SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:02 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
I have been watching the build. The hull is looking very nice. I have never seen a sander like that, looks like it does a good job.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Planking

Today I cut the first of the mahogany planks. I want to thank John Campbell for the "how to" in doing this type of planking. I also want to thank Pat Matthews for his advice about this type of work. At this point I'm not sure if it has worked completely or not. I have sanded the mahogany plank to what I believe to be the correct shape but I have not fitted it to the hull yet.
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:51 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Spindle sander GOOD.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Yes it is good also for thinning skin and finger nails. Yeow!!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,154 Posts
Looking good John, I to have lost skin to the evil sander
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:42 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Ditto.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Great tutorial on planking. Thanks!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Planking

Today I fitted the mahogany planks to the hull. I had to bevel the edge that fits against the keel but they came out fitting pretty well. I also learned that each set of planks needs to be fitted individually using the spiling batten. I know all you other guys out there are saying "well duh" but I didn't know. On the second set of planks I did not make a styrene pattern first. I just transferred the marks to the mahogany and tomorrow I will cut out and fit the second set of planks. I won't post again until I finish the bottom planking completely. Unless of course I come across something of interest.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:19 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,784 Posts
GRAVMAN- You are to be commended on lofting and laying out of the planking. The real truth is that except for practice in doing the planking, you did not have to worry about tapering the bottom planking and just ran the straight planking, usually about 1/2 wide to the chine line. Then on the sides of the hull, you could use your lofted tapered planking from the chine to the shears. The reason I say this is that the bottom of the hull is going to be painted and the planking will not be visible.

Great job on the build.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:57 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Rich, you are right. The bottom will never be seen and it does seem to be a complete waste of time but I wanted to practice with the bottom planking first. I have never tried ths before and working on the bottom I am learning what to do and what works best. I know from just a few inches away you can not tell if the planks are lofted on a model. The mahogany blends together and looks great. Your beautiful models look fantastic. Today when I fit the second set of planks I will get to see if it is possible to get a good joint between them. This will be the test. If I can refine the fit along 44 inches of plank I will be one happy model builder. Working on the bottom lowers the stress level and gives me an idea of what the sides will look like if I try to loft those planks. If the bottom comes out reasonably well then I will do the sides the same way. If the bottom looks crappy then I will do the sides just like Miss Severn. That model is my inspiration. She is beautiful. Stay tuned and see how it turns out.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Ok I just had to report that the fit of the second plank on the port side went very well. I had to do a little hand sanding in places but the important thing was that it had no gaps that needed filler. Surprised me I can tell you. I had to smile.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:03 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
You have skill+good luck, a winning combo !