Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:55 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
craig_c,

Any word?

Pete

Offical Poll is up! Please go vote here!
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Last edited by blutoh; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:35 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Hooray!

My slice 'o pi came in today!
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:38 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
YAY for Pi!!

Im still waiting for my orders of my cables and breadboard and what not to arrive. Buying on Amazon was alot cheaper than my local Radio Shack but it sure is taking a while.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:50 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
part of my order came in today. I now have the M/F cables to connect my GPIO to a breadboard for some playing around... Too bad my old breadboard is so corroded inside that it does not work all that well. In the next few days I should have the rest of my order and it will have a new breadboard, Some more cables, LEDs, Arduino Uno and an off brand Mega with LCD touch screen and SD card shield.

My programing class is going well I should soon have enough python knowlege to start writing for my boards.

Massey
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:37 AM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Sounds good Massey. I ordered in and randomly ought several bread boards when I was hard core into my arduino mussing around. When one of my Arduino boards I got off of Amazon turned out to be a knock off forgery and crapped itself... will I fried the USB chip on it. I was able to the use a new, GOOD board to turn the old board into a programer. but, it required a good board to do so..
I left that bread board as is so I can plug a good one to it for that purpose..

As for my new Pi... some fun complications.. my SD card reader up here is bunk, so I've found myself all afternoon running up and down the stairs to use the SD card port on the printer, hooked up to the "kiosk" computer downstairs to install OS's on the card I got for the Pi.

wheezy worked just fine. BUT.. I discoverd that I had given my last good USB keyboard to my brother.. so... it's niegh unusable until I can get a new one.. I have a spare USB mouse however...

so....

I put XBMC on the thing!

XBMC being of course, the primary front end I use on my big fancy media server tower

Holy snikey! this thing works great!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:57 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Hi bgnome,

Just run it headless and access it thru you network, you wont need keyboard, mouse or monitor. You connect remotely from one of you other computers and use it's keyboard, mouse and monitor. This way when you stick RPi in a boat it won't be running the GUI and all the other stuff that is system overhead. Look here and here for stetp by step instructions if you want to do this. If you need more info just let know. It works great.

I have been experimenting with boat sound effects on the RPi and will put together a post with all the info and a sample program I wrote when I am done. I am using an open source mixing library that allows you to mix sounds and produce them simultaneously (polyphonic). It comes standard on the raspian weezy distribution, so no extra softwarer needed. Hope we get the forum soon.

Pete

Last edited by blutoh; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
oh yeah, I intend to do all that, even looked a little into it last night when I was messing around with all the stuff.. XMBC didn't need a keyboard for general mussing about. and gave me a good idea of what the thing was capable graphicly and net wise.

it pulled all my movies off the shared media drive in the media center computer just fine and played them skip and artifact free even while we were streaming Red Dwarf over netflix.

now that the tax checks are starting to slide in, I may pick up another one just to use as a media server like that.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:20 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Any word?
Pete, et al,

Greeting fellow cybernauts -

I have received neither word nor revelation from ye POWES-THAT-BE. The great, swag-bellied Idol of the System Gods has neither stirred nor spoken nor has ye earth shaken since our Supplication was rendered unto Them with due respect and sacerdotal rite a full 10 day ago.

Thus do we wait for the curtains to part; the trumpet blares amid the eunuch howls....

craig_c

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 05, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:29 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Should we all start sending messages?

Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:48 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
Got some more stuff today. I got an Arduino starter kit with some cables, Uno and a breadboard, a book on getting started with Arduino and sketches, and last but not least I got a 2x20 LCD with buttons. Time to tinker and learn this stuff. I am still waiting for my Sainsmart Mega2560 (Arduino clone) with 3.5" touch screen and SDcard holder.

Projects I have in no particular order on my mind are:

Multiplexer for my Futaba 7CAP
Nixie clock (with authentic nixie tubes)
Ice Tube Clock or other type of VFD clock
GPS stationkeeping/maping and auto pilot for my Aurora research vessel
Flight computer for a sub orbital balloon that relays GPS coordinates and also assists in the control of the recovery system.
OBDII interface to show stats the gauges in my car dont show like A/F ratio and timing... etc
Autonominous robot that can map a room so it will not hit any walls.

Pi or Arduino to control any of these projects is all good for me.

Massey
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:09 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Should we all start sending messages?
Mayhap the time has come as Sirocco and Shamal winds do gather and shift, moaning amongst the assembled impatient multitudes who doth conspire to raise their voices alike in humble supplication and praiseful exhalation and hope to be carried as dust motes in the Taku Winds to beat upon delicate ears of The Gods of the Systems.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 05, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,428 Posts
I think I am at a point that I almost understand loops...
An SOS blinker and Stop Light exercise kind of work that into your head...

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:18 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Hi Umi,

Are you writing in Python (R Pi) or Wiring (Arduino)? I have some Python code I was going to post when we have our forum. It has a main loop and breaks, if you want to look at it I can post it now, just let me know. It's heavily commented so it's easy to read, I wrote it to test the sound mixing library I am using for the sound effects system.

Craig,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the pm campaign to the admins, just say the word. I have been holding off in concern of it backfiring rather than helping, but at this point maybe it's what we need. I am sure some of the other contributors to this thread would do the same

Pete

Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:30 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
Im doing an assignment right now that has loops, breaks, finding the largest and smallest number and printing it at the end. I must use a Try/Except in the code and when someone enters "done" as the value the program quits. It is driving me up the wall but I am making progress

Massey
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:03 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,428 Posts
Maybe we just start sharing in the New Forum Request thread...

I am working with an ARDUINO UNO.
I looked for the "for dummies" book, but it isn't out till the end of the month.
So I grabbed a "Beginning Arduino" book by McRoberts.
There are some nice tutorials on YouTube, but they don't allow me to cross referance things, so
the book has helped to sort things out a bit more.

Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:29 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the pm campaign to the admins, just say the word. I have been holding off in concern of it backfiring rather than helping, but at this point maybe it's what we need. I am sure some of the other contributors to this thread would do the same
Cry havoc!

I sent the signatory list in 10 days ago and now we are headed for a fortnight! Starting to wonder what the PTB think of as a 'reasonable' amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Maybe we just start sharing in the New Forum Request thread...
Sounds good t/me.

Quote:
I am working with an ARDUINO UNO.
I looked for the "for dummies" book, but it isn't out till the end of the month.
So I grabbed a "Beginning Arduino" book by McRoberts.
There are some nice tutorials on YouTube, but they don't allow me to cross referance things, so
the book has helped to sort things out a bit more.
Hardcopy works... lector regula
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:54 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Come on!! Two more and we gotz 100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:01 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Umi: Have you looked at the "Adafruit" website? They're not the only one, by the way. Click on their Tutorials, IMHO they are great for us who do not know this stuff. Each one had a downloadable PDF as well as sample code.

I started with the one I've shown here (The Tips, Tricks & Techniques) and read all of the hardware stuff on the first page, the good stuff is on the Next Page. There they start talking about the software. Skip the 3rd page IMHO (it talks about the Bootloader - and I agree with them 99% of us will NEVER touch that). I skipped lightly over the 4th & 5th pages also (they talk about upgrading your Arduino - which we won't have to do since we've all got the latest version out). At this point I went back to the Learn Arduino page, scrolled down to the bottom and on the left there is an image of the Arduino Lesson 1 - Blink. That starts off 16 lessons that take you from an electrical dolt like me to doing some fairly neat programming.

craig_c: What is the recommended waiting period for Requesting a New Forum? Have we passed that? If not, perhaps we should wait out the period so that no one has any reason to deny us. Otherwise, I'm all in for a shout out. Just tell us who to shout to and how.

Cheers, Barry
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:37 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
467 Posts
Umi, that's the book I have. Its all you need

On another note, in starting to add code for a rudimentary interface using the keypad on the LCD shield, so sensors can be calibrated and what not, it is challenging me far more. Also writing data logging to SD card, that's not so bad
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:00 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,224 Posts
Quote:
That's still too advanced for me. I'm holding out for the book "Arduino For Amoebas."

Seriously, I hope the new forum will have a beginers thread.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:13 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
I just PM'ed the admins inquiring about our forum request. It's been two weeks, we should have had some kind of response by now.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:33 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
THE POLL IS UP!!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826190

Please go vote ASAP! The poll closes Feb. 16th @ 3:00 PM.

Pete
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:23 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
as of typing this, 14 yays, zero nays

I can't imagine anyone voting against unless they fear further fracturing of the format.

all looks good and well

everyone who went through the forum proposal should now go to the formal poll.and vote.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:15 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
29 yay and 1 no...

Who votes no?

looks like it is moving along again.

Massey
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:33 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Blutoh's msg gets the poll up - Go Vote!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBoats View Post
craig_c: What is the recommended waiting period for Requesting a New Forum? Have we passed that? If not, perhaps we should wait out the period so that no one has any reason to deny us. Otherwise, I'm all in for a shout out. Just tell us who to shout to and how.
Wootie woot woot!!

If I recall correctly, the poll itself needs 100 votes minimum and an approval plurality of 75% within a 10 day period for the creation of a new forum to go forward!

In other words, email yer buddies again with the link and lets get this puppy goin'!

Also posted the following...
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
One very minor detail.... The general consensus amongst the posters in the seminal thread requesting this forum appears to be we drop "Aquanet" from the name. " "Homebrew" Hardware & Software Systems for Watercraft"

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 06, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:16 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
somebody voted Nay?!

we need to hunt this person down and... I dunno, point at them with scathing derisiveness
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Adafruit is a great site!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:33 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
I LOVE these guys!!

"Raspberry Pi Announces $25 Camera Module"

Tag: camera-board

ps as of a bit after midnight... 52 to 1 - a ways to go yet, so encourage your friends to vote for the new forum!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:43 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Actually guys, I have been thinking again.... I know run for the bunker -

Name for the Forum - Homebrew Hacks for Watercraft

Simple, elegent, covers both hardware and software and what we will be doing is in the classic tradition of the computer hacks (the true definition of the word, not the Hollywood/media misinterpretation) and hobbyists of old and, as I have said elsewhere, follows the ethos of the old Stanford Homebrew Club that gave us the computer revolution, being as inclusive possible, using open source / open architectures and sharing as much as possible and focused on solutions for model boats of any type.

What'cha think???

My single concern is the word "hack" might make the SysOps nervous.

ps. 75 YEAs in less than 18 hours!!! Woot! and 2 very negative no people. Come on guys, lets see if we can get at least 100 Yeas in 24 hours and nail this to the wall!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:02 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Quote:
............. Homebrew Hacks for Watercraft...........
Succint, direct and to the point. I like it! As far as the word "hack", well, I've lived in the software development world for 38 years, and up until about 12 years ago a hacker was a good thing. It only developed a bad conotation when the uninformed media morons started using it to describe the unethical fools who have become the hemmorhoid of the digital domain. That's why today we have ethical hacking certifications and ethical hacking societies. There is a movement afoot in the digital world to reclaim the words "hack" and "hacker" as terms equated to good and contributory efforts, rather than pejorative. You will see it used that way on popular sites like Make and Instructables. So lets keep the word "hack" in there if we can.

Pete

Latest count: + 77 / - 2
Last edited by blutoh; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
467 Posts
Good pdf document on Dynamic Positioning theory and principles.....

http://www.dynamic-positioning.com/dp1998/bholvik.pdf
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:09 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Succint, direct and to the point. I like it! As far as the word "hack", well, I've lived in the software development world for 38 years, and up until about 12 years ago a hacker was a good thing. It only developed a bad conotation when the uninformed media morons started using to describe the unethical fools who have become the hemmorhoid of the digital domain. That's why today we have ethical hacking certifications and ethical hacking societies. There is a movement afoot in the digital world to reclaim the words "hack" and "hacker" as terms equated to good and contributory efforts, rather than pejorative. You will see it used that way on popular sites like Make and Instructables. So lets keep the word "hack" in there if we can.
I am For it! Hack was never a bad word to me, but then I did my first software input on a Hollerith (keypunch) machine and I remember rooms of keypunch operators in my parents building.

If we can get it past the SysOps, I want to go with HACK as well!

Let's get over 100 Yeas before noon today!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:41 AM
HK-450/Polaris/Springer...1car
Nederland, ZH, Dordrecht
Joined Jan 2012
60 Posts
Voted!!!

as of now 88 votes YES 97.78%
2 Votes No 2.2 %

Lets go!!!!
john fomie is offline Find More Posts by john fomie
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
A hacker is OK. A cracker is not.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:10 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Deckie,
Good find!

Andy,
Guess crack/cracker is bad in any context now. I remember when it just refered to a plumbing observation

Pete
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:34 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
It depends on the context, I suppose. If you're talking about a white powder, it depends on which side of the law you live on. If you're talking about a bunch of white people, you might be a racist. If you're talking about programmers (or wannabees) then cracker is again dependent on which side of the law you live on!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
I got my Pi to run totally headless finally. Amazing how unforgiving Linux is when you miss one little step. It will not tell you you missed anything it just goes about it's merry way. Anyway there were 2 steps that were almost identical and I missed the one. FIXED!

I have also finally got a chance to mess around with the Arduino I got a few days ago. Pretty simple platform and it looks like the conventions for programing it are pretty easy too. So far I have only done some simple programs but they were easy enough to modify and change beyond the scope of the lesson I was working on. I thought using an LCD display was going to be more complex than it is but I was able to get scrolling text, changing text and just plain non moving text.

My idea for a forum name is:

Open-Source electronics for Watercraft.

what ya all think of this?

Massey
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:14 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
89 votes when I checked in. saw that I had an IM when I opened up my E-mail saw the word "homebrew" and was wondering if Craig had taken up another hobby and was asking for recipes!

hacker/homebrew ethos, yep.. I'ma young'n... my first computer was a commodore Vic20, then a 64/128. My first modem was handmade from plans with parts stolen from a clock radio, a old lawn mower and a Ronco smokeless ashtray.

no, not really. but my brother and I did put one together and implement it.

Out of high school, i went into apprenticeship at my fathers engineering/mechanical firm with the controls department. and by 19years old I was building high voltage control cabinets, plotting out the physical control system, hydrolic.pneumatic, digital and analogue feedback, PID controllers, giant VFD motor controllers and the like, and programing the PLC's that made it all work.

the electrical shop split from my fathers firm, I went with them, the Boss went insane and the job folded underneath me.

The day I helped the man lay everyone off, including myself, I went up to the pub, to console myself and got into a conversation with the head brewer at the time and the owner of the brewery and pub. They just got in a automated bottling line and it wasn't on line yet, and considering I had just spent the better part of the previous ten years BUILDING bottlin lines and other industrial equipment, And my hobby at the time was making beer at home, I said " hell.. I can do that!" was hired on the spot and changed career paths in less than 24 hours!

been here ever since... almost 15 years now..

so now, I futz around with automation as a hobby.

strange where our life's journeys can take us huh?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:55 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
6:37 PM We are at 98 now: +95 / -3

Please go vote here!
Last edited by blutoh; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:54 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
And AWAY WE GO!!!! (Hopefully)

Posted in Site Suggestions / Complaints
Quote:
Good evening Jim & fellow R/Cers....

If I remember correctly from a number of previous forum requests and forum polls, a proposed forum can be 'green lighted' if the vote exceeds 100 votes cast and there is a 75 percent plurality in favor of the new forum.

The voter turnout for the "Homebrew" Hardware & Software Systems for Watercraft." forum has, in less than 30 hours after going live, exceeded 100 votes with a plurality of 96.08 percent (98 Yeas - 96.08% and 4 Nays 3.92%).

May the backers of the new forum therefore respectfully request that you and the other System Lords close the poll as we have met the 100 vote/75 plurality benchmark and initiate our new forum under Boats.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:02 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It depends on the context, I suppose.
As I remember, the term 'cracker' arose within the hacking community itself as a derisive term referring to those who only illicitly cracked systems and later software or wrote viri and didn't give back to the community by the creation of useful hacks or advancing 'the art.'

In other words, today's "black hats."
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:53 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Doin' the HAPPY DANCE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
Craig
Thanks for the update. I will work on this in the morning.
Not sure, but I think we may have JUST NAILED IT TO THE WALL WOOT!!

But keep registering your vote if you haven't yet - just in case, let's increase the spread! So far there have been five nabobs of nasty negativity. They are starting to come out of the woodwork - only your vote can send them scurrying away.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 07, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:00 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
9 inch video screens for dirt cheap!

BtW, thought this might be of interest - on eBay

Philips Portable DVD Dual Screen 9 inch ! PD9012/37 ! SLAVE SCREEN ONLY ! - $29.99 / Free shipping.

Philips Portable DVD Dual Screen 9 inch ! PD9012/37 ! MAIN Screen ONLY ! - $33.26 / Free shipping.

RCGruops thread on these units here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:17 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
We are almost home, good job one and all! If you haven't voted yet please do so.

Latest count: + 98 / - 5
Please go vote here!

Pete
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:59 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
Quote:
As I remember, the term 'cracker' arose within the hacking community itself as a derisive term referring to those who only illicitly cracked systems and later software or wrote viri and didn't give back to the community by the creation of useful hacks or advancing 'the art.'

In other words, today's "black hats."
"Cracker" is more derogatory, like "kiddie scripter." They do things solely for malicious intent.

Black hats are OK. They're often working for improved system security concerns, sometimes governmental and sometimes private.

When I was in college we didn't have the in-vogue terms we have today, but a friend and I were tasked (by the school, who had been contracted by DEC) with defeating the security of VMS 4, for which DEC was attempting to get an orange book rating at the time. We had full system privs within a day of starting and had created several accounts to sustain those privs after the first holes were plugged Plus we disabled our boss's account

When I left school, I went to work for a defense contractor, running VMS 4 with the improvements we, um, "necessitated."

There are other valid, moral, socially-benefitting activities of these guys, such as poking holes in the Great Chinese Firewall, and enabling information to flow through and behind curtains such as those surrounding Cuba and the Mid-East. Be careful how you think about these guys, some day they may be the ones we all turn to for helping relieve government oppression.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
467 Posts
Quote:
Be careful how you think about these guys, some day they may be the ones we all turn to for helping relieve government oppression.

Andy
Totally agree.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:15 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
I like the way you think, Andy.

And VAX/VMS, those were the good old days.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:15 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
Yeah, those "good old days" almost got me a felony indictment. NC had some pretty strict laws for messing with computers. It could have been pretty bad if my boss's boss hadn't come to my rescue (she didn't like him either).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:20 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
Quote:
I like the way you think, Andy.

And VAX/VMS, those were the good old days.
I still use VMS where I work today

Massey
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
TPU was my favorite editor. I wish I could use it on my PC. I had all kinds of macros programmed that I used constantly.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:50 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Latest count: + 102 / - 5

Please go vote here!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:27 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Latest count: + 107 / - 5

Please go vote here!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Latest count: + 113 / - 5

Please go vote here!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:19 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,348 Posts
I'm starting to like the name Aquanet.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:58 AM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
just to mention for giggles and what not...

I'm writing this post from my Rpi

not headless yet mind you. but this is pretty cool.

the website looks perfectly fine. all the images are high resolution. (thanks millertime) little side benefit.. no flash is installed, so no ads!

so yes, this wee little thing, that can fit in the space of a standard cigarette pack, is very much indeed a fully functional, lightweight, computer.

still digging around fully in this OS but I am really impressed with it so far.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:11 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
Bg, be careful if you have never used Linux before... Once you get used to it you might wonder why you ever PAID for an OS like windows. Right now I only have one computer running windows and it is doing it only because Apple does not make iTunes for Linux, and I don't like wine. When I buy my next machine it is going to be a Mac and I am going to ditch the .....

Massey
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:17 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
And the reason you're not getting Linux with a Mac is because Steve Jobs wouldn't be able to tightly control it if you did.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:55 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Actually Andy,

The Mac IS running linux. It's just that apple put it's own GUI on top of it so, as you said, Jobs can tightly control it (and charge for it)! What an oxymoron! I started using linux at home back in the late 90's, and completely eliminated windows around 8 years ago. What attracted me was the similarity to the unix workstations (Sun) I used at work for software development, running CDE. So when I adopted linux at home, I naturally chose KDE as my GUI and I've never looked back. Incidentally, I haven't had a linux system crash or freeze up on me in over 10 years.

Pete
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:17 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I've actually been running various flavors of linux on the desktops for a while now.. mostly Ubuntu, and this laptop does duel boot

and of course, Android on the phone which is also a linux kernel. I've even gotten a x86 version of android running on a old laptop

I do have a Mac around here.however. A M001 from 1985

amazingly... it still works!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:55 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
Quote:
Actually Andy,

The Mac IS running linux.
Mac OS X uses a Mach kernel and FreeBSD utilities.

FreeBSD != Linux - just as Linus!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
Now that Apple uses the Intel chips and their archetecture is similar to PC's Linux will run on a newer Mac. I had Fedora 12 on my Macbook pro just to see if it would work. Some of the drivers were not perfect and it was hard to get everything to work but I did. I soon after put OSX10.6 back on it.

Massey
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Personally, I like Kubuntu, it's Ubuntu with the KDE gui rather than gnome. K/Ubuntu is a debian based distro, as is Raspbian, the R Pi linux distro. But truthfully, it doesn't matter which distro you use, they are all still Linux under the covers, so whatever floats your boat! When deploying the R Pi in my boat, I won't have any gui server running anyway, so there won't be any untilized overhead, that's why I am running it headless now.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
question?

Ok you guys, I've got a question for you. This is where my electrical knowledge is going to shine, NOT!

I've got my Arduino Uno plugged into my laptop. I'm doing the Arduino Tutorial Lesson 3 (playing with LEDs). I'm doing the exercise with 3 clear leds plugged into a breadboard connected to the Uno. All 3 leds are identical and they're all "preceeded" with identical 1K resistors.

Here's my wiring:
1 wire from the Uno 5v to BB(breadboard) + rail.
1 wire from the Uno GND (right below the 5v) to BB - rail.
1 1K resistor from Uno Digital Pin 10 to BB 15b, 1 Led from BB 15a to BB - rail
1 1K resistor from Uno Digital Pin 11 to BB 11b, 1 Led from BB 11a to BB - rail
1 1K resistor from Uno Digital Pin 12 to BB 8b, 1 Led from BB 8a to BB - rail

Here's my Sketch(program):
(variables)
int led1 = 10; //Tutorial uses "redPin"
int led2 = 11; //Tutorial uses "greenPin"
int led3 = 12; //Tutorial uses "bluePin"

(setup)
pinMode(led1, OUTPUT); // Tutorial uses "redPin" here
pinMode(led2, OUTPUT); // Tutorial uses "greenPin" here
pinMode(led3, OUTPUT); // Tutorial uses "bluePin" here

(loop)

digitalWrite(led1, HIGH) // Tutorial uses "redPin" here not led1
digitalWrite(led2, HIGH) // Tutorial uses "greenPin" here not led2
digitalWrite(led3, HIGH) // Tutorial uses "bluePin" here not led3
delay(1000);

digitalWrite(led1, LOW) // Tutorial uses "redPin" here not led1
digitalWrite(led2, LOW) // Tutorial uses "greenPin" here not led2
digitalWrite(led3, LOW) // Tutorial uses "bluePin" here not led3
delay(500);

That's it.

So here's the problem for me; When i plug in the Arduino, compile the sketch & upload this sketch, why does the clear led on pin 10 glow red, the one in pin 11 glow green & the one in pin 12 glow blue?

As far as I can see the ONLY difference between the 3 leds is the pin on the Arduino that they are connected to. Since there is nothing in the program that tells the pin or the led which colour to turn, it must be the digital pins that are doing it. I assumed that all of the digital pins on the Arduino would act the very same -or at least the first 12 of them anyways.

What am I missing here?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
Quote:
What am I missing here?
The Arduino cannot change LED colors, the LEDs mounted in the breadboard are simply different colored LEDs. Any color LEDs will work and the program simply turns them on and off.

Massey
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:58 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Well if the Arduino itself can't change the colour, something else MUST be. But WHAT?

I repeat, all 3 leds are clear (colourless). The ONLY difference between them is that each one's resistor is plugged into a different Digital Pin on the Uno and each is set to OUTPUT, each is set to HIGH and each to LOW all at the same time (within nanoseconds of each other).

So far as I can see, there's nothing in my sketch that uses a colour, so where are the 3 exactly the same Leds getting their colour from?

None of the bare parts of the wires is touching any other wire. Is it possible that because of the way I have it wired, with only one set of wires providing the power to the BB, that the resistors are actually in series down the BB and the 2nd is passing less power to the 2nd Led then the 3rd resistor feeding even less power to the 3rd Led?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:14 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Aaaah, hold on!

Just for giggles I swapped one of the LEDs with another, just to see what would happen, and guess what, the clear colourless LEDs are exactly as Massey said, they're not colourless, they're coloured. I swapped the one from Pin 10 (which was red) with the one in Pin 12 (which was blue) and lo and behold the red one stayed red and the blue one stayed blue.

It was just sheer luck that had me put the red one in Pin 10, the green one in Pin 11 and the blue one in Pin 12, just as the Tutorial wanted.

So that brings up another question: If all these "coloured" LEDs are colourless plastic, how the he$$ are we supposed to know what colour they are before plugging them into some power?

This is not going to be a walk in the park!
Last edited by ClassicBoats; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,428 Posts
That is what the experimenter's "bread board" is for, testing.

ALL the LED I sell are clear, but I cast them into colored resin so that I don't mix them up.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:59 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
god forbid it was a simple multi color LED!!

