HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:23 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,665 Posts
Build Log
Irene a 28 FT Hacker Craft

Recently I needed to go to the storage warehouse and pick up the MACK Products Miss Severn kit. I brought it home and inspected it and again I was struck by the beauty and grace of this boat. Rich does such a fantastic job on these kits. The Miss Severn is a Hacker design. I really wanted to work on something new and take a break from the PT Boat. Looking at this kit I decided that I wanted to try and build my own Mahogany Runabout. There is a 28 FT Runabout called Irene. She was a design of the "Dolphin" Series from the Hacker Boat Company. Initially I thought about modifying the Miss Severn but I quickly realized it was going to be more than just lengthening the hull. Miss Severn has an 8" beam and Irene has a 10" beam. The only way to make it work is to build from scratch. There are other differences between the two boats but in a lot of ways the layout is the same.
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:32 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,116 Posts
Go for it it will be a great build.The two of them together would be great
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,665 Posts
George looking at your builds was one of the reasons I am setting up another build. I am going to split my time between the PT and Irene.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:24 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,622 Posts
Excellent !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:36 AM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman View Post
George looking at your builds was one of the reasons I am setting up another build. I am going to split my time between the PT and Irene.
It clears the head ,when I go back to the other one it improves my concentration.
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:11 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,725 Posts
John L. Hacker used the same basic design and deck layout in his designs from 22 to 28 feet. In fact some of the modern builders using the plans from Hacker have stretched the hull length to over 30 feet, and some have even put a step in the bottom.

A lot of designers put different variations on the same design as they searched for the perfect setup. Sometimes they work some times they don’t. That is how new ideas and designs happen
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:33 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,571 Posts
Grav, what happened to the Lyman?
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:58 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,622 Posts
I like the vertical bow line.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,725 Posts
IRENE was one of the earlier designs of John L. Hacker with the broken shear line, sometimes “slipper “ design on the deck. You will notice that the stem in the bow looks to be almost past vertical in appearance. I would date the design sometime before the 1922 design of the ARAB VI.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,665 Posts
Rich, I'm glad you checked in on this. You are the expert on these beautiful old boats. I hope you don't mind if I use some of the same building techniques and materials that you use on Miss Severn. I did want to ask if Miss Severn carved a nice turn at speed? I have the Dumas Triple Cockpit CC and every time it goes into a turn it falls off the plane. For that reason I hardly ever run it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,725 Posts
GRAV- The boat will turn great at all speeds both to port and starboard, but if you try to cut the corner to tight to the port at speed, she will drop her stem and hunt a little. If you turn to the starboard there is no problem, due to the rotation of the prop. At speed I like to make a turn of about 20 foot radius, so I don‘t have to lift on the throttle.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,665 Posts
Plans Enlargement

OK, I got the plans enlarged for Irene. I want to thank my better half for taking the originals down to Kinko's and getting them blown up. She is a good shipmate.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:44 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:28 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,622 Posts
Excellent ... ~