HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2009
162 Posts
Ok guys I have a A3 from VICTO MODEL and I just bought some 50 lb SS single stran for it. Is this adequate for it our is it to much? This boat is not for racing. I should have ask this question be for I bought the wire.lol
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
Ace Hardware

I have some from Ace Hardware - AFW Surflon - 1 X 7, 60 # and coated - 30ft to a spool; and I think about $4 -5 per.
Richard
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:51 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Baker View Post
I have some from Ace Hardware - AFW Surflon - 1 X 7, 60 # and coated - 30ft to a spool; and I think about $4 -5 per.
Richard
My response is that 60 lbs is a lot! Consider lifting a 60 pound object - it is heavy!
I tried 60 lb and found it way to much for a 1 meter or smaller boat. I prefer 30 to 45 lb test.
As I have mentioned before, I can't image an RC sailboat being sailed in conditions that would merit that kind of stress on the shrouds.

If you read back through the previous posts here you'll see a lot of different opinions on what strength line to use, so you'll have to decide for yourself.

I think you should be able to find a better price if you shop on line a little. The 30 and 45lb test are a little less pricey.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
I just picked up 80 pound test stuff that is made out of a braided nylon or spectra type line 1mm or less thick. Super light weight and not stretchy at all. Cost me 6 bucks taxes in for 60 yards. The stuff is white in color with a green stripe through it. Looks much better then the stuff that came on my HK Surmount. Best part was the stuff is made locally.

Also got a free set of ankle weights from a store even. Needed a cheap set for ballast. Saw some on the shelf all alone with no packaging. Figured they would be a deal and a half. Asked how much. After a system search with nothing coming up I was told to just take them. Canadiantire rocks! Took them home and they seem to be filed with fine Iron. Will that work?

Also picked up some Aluminum L bracket to make chain plate and bowsies and such. Going to have some fun now.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:30 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
Wire

Boomer,
I agree whole heartedly. The 60# is what I presently have - a gift. I'm on my way to FL and will look for the lighter stuff.
Richard
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:47 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,086 Posts
You would be surprised just how much cutting down on the diameter of the standing rigging can reduce the windage.

I just replaced some 0.025" coated nylon with solid 0.008 SS (which is rated at 45 lbs) on a double stayed rig and when holding and moving the boat about in your hand you can feel the difference the less wind resistance that the smaller line provides. That has got to be a good thing on a beat when racing.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher