Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Discussion
AquaNet, the origion thread for the homebrew Hack forum.

The Raspberry PI...

what is it?

well, its a computer.. the size of a credit card or a cigarette pack.

RCA, or HDMI 1080i video output

two port USB2.0 for adding periphials like an external HD, keyboard mouse, etc.
boots from an SD card and runs various light wieght flavors of Linux. including android.

under the hood you have:

a 700 mghz ARM cpu..
512 megs of ram shared with the CPU, non expandable...
10/100 ethernet.

it boots from an SD card and you can add a USB external hard drive for added storage.

runs off of 5.5v DC
more or less, it has the same computing power as a base line PIII computer or a gen 1 Xbox. in the foot print of a credit card, for $35 for the full featured model B

why on a RC forum?

well.. it can be paired with an Arduino board which can drive servos, LEDs, robotic type of stuff.. so it could be used as a very powerful brain for doing autonomous stuff, use it to make your models.. self aware.. or some such..

and it's cheap..

and small...

just throwing ideas out there for folks that might be inclined to such things.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Last edited by bgnome; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: thread rename. mod's, please move this to the appropriate forum
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:03 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,575 Posts
hi bgnome,

You can overclock these to 1ghz without any problems and also run full linux os. Pairing with the arduino is easy but not necessary, there are GPIO port extender boards available. The possible application in rc boating are limitless, from sound system to remote control using add on boards. It's all in the infancy stage now but there are already a few threads here in rc groups relating to pi and arduino application. Some other intersting microprocessor boards that are available are the Parallax Propellor and TI Stellaris Launchpad. Only the PI is designed to run a full linux os. It has the same ARM microprocessor found in many smartphones now. The others are designed for dedicated applications. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out for model boating, but we certainly are on the verge of some exciting times.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:50 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
yep, already got a full blown computer in my pocket with a motorola android phone.. filled with all types of sensors... gps, magnetometers.. etc etc.. the world is the limetless really.. just ordered a model B.

for $35? for all you get? why the hell not?

think about this.. for $40 odd bucks shipped.. you have more computing power than the moon missions and the first generation flight decks of the space shuttle in the palm of your hand..

I think I'll use the one I'm getting as an XBMC box to fiddle with at first and explore from there. I'm well aquainted with various flavors of linux as it is.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:21 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,147 Posts
You guys left out the multi-tasking..
a guy could run a whole pile of scripts and run them as needed..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:51 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,631 Posts
Ain't OT guys, when you can control four motors independently running at up to 25 volts at serious amperage directly from a shield board, maybe it's time to pay attention to the Raspberry PI (Rπ) and the Arduino families of technology.

Already there are way to control our ships using GPS, magnetometers, and inertial navigation units and gyros with a pretty fine granularity, if we'd only get around to it. Couple that with boards capable of controlling 25 or more independent servos per board at the same time each doing separate things? We are not going to stay at the level of using them to flash "Winnie's Back" from the port signal light of a dreadnaught's bridge or control the steppers that point it's turrets or to fire broadsides from privateers for much longer.

I'm going to propose breaking a personal rule - we need to have a place were we can discuss and do these kinds of projects in aggregate and in specific and for a sub-community of people working on what is essentially the "cyber augmentation" and FPV of our models. A sub-forum should be establish for the esoteric doings of the aquatic cyber-wizardy, geeks and engineers who will probably be the first adopters of this technology to their model boats, with associated build threads. I am honestly tired of digging through all the flyboys stuff looking for castaway tidbits. I'd like to see what we boatmen can do for our toys as well. I have a couple of boards already as well as giving two, one as gift to a wizardly type friend and the other to the daughter's geekly bf.

PS, don't get the Rπ board alone because there are a number of other bits and pieces-parts you need to get it up and booted unless you have a workbench full of "stuff" (you know what I mean) .... Make magazine sells a pretty good starter kit with the latest variant of the Rπ with memory and lots of pieces parts and documentation. The Makers Shed (Makezine's store) also has a pretty good started kit for the Arduino as well.

And yes they have forums for both devices, BUT, hardly anything that would directly benefit or apply to model boaters - Lets get our own community of builders and makers going!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 23, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,430 Posts
Watched a video on youtube last year that had a hexapod robot (spider shaped) robot with a dremel tool attached to its 'head' vertically then use the tool to 3-d rout out a Styrofoam face. Was an amazing thing to see. found it!
Hexapod Robot CNC Router - Cutting 3D face (3 min 57 sec)

WIRED posted a new idea from DARPA to salvage parts from defunct satellites (mostly radio dishes) using autonomous robots.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:48 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Lets get our own community of builders and makers going!
I'm game. Maybe we should pick a common IO board as well, so we are all on the same page, working to a common objective? Let me know what you all think, I am going to wait before ordering my PI and io board to see what direction we are going with this.

Pete
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:18 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
I have one of these little computers and I love the thing. It is a little slow but it is fully functional. I am researching a way to use the Pi as a multiplexer for my Futaba 7CAP. I should be getting my GPIO board this weekend and I have been learning how to program in Python to make the needed software. I have also been researching using the Pi as a GPS tracking and possibly using the GPS with google maps to create an autopilot for my M/V Aurora.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
I'm game. Maybe we should pick a common IO board as well, so we are all on the same page, working to a common objective? Let me know what you all think...<clip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Lets get our own community of builders and makers going!
OK, I know, quoting myself much fru-fru bad form... However -

I am really tired of rooting about on other sites and forums for this kind of information, data, looking for things that might be applicable after much hacking and, to be bluntly honest, HELP!

Let's put ourselves to good use! So I'm in, lets get to it.

New Forum for "Miniature Aquatic Cybernetics, Control and Autonomous Systems Development Support" or "Skynet for Boat Models" -say Aye! We can come up with a real forum name (or better yet an snazzy acronym) and discuss i/o boards, capabilities, preferred commonalities etc., as we go along on our way to establishing the new forum under Boats.

Both and Arduino families, derivatives as well as future down-line evolutions are IN. Linix and applicable variants are IN as well as appropriate languages for programming the selected hardware are IN, in addition to applicable mainstream hobby OSs (e.g. windoze and crapple).

Also included under the forums purview: methods, hardware and software for connecting our laptops directly to the model control systems backbones while underway on the Lake as well as for telemetry and digital video return. If this means doing away with the R/C Xmitter box, so be it. (see this thread on Laptops to RC)

I'm all for rigging a Thrustmaster H.O.T.A.S. joystick system to my laptop and reconfiguring it's display for all functions!

On "AQUANET*: A Skynet for Boat Models:" AYE!

Stick this on yer Specturm an' smoke it!

*AQUANET - Blutoh's neat idear!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:12 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,575 Posts
How about "Aquanet" How do we get the forum setup?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:52 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
I'm all for it.. hey, I even like the name Aquanet!

the model train folks have been doing it for years now, and we have the benifet of actually getting out of the house everyonce in a while!

AYE!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,631 Posts
Well ok, blutoh.... As long as it is the unscented forum.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:02 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,575 Posts
Ouch! OK, something else then.

Pete
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:56 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,631 Posts
heheheheeee No worries, Pete. Aquanet stands unless we come up with something better See jpg below.

Now, where did I leave my blowdryer that played BeeGees' tunes while you used it?

Hey BeeryOne - Change the title of you original post to "NEW FORUM Discussion:" Digital Command Control and Communications (C3) for Model Watercraft or some such!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:18 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,631 Posts
New Wireless microcontroller, the Pinoccio
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM.