HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,727 Posts
that sort of reminds me the Scaled Composites ATTT (http://www.scaled.com/projects/advan...transport_attt)
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:34 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
F&T,
do you work with this project!?...Soon my wii board hase to arrive to me..
Cheers
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:30 AM
Joined Feb 2007
76 Posts
Hello F&T, pm for you!
ciervapilot is offline Find More Posts by ciervapilot
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:34 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
F&TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT,
where are youuuu!?
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:38 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
sorry guys, I haven't had any time to do more testing/prototyping. I didn't receive any pm's yet. I did get the twin boom section added to the existing wing but now I need to stop procrastinating and build the fuselage section Have to take care of school work first.

also those concepts are very cool guys, the plane is already starting to look very similar to those (at least the final one will)
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:04 AM
United States, UT, Lindon
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Cesar,

In my opinion; by far; the easiest way to do a successful VTOL project at this time (in terms of coding/programing) is a 4 fan tilt quadcopter integrated into a suitable fixed wing airframe. You can do this with any flight control board using only the standard quad copter controls for hover. If you use a KK board, you shouldn't need a computer at all, the gyro tuning is done with little adjustable pots (potentiometers) on the board. Example of this approach.

You'll need some Y connectors to split the Rx signals to the FCB and to the fixed wing control surface and a servo slower to slow down the tilt servo.

Randstclair is going this general direction with his Quad Bixler build.

With the Wii, you can handle almost any other situation and do tons (almost no limit) of cool stuff, but be prepared to strain your brain with the programming. Cass's F-35 program would lower the flaps and tailerons during hover as an example. As another example of the great flexibility of the Wii, I was able to create a flybarless 450 using the Wii controller, but I would have not been successful on the Chopper or the F-35 without a ton of help from Cass.

With the Wii, a lot of the hard programming work has already been done by Rcvertt and Cass, but for someone without programming experience, even something that should be simple such as changing the direction of a servo can be very difficult.
Gosh this looks really great. And I would love one. (And would work in my limited area)
But I have to say I did not understand any of the above.
Any where to get parts, and instructions?
John35 is offline Find More Posts by John35
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:23 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John35 View Post
Gosh this looks really great. And I would love one. (And would work in my limited area)
But I have to say I did not understand any of the above.
Any where to get parts, and instructions?
Step 1 build a quadcopter. This will get you the experience, knowledge and understanding to take Step 2 with good chances of success.

Step 2, integrate the quadcopter into a suitable airframe.

An analogy would be trying to juggle while riding a unicycle. Learn to juggle, learn to ride a unicycle, then bring the two together.

What RC experience do our have?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
76 Posts
Various concepts for tricopter and quadrocopter tilt rotor VTOLs

I found some really interesting concepts for tilt rotor VTOLs on this website:
http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/Free_EoFG_MV.htm
I have downloaded and adapted some concepts to the needs of quadrocopter and tricopter tilt rotor planes.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,099 Posts
Hey ,, these are cool ... and use one of my favorite airplanes !!!!
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:07 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Feb 2013
26 Posts
Precisely what material you used (the pink)?
STARFOXFAM is offline Find More Posts by STARFOXFAM
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:38 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
the pink one is made up of this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...1#.UUzdbRysiSo

Some of those concepts ciervapilot definitely look neat! You planning to build any of them?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:56 AM
Joined Feb 2007
76 Posts
Hi Peter,

perhaps someday I will build one of these. But what I am really interested in is your Chimera! Could you please give me some more infos: weight, motors you used, software on your flight controller, ....
Last edited by ciervapilot; Mar 29, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:05 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Update.... I know it took me looooooooong enough... But here it is, Todays flights were excellent, it flew great and transitions were almost hands off and now in this configuration I can use 3 of the exact same motors and esc's, plus its now a neutral tricopter and the CG for the wing is correct. I also upgraded to a 2200mah 3s since each motor does more or less of the same amount of work in hover.

ciervapilot, the motors are the Hextronic 24 gram motors, ESC's are the 12amp mystery variety. servos are generic 9 grams for ail/elevator the tilt servos are hs-82mgs and some other variety of HS metal gear servo. the control board is in this thread, its the multiwii setup (which I still have to do the write up on how to assemble)

video tomorrow...
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2007
76 Posts
Hi Peter,

thank you for your infos. Very cool twin boom design. Looks somehow like the Bronco.

Steve
Last edited by ciervapilot; Apr 04, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,727 Posts
Actually, with a Bronco arrangement and the tail rotor in a pusher arrangement it could also be set up for tilting through conversion.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano