HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:09 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,356 Posts
Question
HVLP detail gun recommendation

Does anyone have a good HVLP detail gun they would recommend? I tried following up some of the old links here for cheap Harbor Freight guns, but they don't exist any more. Gravity feed, 4 oz cup, 1mm nozzle is what I'm looking for. I had a Sharpe FX100 that got stolen, and they don't make that one any more.

Thanks!
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:51 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,090 Posts
I have been using this one - http://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-de...gun-46719.html with waterbased paints and Transtar clearcoat. It takes a bit of fussing to get the air/fluid flows correct, but for $35 it is hard to beat. It has a 0.8mm tip so whatever you spray needs to be thin or able to be reduced.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:02 PM
Firecracker!
Joined Oct 2004
2,356 Posts
I searched the HF site a couple of times and never found this gun! Thanks -- for $35 I might even get one for color and one for clear!

By the way, which Transtar clear are you using? I see there are several different ones. I'm always on the lookout for a decent clear that is isocyanate-free.

Bill
Last edited by BillO; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:04 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
Detail gun.

This one may be too small for you Bill. I have one, and they are fantastic!

Extremely economical to use for detailing stripes, wing tips etc.
I have mixed 1 ml of paint with 2 ml thinners for painting tips using a syringe, for example. Almost no waste!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125-ml-Sp...20845232088605
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
Firecracker!
Joined Oct 2004
2,356 Posts
Thanks, that looks very interesting, but you're right it is a bit small. I have an airbrush with a .5mm jet that I use for the small stuff...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:52 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,090 Posts
Quote:
I searched the HF site a couple of times and never found this gun! Thanks -- for $35 I might even get one for color and one for clear!
Yeah, their search engine or tagging is terrible. Unless you knew it was tagged as HVLP you would have never found it.

Quote:
By the way, which Transtar clear are you using? I see there are several different ones. I'm always on the lookout for a decent clear that is isocyanate-free.
I am using the 7311 Low VOC Euro Classic 2.1 with the 3728 fast activator. It does produce a hard glass-like finish, but because it is so hard it has a narrow 8 hr window to buff out. However......it DOES have polyisocynates in the activator. ( http://www.tat-co.com/product-files/...msds_73261.pdf ) I just use a 3M half face respirator with the organic cartridge. (Caution - they are only good for 40 hrs after opening unless stored in a zip lock bag when not in use).

FC
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:52 PM
Firecracker!
Joined Oct 2004
2,356 Posts
OK thanks for that. It is my understanding that a single exposure to isocyanates can cause very serious problems. It is recommended to use a positive-pressure full-face mask with that stuff. Be careful!!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
For what it's worth, I like a 1.4 mm tip for most composites stuff. It works great for PVA, paints, and clear-coats. It's a little small for some primers, but a little extra reducer usually lets it squeak through.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:35 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,601 Posts
Lowes has a small gravity feed HVLP gun that I have been using and love it. Mine has a 1.3mm tip.

Brand is Kobalt, Item #: 301339 and around $40

The spray isn't infinitely adjustable, but the gun has been very reliable, easy to clean, and consistent.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:00 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,848 Posts
Has any one tried this gun?

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-93305.html
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:31 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
This one may be too small for you Bill. I have one, and they are fantastic!

Extremely economical to use for detailing stripes, wing tips etc.
I have mixed 1 ml of paint with 2 ml thinners for painting tips using a syringe, for example. Almost no waste!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125-ml-Sp...20845232088605
I have one the same and used it to paint my motorcycle with 2 pack. Worked really well. Throws out a lot of paint if you want it to.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:40 PM
Firecracker!
Joined Oct 2004
2,356 Posts
I ended up ordering a Sharpe Finex FX 1000 with a 1mm tip, and one of the HF guns recommended by FC.

The HF gun just arrived and I must say it looks cheap (what do you expect for $35!). I had to wipe off some oil that was oozing from several spots; the trigger is too short for me to use 2 fingers; and every moving part feels "scratchy". I'm going to give it a try, and it may work OK, but surely this will not be a gun I enjoy using.

I paid $115 for the Sharpe gun, and everything about it is nicer. What really sold me (aside from the fact I had the previous generation) is that you can get different nozzle sizes, something I didn't see on any other detail gun. If I'm still having trouble shooting System 3 water-reducible clear, I'll get one of the bigger tips and see if that helps.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:36 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillO View Post
I ended up ordering a Sharpe Finex FX 1000 with a 1mm tip, and one of the HF guns recommended by FC.

The HF gun just arrived and I must say it looks cheap (what do you expect for $35!). I had to wipe off some oil that was oozing from several spots; the trigger is too short for me to use 2 fingers; and every moving part feels "scratchy". I'm going to give it a try, and it may work OK, but surely this will not be a gun I enjoy using.
Bill:
The instructions say that before using it you should take it apart and clean it. The oil is a rust proofing while it is in transit (in cargo containers sitting on the deck of a ship as it crawls its way across the Pacific!).

The trigger on mine was a little stiff too. A little polishing with 1200 grit wet/dry and it was fine. The cup leaked where it screwed into the base, but a little Teflon plumbers tape cured that.

For only $35 dollars, and less if you use the 20% off coupon, you expect it to be a bit "rough".

FC