BTW, the wiring for a multi color LED is exactly the same as wiring up three individual LEDS

there are three cathodes, and common anode, on a multi color LED, I could have that terminology swapped.

of course, these are not to be confused mufti color cycling LED's they only have three leads and contains a weeeeee little tiny IC that does all the color switching. wiring for those is like a regular LED, with +/- and the other lead you apply momentary power to in order to cycle through the colors, and then send it to it's routine of switching between the colors... i find them rather useless except rather simple decorations.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:59 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Quote:
So that brings up another question: If all these "coloured" LEDs are colourless plastic, how the he$$ are we supposed to know what colour they are before plugging them into some power?

This is not going to be a walk in the park!
Best you can do s get a small parts tray and label everything.

Pete
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:20 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
yep, label your stuff! this is why the good lord created part drawers and label stickers

mouser.com is your friend for ordering stuff like this in bulk.

if you are trying to simulate old light bulbs with LED's you should use yellow ones. white LED's are too intense.

one could still straight up use old school grain of rice bulbs with an arduino, but keep in mind, you will generate a lot of wasted heat energy and and run the batteries down faster when going that route.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:29 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
The LED's that best simulate old (incandescent) light bulbs are usually called "warm white led". I've used them in model RR as headlights, and they look just like the real thing. They are very common, just google "warm white led"
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:29 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
LOL The LED's color is determined by the material used in the component itself not the color of the dome. Well at least not when the dome is clear. Obvously when the dome is red or green or what not it will be that same color. Since about the late 90's chip developers have discovered different materials can generate different colors in LEDs. Now we have an almost endless array of colors to use. I just bought a pack of LEDs that have red, green, blue, pink and white in the colors.

Massey
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
one of my dream boat builds is to take the old creole queen kit and ghost ship build it, distressed, make it look old and broken down smoke and fog generators, onboard music.. a demented calliope. automate various functions.... lighting routines, et all.. it will be a master piece
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:18 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
woot! looks like the new Forum is almost live!

Orderd one of these things last night the Raspberry Pi Cobbler...

basicly just a ribbon cable and custom PCB plug for interfacing with a bread board one might be able to get away with making a homemade one with an old IDE cable if the key doesn't interfere. actually, I think this thing is more akin to a old floppy disk drive cable.

for the kids out there, floppy disks were the ancient predecessors to the USB thumb drive. they had enough space to hold half a MP3 or 0.000000000000000001% of a DVD

in anycase... it plugs into the pin header of the GPIO pin header of the pi, and the other end plugs into a bread board and bridges the two sides like an IC chip would

then one could use that I/O with the I/O of another device like and Arduino, or even control components directly.

oh yeah... I also got a sticker!

I need stickers of all the environments I play with to put on my laptop. that way, I can show off my geek cred to all the fellow pubbers when I'm hanging out of course.

I have a little micro wifi USB dongle I need to see if it will work with wheezy so i can make my pi wireless and headless.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:32 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I also found this blog which tells about how to get a Pi to talk to an arduino over USB

I'll try to try this when I get home tonight
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Beer Gnome,

Good article. I've noticed that the R Pi and Arduino themselves are cheaper than sheilds and accessories boards. It makes sense to me to use them together to handle complimentary hardware I/O and advanced logic all one package. Using the R PI as the wifi interface is actually cheaper than buying a wifi shield for the Arduino.

Pete
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:28 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
far as I can tell, there is an Arduino board that functions as a shield for the pi itself and stacks directly to the Pi's GPIO

but yeah, use the pi for the heavy computing, and the Arduino for the heavy I/O. I thought we were already on this same page

AFAICT, using the GPIO of the Pi with Arduino has a program on the Pi, interacting with a program on the Arduino, while the USB connection has the two talking together more or less in real time. I would have to physically experiment to tell for sure.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:50 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Now.. what would be interesting is to see if I can get my old gen1 Moto droid to talk to an Arduino, I'm pretty sure it can be done with cellbot application... but that old phone has the same horse power, more or less as the PI, and all the sensors built in. and can handle up 32 gigs worth of microSD

I know that I could use it as a brain for my roomba, so anything else should be easy.

great thing about the Roomba... the dogs hate the vacuum cleaner, but just sit there and observe the Roomba doing its thing with befuddled amusement.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:05 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Should work, it already has a USB. Download the android SDK and give it a shot!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:39 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
yep, the only problem is that the old phone is pretty beat and the USB connection is tenuous at best, I think I can still put a custom Rom image on it despite a lot of broken side buttons.. I think to get it into command mode I need to hold down the power button and 'X" on the slide out keyboard while it boots up

but it's going to need a new battery and battery cover

Im loving my new droid 4, but the only thing I dont like about it is the non removable battery. so a true hard reboot is nigh impossible, just a software hard reboot.like an Iphone. but hey.. micro HDMI cable and playing angry birds on the big screen... that's.... amusing

for those that don't understand what I just said.. my phone has a tiny Digital video out put port that allows me to mirror my phones desk top to my digital HDTV. so attaching that cable to my phone, to my TV shows everything that is going on with my phone, on the big TV also any pictures stored on my phone or video, and the phone has an 8mpxl camera and records video at 1080mpi... i.e. hi-def.

