Closed Thread
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:21 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
Discussion
Pin Drop ..

I have never seen the "large heli " section so quiet for so long. Whats up ppl ? Nobody building this winter ? Everyone has all the answers to fixes now days ?? lol

I just finished an Align 550 v2 build. ( yes you know me. My heart still belongs to Flybar models ) Easy build, Flys great, less filling. But need more battery's. Just have but one for now. The other got Beat up in my X-mas day 600 dirt nap .. I plan on building a couple planks for some relaxing flying this spring. Other then that, Thats my story and im sticking to it.

Mhills.
Evltoy.
chopper62
Finguz
Ghostflyer.

mrmj2u
Whats up with you guys ? watcha working on ?
Or anybody else for that matter. chime in
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Mar 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Maybe they're all indoors flying micros with the freezing cold weather.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:55 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
^^^ Pay no attention to this long time troll/shill acct. Mike dbarhsi - crvnation- Skidder87 - GoNavy93, sertav - Mhunter - hellybelly - Tina turner - Sviking - kokopelli. And now his latest name jsevarro
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Mar 13, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:16 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
^^^ Pay no attention to my long time stalker Mike dbarhsi ^^^ Skidder87 - sertav- Mhunter- hellybelly- Tina turner - Sviking ect..
Dude, I've heard of that guy, steer clear of him.

Aside from that,
Dejavu, how much all together was your 550? I really want to look into getting a 500-550 sized heli eventually, and don't mind a flybar either.

What sized batteries do you run? I was amazed at how much bigger of batteries even the 500 uses compared to something like my 450.

Do you think general repair/maintenance costs are close on the 450-550 helis?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:46 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Dude, I've heard of that guy, steer clear of him.

Aside from that,
Dejavu, how much all together was your 550? I really want to look into getting a 500-550 sized heli eventually, and don't mind a flybar either.

What sized batteries do you run? I was amazed at how much bigger of batteries even the 500 uses compared to something like my 450.

Do you think general repair/maintenance costs are close on the 450-550 helis?
This is the kit i bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIGN-T-REX-...item1c2b4b0124

The price is very fair. As you know fb are fast becoming a thing of the past. And wont hold squat if it ever comes time to re-sell. but a fbl model is only like $75 more. Most dont like the align 3gx fbl controller, So take that into consideration. Also know the bigger the heli the more stable they are. Very easy to Cruz around with. They dont get squirrelly like a 250 or 450.
Repair cost unfortunately is a big gap..Typical 450 crash cost $30...a 550 would be around $150..So no dumb thumbing allowed..lol Batteries i run are 6s 5000mah 40c cost about $90- on up. The beauty of a 550 is that they can be wired up the same as a 450 ( larger electronics of course ) or add a Bec if you choose.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,365 Posts
Wow. It's a big jump in $$ from 450 to 500 to 550.

I don't mind the flybar models, but for the reasons you mentioned I wouldn't mind buying FBL from now on either. It's crazy everything is going FBL, at some point if parts start to break on my helis I will be forced to switch over to FBL.

That's a really nice 550, did you take pictures of the build?

Sorry to hijack the thread for my own curiosities.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:

I don't mind the flybar models, but for the reasons you mentioned I wouldn't mind buying FBL from now on either. It's crazy everything is going FBL, at some point if parts start to break on my helis I will be forced to switch over to FBL.
FBL is great. It's infinitely tunable and the head is more efficient in flight without the extra weight/aerodynamic drag of the flybar, which is significant. Far fewer parts on the head, too. Easier to build and extremely fast setup after a crash, especially if you measured and wrote down the lengths of your servo and head links beforehand. A DFC FBL head has two pitch links from the swashplate to the grips and that's it. Even with washout arms to drive the swashplate, it's still only two pitch links.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:10 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
Quote:

That's a really nice 550, did you take pictures of the build?

Sorry to hijack the thread for my own curiosities.
Rcgroups user "freechip" has always had a problem with this shill acct. guy trashing his threads. It's what he does. Its to bad we cant delete unwanted replys from trolls/Shill accts. Notice his join date and all the info he puts out in postings ..Lol
Anywayssssssss... I dont really take pics of my builds. ( I have one in my profile page. ha ) Once i start its hard for me to stop until build is complete. Usually about 6 hours. Out of all i would say the 500's are my favorite to build and fly. Perfect size in that not to big not to small. And still only relatively a few more dollars to repair then a 450. One of the best 500's i have had to date is the align 500e. A very basic set up w/ c.f and a plastic mix in some areas to keep cost down, but flys awsome. ...Give this one some thought.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIGN-T-REX-...item1c2e871b8a Mhills has one also in his scale airwolf fuse And know he loves his just as much .

