HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
What tx do you have now? I was thinking at some point doing my dx7s, it's stupid it does come backlit... like 1950's technology is really that expensive.
It is still the dx6i... Just added the backlight Check it out:

mrmj2u is online now Find More Posts by mrmj2u
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:00 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Nice. Was it easy to do?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Nice. Was it easy to do?
It was very easy, only took me about 20 minutes. There are two wires to solder and the contact points are pretty large.

The kit comes with very detailed instructions, so it was a breeze.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Why is it $60? Do you have a link where you got yours? Is it a new display?

Soldering is no problem.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
258 Posts
Quote:

Soldering is no problem.
So, this is the one I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221024232810...84.m1497.l2649

It does not include a new screen, only the backlight, a voltage regulator and an inverter? I can't remember the third piece. The guy makes the kits himself when they are ordered (supposedly). I can't tell you why the kit is $60... But I decided that since I don't fly nitro, there would be no need for me to have more than 6 channels, so the choice was to spend over $200 to trade my dx6i for a dx8+ time to reprogram all my models or $60 to add a backlight... lol
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Yeah for real.

I'll check it out. I'm more drawn to the orange light kits for some reason.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
I wish they showed the components.

BTW I would've bought a dx6i instead of the dx7s but the 7 offers stick mode3. So without mod'ing the dx6i, i was stuck. Though I have a dx5e to try and mod to mode 3.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
I wish they showed the components.

BTW I would've bought a dx6i instead of the dx7s but the 7 offers stick mode3. So without mod'ing the dx6i, i was stuck. Though I have a dx5e to try and mod to mode 3.
Ah got it. I use mode 2.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:49 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
So I'm super late lol... I'm still working on my 500e. My cyclic servos should arrive today, so I can finally finish it! Everything else is in and ready to rock!

My 550 and 600 are both ready to go also. I have two batteries for all my helis except for the 550... that single 6S battery costs more than 4 6S batteries for the 500e... sad lol

I started to purchase a dx8, but then after asking myself why I wanted it, I realized that I just wanted a backlight... So instead, I spent $59 on the backlight mod and installed it myself... Also added some thumb gimbals to it, and a balancer for the neck strap... I'm happy again
Kool Kool on instaling a backlight.. I notice you have the wider thumbpads on your TX sticks..How do you like them ?..A bought a pair last month. And did not like them at all. ( yet another waste of 9 bucks for me...ha) I just felt alot more precise with the slender sticks.
Also what servos are you going for on your 500e ? If going with the align ds525m...be sure and keep a very close eye on them..Dave and i have both had problems with these new align servos..Even the ds415m was a creeper.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Kool Kool on instaling a backlight.. I notice you have the wider thumbpads on your TX sticks..How do you like them ?..A bought a pair last month. And did not like them at all. ( yet another waste of 9 bucks for me...ha) I just felt alot more precise with the slender sticks.
Also what servos are you going for on your 500e ? If going with the align ds525m...be sure and keep a very close eye on them..Dave and i have both had problems with these new align servos..Even the ds415m was a creeper.
Well, so far i've only used the new sticks for the sim. I like them, they remind me of the sticks from my xbox lol...

I went for the HS-225BB for the cyclic. They are plenty fast and perfect for a flybar model.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Quote:

Soldering is no problem.
Speaking of soldering...By far my least fav. thing to do in the hobby..Have yet to make any bad connections..However i have had some " knotty " work take place in the past..lol

Anyways..was watching one of crmodels videos And knew i was without the proper tools and picked this up..Should be a huge help..$10 from china. ( iron not included )

A link if anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281043811694
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of soldering...By far my least fav. thing to do in the hobby..Have yet to make any bad connections..However i have had some " knotty " work take place in the past..lol

Anyways..was watching one of crmodels videos And knew i was without the proper tools and picked this up..Should be a huge help..$10 from china. ( iron not included )

A link if anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281043811694

Ah yes, The helping hands! I was so excited when I finally found one for myself!

I was just thinking about how soldering has been a part of my life since I was very young. My father used to solder things all the time and so he taught me how to solder back when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Even so, I am JUST getting the patience to allow the part to heat up the solder... Sometimes I just want to get the part done! lol

I love soldering things though, it helps me to relax...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:38 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
GReat to hear you did not go with the DS525M.. upcoming reviews on those will be interesting... Well your just a soldering mad man. Sad but true i would not have even attempted to solder in a backlight in a tx..Knowing full well i would have trashed my radio prolly..ha
But yes i hope these " helping hands" clean up some of my work. At times im ashamed out -n- about with the fellas at the airpark. So now im just waiting on some new plugs so i can re-work a couple batteries.
I dont hear you talk much on your 550..How is she flying ??
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
GReat to hear you did not go with the DS525M.. upcoming reviews on those will be interesting... Well your just a soldering mad man. Sad but true i would not have even attempted to solder in a backlight in a tx..Knowing full well i would have trashed my radio prolly..ha
But yes i hope these " helping hands" clean up some of my work. At times im ashamed out -n- about with the fellas at the airpark. So now im just waiting on some new plugs so i can re-work a couple batteries.
I dont hear you talk much on your 550..How is she flying ??
I still haven't flown it... It is ready to go. I replaced the rudder servo, but its been sub 30s and rainy since then... So I haven't taken it outside... I so wish we had Arizona weather

I wanted to go with the ds510, but no one was selling them and I wasn't going to spend $150 for them... So these 255bb's have the same specs but aren't digital and all three cost the same as one ds510... I'll just try these out got two sets of extra gears also.
Last edited by mrmj2u; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Devjavu, I'm going to buy one of those helping hands, ha I was just looking for one too. Is the quality alright?

Also, what servos come stock on the 500e super combo?
Closed Thread