long story short... if you like to fling preterbed birds at swine that posses rudimentary structural building skills, you can use the phone as a controller and watch the results unfold a suitably equipped large screen television set.
Last edited by bgnome; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: formatting
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:10 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
Bg, the Pi has a 26 pin IDE cable. I just ordered off Amazon some 13x2 ribbon connectors so I can make custom lengths of cable. I think they were in the area of $.75 each. You can either buy new ribbon or cut an old PC cable down. Just remember to use the 40 conductor cable not the 80 conductor. Floppy cable will work too!

Massey
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:39 AM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
So here I am, Posting from the Pi, over wifi, headless. using tightVNC viewer via winxp sp3.

not much to add. beyond that, just proving that its possible. it's a little slow and crunchy, but i think that's to be expected considering the environment and how it's being done.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:53 AM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
and this post is going through the pi directly with attached keyboard and mouse. on the monitor HDMI to DVI and all that jazz. still wifi

I gotta say, I think I would prefer to input directly to the device just for the fluidity of it all.

the next experiment shall be USB serial communication from the PI to the Arduino
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:56 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
ITS UP!! GO LOOKY-SEE

Massey
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:44 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Some of the things here need to get moved to new threads on the Homebrew forum.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:02 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
the whole thread could be moved over there as the one that started it all actually. lot of good info from many knowledgeable people is to be found in here.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:18 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
true, but honestly, some of these topics should get threads of their own as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
oh, absolutely... I'm currently researching how to pair my old moto droid with Arduino. seems pretty straightforward actually. but everything I'm finding is using Blue tooth as the way for the two devices to "talk" to each other, I'd like to be more hard wired via USB personally. but whatever I come up with, it should make for an interesting tutorial once I get it down.

I've orderd a new battery and batterybay door for the old phone, and found the old micro SD card from my old black berry

once the phone is restored and properly rooted with super user privliges, I'll begin that project in ernest...

the phone itself has a 750mgz ARM processor, for number crunching. 512MB of internal memory, can take up 32 gigs of storage via micro SD.

it has on board, a magnetometer/compass,orientation sensors, GPS, Bluetooth. wi-fi. and of course, a cellular phone radio and that can give you mobile internet networking
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:01 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Seen at the Petaluma Hobby Show.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
oh, absolutely... I'm currently researching how to pair my old moto droid with Arduino. seems pretty straightforward
Speaking o' 'droids....

And they all work and have lottsa' special effects too.
. .
And there were more running around too....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 13, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I dont think that those are the droids I'm looking for...

I'll move along...

Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:58 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,605 Posts
I dunno BG... Im a big starwars fan and to own that black R2 unit would be really cool. That droid was destroyed when the Death Star went boom!

Massey
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:58 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Roflmao! Weak minds are so easily influenced by digital beer LOL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey View Post
I dunno BG... Im a big starwars fan and to own that black R2 unit would be really cool. That droid was destroyed when the Death Star went boom!
www.artoo-detoo.net/

There is actually a rather large community of R2 builders out there if you really need another hobby ;P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 14, 2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:37 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,867 Posts
This thread is in the wrong forum now. Does the OP want to ask the mods to move it where it belongs?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:22 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
I dont think that those are the droids I'm looking for...

I'll move along...

Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:33 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
This thread is in the wrong forum now. Does the OP want to ask the mods to move it where it belongs?

Andy
I really should.. .I guess just use the Notify a moderator button? ask them to change the name while they are at it or something?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:53 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey View Post

Massey
Along with all those poor contractors working on the thing. A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers. . In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms. All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed - casualties of a war they had nothing to do with.
All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:36 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Thread has been renamed. can mods please move this over to homebrew and hacks?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:51 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Well, here it is guys, the final results of the poll at the time Mr. Jim closed the thread! And we had exceeded the closure count of 100 in just about 30 hours! Wow! This is really off to a flyin' start and it's all your fault Again, Thanks To All

RCG Plus Member