Closed Thread
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:29 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Ahhhhhhh...But the align 500e is not your run of the mill Barbie doll plastic , It's actually a carbon fiber plastic mix.. Very strong. Yet just enough give if a crash were to take place it would rebound rite back. ( within reason..No hard core dirt naps of course ) Where as the metal would just bend. -imo- A perfect step up from 450 to 500 Pilots. I was not a fan of belt driven tails until i got ahold of this 500E..This one swayed me to appreciate both belt and T.T ** Main blade grips, washout control arms & tail case are carbon fiber / plastic **

P.s Did you by chance see that "Fake" Web site over in the Electric heli forum where they pulled the covers on the site where they were selling Align 500E's super combos for only $120 ??.....lol..If that were legit i would have bought 3 kits.

P.P.S....Mhills can give you some good info on the 500 Pro..From what i understand its one finicky bird that loves high head speed And has 3.5 - 4 min flight times. .....It's a Hot rod 500
So I guess the align plastic doesn't seem so bad. Maybe the metal just looks cooler.

Yeah I did see that thread about the scammer site. I worry about all sites until I've ordered a couple times from them, even then I generally go with the more popular places... Like when Amainhobbies sent me bad blades, they first answered my call right away (hard to come by sometimes), then immediately sent me out another set with a return label included in the box for the bad set. A lot of other sites I've dealt with made me ship the product back to them.

Mhills, those are some nice helis, I really like the airwolf. I still lean towards the pro model... which I'm used to from my other helis. So did the 500 pro model require a more powerful motor, or do you run a higher tcurve?

I'm nowhere close to buying a 500 just yet anyways. It seems like a big step in power and initial cost over a 450, which I wouldn't mind if it was just getting used to the higher power. Bigger always seems cooler though.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
The beast DNA is me that your remember lol! I got one for my 500pro. I have only gotten to fly it once and it does have a lot more punch than my Align packs
Well I should say Beenflying then mhills. BF also uses the WinMax. Hey you can't go wrong with anything he recommends..

For 50c packs they don't look that much bigger than my 30c Glacier packs from epbuddy.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:42 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
Because the 500pro is so over geared the best motor has been the 500mx. It even out powers the scorpions. You will still find some die hard scorpion fans in the pros, but they don't even try to make theirs sound better. Also because of the over gearing If you go much under 100% speed the heli bogs really bad. Amazingly at 100% it has zero bogging. I am running a 11t on mine so I do dip into the 95% on my idle 1. Also the 500e is great because you can use 20c packs without any worry of puffing. I wouldn't recommind using anything under 35c on the pro. Having said that I have been using 25c packs all year with mine.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,026 Posts
Hm, something to think about with the 500e vs the pro. Thanks mhills, maybe I will just look into the 500e when I do get into the next size.

Slight change of subject but, and totally out of place here in the large heli forum, but other than that guys I'm really itching to pull the trigger on a BNF Ultra Micro Stryker 180 & a Blade Nano together...$200 new!!! What do you guys think?

The Styker, because it's cheap and cool. Flat spins galore.

The nano, I basically got rid of my mcpx to get one. The mcpx tail and the bogging motor ticked me off one too many times.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Hm, something to think about with the 500e vs the pro. Thanks mhills, maybe I will just look into the 500e when I do get into the next size.

Slight change of subject but, and totally out of place here in the large heli forum, but other than that guys I'm really itching to pull the trigger on a BNF Ultra Micro Stryker 180 & a Blade Nano together...$200 new!!! What do you guys think?

The Styker, because it's cheap and cool. Flat spins galore.

The nano, I basically got rid of my mcpx to get one. The mcpx tail and the bogging motor ticked me off one too many times.
I love my nano, I say go for it
mrmj2u is online now Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,026 Posts
Yeah it seems everyone that owns one loves it.

