HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Discussion
wire

I met a man at Hansen Dan last week buy the name of JC if I remember correctly and he had coded wire on his rigging. Where can I buy this type of wire? Thanks Mike
m.g. is online now Find More Posts by m.g.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:35 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
680 Posts
I assume you mean nylon coated wire. I use this stuff, it's nylon coated 1x7 Stainless fishing leader wire. http://www.afwhiseas.com/HI-SEAS-Surflon-s/1835.htm

I usually buy it by the spool on Ebay. 30lb test seems adequate for the boats I've used it on.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:43 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.g. View Post
I met a man at Hansen Dan last week buy the name of JC if I remember correctly and he had coded wire on his rigging. Where can I buy this type of wire? Thanks Mike
Probably any fishing shop or as you Americans say tackle store.
Nearly all rigging used on Rc yachts would be fishing line of some sort
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:08 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
I used SS wire leader as a similar function to "Rod" rigging on full scale -- not multi-strand nylon covered.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=227

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post21100184
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:49 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,137 Posts
My personal opinion: Skip the coated wire.

I have had, and seen, to many failures with the coated wire - at the ferrules. Once I ran out of the coated and started using the uncoated wire, I haven't had a failure (and now I have a bunch of extra wire).
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:49 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,267 Posts
MG if you want coated wire or any bits for your boat, get to Hansen Dam this Sunday the 27th. Jay king supplies that coated wire to the local sailors. Also Thomas Brighton of Brighton Boat Works will be there sailing, he has all the rigging supplies needed for building.
This Sunday starting at 11, the local club will be racing US1M and RG65s.

Manny
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,139 Posts
Guz:

Were the multistrand wire failures due to fatigue of the wire strands at the ferrules or did they slip out? You have to strip the coating from the wire where it will be in the ferrule.

I have used both the Sevenstrand Sevalon http://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/s..._detail&p=3203 and single strand ss wire sold for control line planes.

You have to use the correct size ferrules for the size wire you are using and the proper crimping tool to get the proper "bite" on the wire or it will creep under load.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:04 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
My personal opinion: Skip the coated wire.

I have had, and seen, to many failures with the coated wire - at the ferrules. Once I ran out of the coated and started using the uncoated wire, I haven't had a failure (and now I have a bunch of extra wire).
Wow - never had an issue with the nylon coated leader I use. I am guessing but if you used ferrules or sleeves that were not matched to the test (diameter) of leader or "wire" that could be a possibility. The nylon coating is a safe guard to eliminate a loose strand from tearing or snagging the sails.

Just sayin.............
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,267 Posts
I think I have seen the coated wire MG saw at Hansen Dam, it is single strand and coated in vinyl.
Most failures I have seen are not broken but bad crimping. And that will happen on any wire.
Last edited by gpzy; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
MG if you want coated wire or any bits for your boat, get to Hansen Dam this Sunday the 27th. Jay king supplies that coated wire to the local sailors. Also Thomas Brighton of Brighton Boat Works will be there sailing, he has all the rigging supplies needed for building.
This Sunday starting at 11, the local club will be racing US1M and RG65s.

Manny
Thanks GPZY Jay King is the man I met nice guy.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,267 Posts
I should be there Sunday with my US1M.

Manny
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
I thank you guys for the info I'm just getting started with this hobby, I'm leaving Gas boats for sailing. I met some guys a the dam last week and they were very good with info. I hope to make it out there soon to see what the clubs all about. I enjoy building and sailing these boats and would like to learn more about them.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,267 Posts
Sailing also at Balboa out in the Valley. Saturday the 26th they will be out there with Micro Magics and Victor Models Soling One Meters.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,104 Posts
Is that a sausage your sailing Manny?

woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007