank...a new record there I think. Her carrier ended in a blaze of glory. A very spectacular ending. As Trump would say it was " uuuuuuugggggeeeeee"

I found your thread this am whilst looking for some build instructions for a pike I am building to replace her. Attached are some pictures of the NTSB REPORT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
So, I'm walking through the AMA Expo here in Ontario and I run across the Soaring USA booth and they have all these magnificent looking planes all over the back wall. I've been dying to buy and own such an awesome looking plane.

Well, I take my time and think things through and I decide I want one to build and fly. I ask the guy behind the booth a lot of questions, about this plane and that plane and I ask about wing spans and such. I don't have a large car...so a one piece wing is out of the question. I've also never had a V-tail...so I choose the Pike Precision. I also have been thinking about the RDS system for the ailerons and flaps.

They tell me the only one that has the RDS built in is the Pike Precision on the back wall. You know...the one with the honeycomb paint design...Pics to come soon.

I make up my mind and slap down the plastic and order it. I also take into consideration that I want the recommended servos, so I ask about those and they help me choose what is recommended and would fit the plane.

They don't want to pull the plane off the wall on Saturday. it would leave a big gap and that beautiful looking plane would not attract further customers. They promise to ship free of charge as soon as the show is over, so I agree.

I've been waiting a few days for this package to come in and low and behold, it's shipped Fedex and they require a signature and obviously I was at work during the delivery so back onto the truck and left me a notice. I had come home for lunch and just missed the truck by about 15 minutes....dammit. I call and ask if they can leave at a location nearby and they do....the following day.

I drop by the location after work the following day and pick up the package. box looks nice and clean...no expected damage. I get the box home and start slowly cutting through the tape. Everything is nicely packaged and bubble wrapped. I pull out the wings, and unwrap them and set them aside. I pull out the v-tails and also set them aside. Next is the fuse and still set that aside. Finally I look through the box and pull out the bag full of RDS stuff....looking through the box further and picking it up, I notice that it still feels really heavy...I poke around and down at the bottom of the left corner is a mass of tape and plastic bag. I pull it out and it weighs a ton....ballast!

Lots of nicely cut and cleaned up brass ballast.

I next start to pull out one of the wings from the bags that they shipped in. Nice....and they look amazing. I turn it over and over and look at every angle and just admire the beautiful paint design. Just awesome.

I do the same with the the other wing, inspecting it for any flaws..there are a few minor paint flaws, but none in the wing, that I can tell. I move onto the v-tails and they also look magnificent and no design flaws...I don't see any paint flaws, but I'm getting dizzy now from all this beautiful plane.

I then move onto the fuse and pull it out of the fuse bag...just awesome...and inspect it. It also just looks amazing. I can't believe the quality workmanship. the whole thing is just fantastic.

I mull over the ballast and spread it out on the bench and then look through all the RDS stuff.

At this point I notice that the RDS system is not really installed. I look at the wing and the servo holes and notice that the RDS looks well planned, however nothing is really done. The hole for the RDS wiper blade isn't even drilled. I look through the box and find no instructions...at all. I would have thought that for the price of this thing there would be some kind of instructions. I've purchased $99-200 planes with TONS of instructions. I spend this much on a Pike Precision and zip...nada...zilch. Definitely makes me think twice about purchasing from them again. I likely will, they do make beautiful planes.

I've searched RCG for RDS instructions and I've even emailed the SUSA group and they sent me a link for a few videos on the installation...all of the videos have NO SOUND. Do you know how difficult it is to watch someone install an RDS system...in the final stages? You gotta be kidding me.

Well...That leads me to....here.

A build log...hopefully with my input and questions, You all could guide me and I can provide the next noob some instructions. I'll likely end up with better instructions than the SUSA group has...no offense.

I've done enough talking...I'll have to upload all the pics I've taken so far and I'll begin the build log with the RDS system since that is the major component that is missing and the most difficult to take on.

Ken
magic1 is offline Find More Posts by magic1
Old Feb 04, 2016, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by BDK74
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2012
791 Posts
That is some very thorough destruction.

Well done.
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74
Old Feb 04, 2016, 02:56 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
877 Posts
Boooohoooooohoooo......Waaaaaaaa......My Precious.....
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by concreteman
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
2,227 Posts
That is thoroughly beat....
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Feb 04, 2016, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by roydor
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,414 Posts
Just a flesh wound...

Could be a challenging repair job...
I've seen an old V-ultra put back together once from about 100 different small pieces
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor