SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:25 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu*xion View Post
oh crap...mrmj2u is j.w....best i edit this post.
lol!!!!!!
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:32 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
I enjoy philosophy, and I don't mind hearing other people's perspective. When I was younger I believed Catholic was the way to be because of being raised that way.

It's funny though, I can say that I feel just as close to a supreme being now than I did then, when I had faith... I'm just less superstitious now. IMO faith is like a pill, your made to swallow it and feel better. We're created ill and demanded to become well and perfect, for risk of torment... all for things we are innocent over.
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
My avatar says it all. Bad human.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:38 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
My avatar says it all. Bad human.
lol... I'll tell you what... Sometimes you have to take a break from it all and recenter yourself so that you can feel at peace. Allow yourself time to meditate on spiritual things without someone being in your ear and then you start to see things clearly. Once you get into the bible and read more and more, you really start to have clarity... I have an almost insatiable appetite for knowledge, both spiritual and secular and its that appetite for knowledge that keeps me learning about different belief systems and other things...
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
lol... I'll tell you what... Sometimes you have to take a break from it all and recenter yourself so that you can feel at peace. Allow yourself time to meditate on spiritual things without someone being in your ear and then you start to see things clearly. Once you get into the bible and read more and more, you really start to have clarity... I have an almost insatiable appetite for knowledge, both spiritual and secular and its that appetite for knowledge that keeps me learning about different belief systems and other things...
By all means do what works for you. I mean no offense... As well, I mean no direct disrepect. What sounds like blasphemy to one person is ok to the next (ie. Jesus saying "Father why have you forsaken me?" sounds to me like he had a little doubt, or ie. even our modern theocratic society's disregard for ancient or even modern 'false' gods).

But I don't see how faith can lead the way... It's a moving goalpost. My faith brought me to where I'm at today... And so did Manson's followers, and everyone else crazy or not, Buddhist, Muslim, "spaghetti monster faith" or whatever.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:07 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,640 Posts
Hey guys I am a Roman Catholic and don't go to church even though I went to all Catholic schools. The reason why is they did to good of a job lol! Stigmata is a great movie that shows just that. In it they show that a place of worship is just that, but God is everywhere not just at a building.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
So do you agree that also his message is also everywhere for man to subjectively decipher? And that maybe a baseline morality exists without the bible or any human 'prophets'? I personally base this morality we have on empathy and reciprocity, in religion it came from god's teachings through other humans as (if I wasn't good enough to rx it first person). A lot of crazy people hear god, and other phantoms or illusions as well.

It's like god giving Moses the commandments as a guideline of morality, but do you really think any civilization throughout history looked at the opposition as the better idea. Meaning it's a great idea to kill each other, covet your neighbor's wife, etc?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:21 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
My thoughts: And i"ll do my best to as not to offend..I was raised Church of Christ. No not the Mormon later day saints type..Just good ol' Bible belt church of Christ. ( much like baptist ) ...My thoughts on Catholic = Alot of preaching on if your not straight A in life your damned to everlasting hell.
Have you guys been watching the science channel as of past few months ? A whole lot of Universe, Space, planets, And how it all came to be. Makes me doubt my religion in a few ways. Example: I no longer believe the whole Noah's ark story and the entire earth was under water. As well as a few other story's science has proved wrong. Its very easy for me to see the side of evolution compared to that of creation lately. But then again to not believe in god according to my religion is to rott in hell. Not something i want to gamble with at this time. So I'll just keep believing what i was taught. ( still have my doubts and questions however )

Its amazing how far science has come in just the past ten years And what we now know about the universe. Big-bang, possible life on other planets. ect.. Do i believe in other life forms outside of earth ?? ..Yeah i kinda do, The universe is just wayyyyyyyyyyy to big to not have another earth like planet in the goldie locks zone of its star/sun.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
Pope John Paul II said evolution is not just a theory anymore... this is only for Catholics in a sense, but why do so many Catholics still doubt evolution... at least as the mechanism god could've used...

Main religious leaders are asking questions nowdays... which is at least a step out of the dark ages.

Dejavu, get as much science in you as possible... education is the key to understanding. In the long run if god exists, science will oneday bring you closer to him... They are his laws and calculations, or just a really beatiful symphony of life, emotions, math, and a part of nature way bigger than any of us. I'm not one bit shy or embarrassed to use the word beatiful talking about such things, label me as you will.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
dejavu: "Not something i want to gamble with at this time."

You are already doubting thousands of gods that came before (or after), you pagan you.

You might as well fear the spaghetti monster that lives at the bottom of the sea.. for fear he'll eat your children or some crap...

Not trying to offend, just saying... And we're all humans stuck here together.

BTW I've been meaning to ask but forget, what's the *xion in your name? I saw that from someone else here too.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:49 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,640 Posts
Wow deja you got all your info from your church didn't you? I had the same talk with a girlfriend long ago. It seems most other religions tell myths about Catholics. So I am not surprised at all. She was Baptist and said that we worship all the other saints. I said that going by what she said that she worshiped a fish! Like I said they taught me too much lol! Her whole point was that we prayed to other people. Well most of our books record that most of the saints are up there and with all God has on his plate would it not help to pray to some one close to God?

On the other hand most Catholics are taught the history of all other religions. Real history not what the daisies wants people to think. I have tested my learning with Jehovah witness and baptist and they all said I was right.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:54 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Pope John Paul II said evolution is not just a theory anymore... this is only for Catholics in a sense, but why do so many Catholics still doubt evolution... at least as the mechanism god could've used...

Main religious leaders are asking questions nowdays... which is at least a step out of the dark ages.

Dejavu, get as much science in you as possible... education is the key to understanding. In the long run if god exists, science will oneday bring you closer to him... They are his laws and calculations, or just a really beautiful symphony of life, emotions, math, and a part of nature way bigger than any of us. I'm not one bit shy or embarrassed to use the word beautiful talking about such things, label me as you will.
Very good post Fin..I had no idea that John Paul II And other religious leaders are now open to the idea of evolution. I do believe in a supreme being, Humans are just way to advanced in thought process as well as emotions compared to that of animals for there not to be a god. But all this new proven information on how man came to be as well as our planets has really given me food for thought.
think about it- Christianity has only been around for 2,000 years. compare that to the 5 billion years our planet has been here and gone thru its changes. So who is to say the story's that man wrote 2,000 years ago should hold water, When some dude named Joe smith just started the whole Mormon religion just 200 years ago. Ther was a time just 250 years ago when people actually believed that if they heard a noise outside in the dark it was either a witch or a demon at play, And their next door neighbor was hung as a witch after a fast and speedy trial.. -Bizar thinking-
My point: With time seems to come a greater knowledge of all things.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
mshills, really, with all that god has on his plate?

Time doesn't exist to him (or it's all one thing), he's omniscient and omnipotent (like google )... Unless he's a falible being similar to us and we're his invention (like The Sims), I don't imagine he would get busy or stressed.

It seems people believe what they want anyway. Faith is a cult though...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:08 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Fin: I'm on my 3rd name change here in rcgroups. ( courtesy of Jim G. ) I guess i bore easy of avatar names..ha...I was basically watching the matrix movie and they used the word Xion a few time's. Thought it was cool at the time..lol Of course you know what a dejavu is, So the whole name just made no sense what so ever, So i thought it was the hippy thing to do.

Mhills..I know what you mean about ppl giving bad info on their religions..I say I'm church of Christ and ppl's first thought is that I'm mormon..NOT.. I do believe in one god we all share. Now if we can just somehow mix this whole evolution thing and god all into one equation it would all work out well for me and make sense. As of lately I'm one confused dude with some deep questions that i think time will only answer.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Very good post Fin..I had no idea that John Paul II And other religious leaders are now open to the idea of evolution. I do believe in a supreme being, Humans are just way to advanced in thought process as well as emotions compared to that of animals for there not to be a god. But all this new proven information on how man came to be as well as our planets has really given me food for thought.
think about it- Christianity has only been around for 2,000 years. compare that to the 5 billion years our planet has been here and gone thru its changes. So who is to say the story's that man wrote 2,000 years ago should hold water, When some dude named Joe smith just started the whole Mormon religion just 200 years ago. Ther was a time just 250 years ago when people actually believed that if they heard a noise outside in the dark it was either a witch or a demon at play, And their next door neighbor was hung as a witch after a fast and speedy trial.. -Bizar thinking-
My point: With time seems to come a greater knowledge of all things.
Some animals have complex emotions too, like loyally and love. There's no argument, we ARE the most intellectually evolved species on the planet, but we got that way through time. And some of our civilized ways are just a mirage anyhow, for esthetics only... us thinking we're advancing, like a somewhat invisible inflation rising along with salaries... like hunting wolves with a knife stuck into the ground handle first with blood all over the blade, the wolf smells the blood and tries to lick the blade, he tastes blood so he keeps going until he bleeds out and dies (Dead Prez ).

Before modern timesIllnesses, natural disasters, and bad happenings in general were perceive by people at the time to come from some unknown source which we constantly assumed was god or his vengeance. Superstitions.
Closed Thread