P.s your not hijacking the thread at all..Its a pretty much " whats up thread " ..I cant believe how slow the large heli section is lately. Even runryder is at a snails pace. ...So how far along are you with your flying..Doing loops, rolls, inverts yet ??
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,365 Posts
Yeah, that 500 looks real nice, but I think my next heli I'm going over to FBL. If sooner I might do a 250, if later I'll probably go with a 500. I've heard bad things about 3gx also so I'll have to find something else... being my first fbl, aside from a mcpx.

My tricks are nonexistent still except on the sim.

On the sim I'm practicing inverted now, and totally suck at tail in but I'm progressing slowly. I already have a more comfortable feeling with flying in general now that I have some inverted reflexes. I can save the sim heli much more often on close calls, trying other crazy tricks and ending up inverted or sideways. I can also do half-piroflips now, which not long ago I actually comprehended what they actually were . I also practice loops, rolls, flips, tictocs, try to funnels, rainbows, circles, figure8s, and some transitions, in all different orientations. Funny enough, I still kinda lack on my upright left turn I've found.

I need more room to fly is my problem, so that I can eventually get as comfortable in real life as the sim. I have my first foamie plank, and I would like to buy a Parkzone Ultra Micro Stryker 180, but nowhere to fly them. I might have to join a club with a field... but that's like $150-200 after AMA and club fees and everything, and the closest club is kind of far away. I wish I lived on a farm.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:03 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
I hear strykers are a blast to fly. And can actually take some abuse. I have a local friend here who flys one. ( have yet to get with him when he takes it out ) but that thing is beat to all hell and still fly's great he says. lol
As far as heli tricks...if you can Sim it. you can do it in the field just as easy. Why I'm not sure but i waited like a year and a half before i ever did my first loop. Then when i finally did one i was kicking myself for not doing them sooner. Get some good height Just pull back on the stick and watch it circle and ease back level. Bada-boom-bada-bing.. Of course you know this...So Do It !!
what really prompted me was watching one of Evltoys vid's And knew i was far behind in keeping up. lol
I'm now working on tic-tocs with the 500. I still keep porpoising up, but slowly getting them cleaner. So no large open fields around where you live ? I often just go to a soccer or football field when no people are around.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
I hear strykers are a blast to fly.
I have the UMX F-27Q Stryker 180 and that thing is awesome. It looks like it's going a million MPH and the motor sound really winds up on a fast diving, low pass. Great unique looking little airplane.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:31 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
I have the UMX F-27Q Stryker 180 and that thing is awesome. It looks like it's going a million MPH and the motor sound really winds up on a fast diving, low pass. Great unique looking little airplane.
Rumor has it you sold your old dx7...Should have kept that reliable DX7 as a backup/sim radio. That's what I did. Since everything is already programmed in it, flying one of my models with it is only a re-bind away.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Rumor has it you sold your old dx7...Should have kept that reliable DX7 as a backup/sim radio. That's what I did. Since everything is already programmed in it, flying one of my models with it is only a re-bind away.
Nope, the rumor is just that...rumor... My old DX7 is just fine snuggled up in its original box and only comes out for the occasional sim play time these days. But, it's still standing by for faithful actual flight duty if I ever need it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:22 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
Nope, the rumor is just that...rumor... My old DX7 is just fine snuggled up in its original box and only comes out for the occasional sim play time these days. But, it's still standing by for faithful actual flight duty if I ever need it.
"Flight duty" you say ..Reminds me of me in squadron Maintenance writing up gripes/MAFs in NALCOMIS after an 0500 brief for a helo (Seahawk) I or my crew downed on pre-flight or start-up. Heck, some of them were even TAIL issues...but I wasn't the mechanic(s). Grouchy? Hell yeah...but I was also the squadron Maintenance Officer...But that was then and this is now . Very rare i bring such a thing up. You wont hear me mention another word of it. Scouts honor even !!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:29 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,788 Posts
I thought you were talking about my 600 post lol! With my person of interest lol!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread