HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:14 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
The only 2 authorized retailers for the Pi are RS and Farnel/Element14. Im looking at the Element14 website and it is stating in stock

http://downloads.element14.com/raspb...OM=raspi-group

I am thinking about getting on of the 512M versions as my little one is only a 256M

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,432 Posts
Thanks Massey, I will order from there. Just got to figure out which IO board I want. Are you using one?

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
I just got a generic kit from E-bay that will work with both Arduino and Pi. Cost was $17 plus a little shipping. It should be here in a couple of days. 32 true IO pins. I got tired of waiting for the GERTBoard as they kept having problems with it. I guess it is available now but I am going to wait a bit on that since the first version of it was not as expected.

Massey
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:16 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
OK, ye scurvy bunch o'scummy slinkin' bilge rats! Get yer stinkin' hides outta them hammocks an up onta thar quarterdeck an see Capt'n Bourke an Mate Kolesnikov. There be The Articles fer ye ta sign!!!

Well?? Get ye on wi it! Ya waitin' fer a personal invitation from Good Queen Bess?

The Articles be posted on that thar mast! Get'em signed an we kin git on with this!

The forum proposal is up, we need 50 Aye posts from people as quickly as well can get them. PM your friends and get them to sign on the new forums thread.

We are now at stage two:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kolesnikov, RCGroups tech support
Once your thread has generated 50 replies from other users who agree that the proposal is a good one, compile the list of names and inform an admin or moderator. The site management will review the list and most likely call for a vote.

Stage Two has commenced -

The Site Approval Poll is now up! - Please Click here and vote YES at the top of the page.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
Final form of the proposal as posted on the New Forums Thread.

Forum Name: AquaNet - "Homebrew" Hardware & Software Systems for Watercraft

Category: Boats - top level

Description: A forum for alternative Open Source Technology for Digital Command, Control and Communications (C3)Systems for Digitally Controlled Watercraft including real-time Telemetry and Video returns and logging.

Justification: To facilitate communications and technology transfer within the model boating community, particularly between members of R/C Groups, regarding alternative open source methods of controlling, automating and animating our watercraft as well as encouraging a "Stanford Homebrew' style cybernetics culture based around open source and open source ideals.

Currently the information on automating or making our boats more autonomous or using the expanding number of alternative control systems and technologies such as the Raspberry PI (Rπ) and the Arduino system families, is spread piecemeal throughout the web and hardcopy worlds and very little, if any, is directed at model boaters. The aviation community has seen the urgent necessity of creating separate technology forums for experimentation, design, construction and dissemination of these devices and techniques. It is obvious that boaters must follow suit.

If the cybernetic Boating community is to begin designing and developing items and instrumentalities, we need a place to commune and share. Not just as lone modelers and engineers who individually peek, poke and peruse in the aircraft forums, the blogs over at Make Magazine's site or robotics forums which may, but more often do not, address the issues we need to solve, especially as boating is the disregarded rump of the RC community to many. Outside of a very few dedicated vendors and artisanal manufacturers specific to boating, no one develops anything specifically for us any longer. We must adapt, nay, hack, aircraft, robotics or car technologies for aquatic environments and our purposes.

We desperately need a place of our own to do so, to exchange data, experiences gained in our successes as well as failures, our designs and other works as well as keeping, sharing and disseminating build logs of our equipment and experiments.

Respectfully Submitted by
Craig_c -- 2,602 Posts

Initial Seconds by
bgnome -- 1,524 Posts
blutoh -- 202 Posts
tugs -- 124 Posts
Deckie – 115 Posts
More Coffee -- 2,231 Posts
Massey -- 1,336 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:41 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
@bgnome

This be all yer fault, see what ya done gone an started
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey View Post
I dont think we should limit the scope to one platform. While I own a Rpi it is not going to always be the best unit for the job. Same can be said for the Arduinos and the many different clones out there as well. Each unit can preform tasks and one unit may be able to preform that task better than another, and with out keeping our sights broad we may never see the benifits of one over the other.
Concur totally! I likez the way you are thinking about this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
AquaNet RFC 0000

AquaNet RFC 0000

One thing is a definite, we are going open source! We are here to share! Solve, Develop and Share. Repeat

WHY: Open source does NOT preclude you from making oodles an oodles o'green on a product if you create a good one! A lot of the early systems and products were proto-open source. The Apple ][ and ][+ were open architecture machines and look where the hell THAT led to! So were the IBM PC and AT machines. It usually leads to massive early adoption of the technology.

Whatever grows up here will hopefully grow up alone the lines of the ideals of the old "Stanford Homebrew Computer Club" that used to meet at SLAC and Tressider and the Peoples' Computer Company on University Avenue in Palo Alto.

This will be an open source warez, no secrets, sharing community. The more eyes and minds working on an issues, the faster and sometimes better the solution. Also, this creates synergy and synergistic events and ideas with exponential advances.

All of the first and many of the second generation companies that turned the world on it's ear starting back in the late seventies were started by guys in those organizations that followed the 'hacker ethic' of the Hombrew Club which was and is to share discoveries, issues and have common hardware.

What we will not tolerate though is piracy for obvious reasons, we won't wish to get our hosts (or ourselves) in trouble so we are going to wear the white hats only! Bad Karma All Round.

Recommended: What the Doormouse Said If you ever wondered how that hunk of silicon and aluminum ever ended up whirring under your desk....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:22 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,432 Posts
Yes on open spource, I've been an advocate and user (abuser?) of Open Source for years. In fact I've been running linux at home for 14 years and threw windows out over ten years ago. The Creative Commons approach adds protection from commercial theft of your work, but I don't think we need to be concerned about that right now.

I am looking for recommendations regarding IO boards for Rpi (gert board, etc). Massey gave a good one he found on ebay, and I want to see if there is anything else worth considering, so if anyone else has any opinions, please post.

Pete
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:56 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,432 Posts
Here's a 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver for $15:

http://adafruit.com/products/815

LINK to the new forum request
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:21 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,836 Posts
I picked up a programmable 6 servo controller as a possible
crane controller. Each servo can be programmed for direction and time on.
So a sequence of motions can be preset and then set in motion by
simply activating the board. Not as complicated as an Arduino, or other
board, but it does allow a neat range of motions for just an click on function.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/12

Add a post to the new forum request...
LINK to new forum Request
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:09 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
UMI!!! This may be exactly what I need for my Aurora project! I need to research a little more but it looks like the 6 servo controller may work.

Thank you

Massey
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:17 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
I picked up a programmable 6 servo controller as a possible
crane controller. ]
Amy,

What is the programming interface on this, how do you program it?

Pete

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, found it under the resources tab.
Last edited by blutoh; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:43 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
bgnome,

Where did you order the RPi? Newark Electronics is showing 0 in stock.

Pete
looks like I allowed Back order, and it will get here when it gets here.
Amazon Has them allegedly, but seeing as though I've gotten a few bunk knock off arduinos from amazon, I would be wary

Edit, Looks like my order is supposed to ship from Element 14/Newark by 2/13
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Last edited by bgnome; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:11 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
Element 14 usually has a 2 week lead time on these little guys. So 2/13 sounds about right

Massey