I don't want to make the same mistake twice, but I need some kind of micro no matter what. I was never able to do anything with the mcpx other than upright flight, inverted just didn't hold up for me with the motor bogging down or the tail twitching mid flip and screwing my noob inverted orientation up. But I'm hoping the nano is much better like people say, as far as the tail and the power/weight ratio. At least I hear it's more durable than even the mcpx so that's a plus.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,026 Posts
I was also going to say, in regards to the flybar'd 500e, I'm not sure about getting another FB'd heli. It seems like flybar parts are harder and harder to find as it is, one day they may be nonexistent. What are your guy's thoughts on this? I see mhills51, you have 1 FBL & 1 FB'd 500 pro, and dejavu seems to prefer FB's. I have FB's on both my 450 helis, but the next thing I buy will probably be FBL just based on future availability of parts.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:14 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
hmmmmm, I'm thinking flybars will be around for awhile. When you consider all the flight tweaking required FBL helis are much harder to setup. Honestly, I never met a heli I didn't love cept maybe the mSR
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:21 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
250 Posts
I have to disagree... My FBL Helis were extremely easy to setup. The cheaper FBL controllers and crappy 3Gx controllers are hard to dial in. I use the BeastX controllers and they work ready well.
mrmj2u is online now Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:28 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
hmmmmm, I'm thinking flybars will be around for awhile. When you consider all the flight tweaking required FBL helis are much harder to setup. Honestly, I never met a heli I didn't love cept maybe the mSR
It all depends on the controller. Take the beastx. It is so simple a caveman could do it.

I agree that parts will be around for a long time. In fact you can get some great deals on head parts from all the people converting over to FBL right now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:40 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
I was also going to say, in regards to the flybar'd 500e, I'm not sure about getting another FB'd heli. It seems like flybar parts are harder and harder to find as it is, one day they may be nonexistent. What are your guy's thoughts on this? I see mhills51, you have 1 FBL & 1 FB'd 500 pro, and dejavu seems to prefer FB's. I have FB's on both my 450 helis, but the next thing I buy will probably be FBL just based on future availability of parts.
Yes I love me some flybar helis..lol..To date everything i have owned is flybar. Not saying fbl is bad what so ever. Obviously I'm the odd one out when it comes to fb vs. fbl. I think that over the past few years it's what i have been so accustomed to flying it just feels better, More locked in for "me". I have tried a friends fbl 500 twice and it just felt mushy around center stick.
Maybe he had it set up wrong..I have no idea. fbl does look a whole hell of alot better. But yes I have been looking for an "align" 450 pro fb head and there becoming very difficult to find. Every now and then i will find one on E-bay only to be beat out by the damn snipers.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:48 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,622 Posts
Hey what wattage or even brand name are you guys using for your soldering Iron ?? Today i was going to Fix a couple what i think are horrible looking battery plug jobs, only to get pissed off at my Chinese 45 watt garbage iron. ( I think its more like 20 Watt )
I just need to go to home depot and pick up something decent.
Also what mix soldering wire is best for job at hand ? -mix ratio-
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
This.....http://www.homedepot.com/buy/weller-...it-sp40lk.html
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:24 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
Quote:
Yes I love me some flybar helis..lol..To date everything i have owned is flybar. Not saying fbl is bad what so ever. Obviously I'm the odd one out when it comes to fb vs. fbl. I think that over the past few years it's what i have been so accustomed to flying it just feels better, More locked in for "me". I have tried a friends fbl 500 twice and it just felt mushy around center stick.
Maybe he had it set up wrong..I have no idea. fbl does look a whole hell of alot better. But yes I have been looking for an "align" 450 pro fb head and there becoming very difficult to find. Every now and then i will find one on E-bay only to be beat out by the damn snipers.
His was set up wrong lol! Don't get me wrong I have always thought fbl is cheating in a way and it is. A proper fbl controller will hold hands off, but any thought one way or the other will quickly change. The beastx lets you change that setting. You can set it to not move or be mushy at mid stick "normal mode" or move faster than you can think in "expert mode" I like expert mode because I feel locked in, like it is following my thoughts. In that mode it is much more responsive than any FB head.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:26 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,150 Posts
Quote:
Hey what wattage or even brand name are you guys using for your soldering Iron ?? Today i was going to Fix a couple what i think are horrible looking battery plug jobs, only to get pissed off at my Chinese 45 watt garbage iron. ( I think its more like 20 Watt )
I just need to go to home depot and pick up something decent.
Also what mix soldering wire is best for job at hand ? -mix ratio-
Butane! I use gas there is no quicker heat or better wattage. must be why I insist on a gas range lol!
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread