HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Discussion
Beware of www.ValueHobby.com in Chicago

I was looking for a Life 9.9v TX battery and found a $15 one at Value Hobby's website. I was skeptical because I had never heard of them and the price was low. I ordered it online and used paypal to try and ensure the order.

I received the battery and sure enough, one of the 3 cells isn't registering nor will it charge. It came with a charge of 6.27v. Neither my Hyperion Duo charger or Hyperion battery checker will show 3 cells, only 2. It came with a a strange little white power plug which I had no way of charging it with ( I have over 25 different batteries and connectors). I switched it to a JST connector to try and charge the 3rd cell. No luck.

Called Value Hobby this morning, no answer. Sent a request, No answer. Called them again this afternoon and they pick up. Long story short is they expect me to pay to send the battery back to them, then they'll send out a new battery. They partially blamed me for the problem by switching the connector (which most of us do). Just poor poor customer service. They're policy is even with defective items, customer pays the shipping back to them.

I'll never buy from them again. I've bought over $20k worth of RC parts in 2012 and this was an unfortunate and negative experience which I had to disclose to others.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:20 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,353 Posts
First stop cross-posting, it's against site rules, you posted the same thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815987

And since that other thread will most likely be deleted I'll respond again here.

Second it is not at all unusual for a company, especially a small company to ask you to pay return shipping.

Third you sound incredibly impatient. You could not even allow them 24 hrs to reply to the request you sent?

Fourth most battery warranty policies say you must check the voltage of the pack and RMA it before changing the connector. This is not at all uncommon.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,943 Posts
You're lucky to even be in a conversation about returning the battery after cutting the plug.Try HK customer service thier experience is far superior.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
knock on Lipo I've never had an issue with their batteries. It's a one man show there I believe. As Tug noted, it's surprising to hear that they will entertain a return or refund since you cut the plug. Update the thread on how things go.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:49 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
...20k worth of RC parts in 2012 .... - and yet you don't understand how returns work in this industry?

You cannot blame the vendor for your mistakes.
You modified the battery - issue is done at that point.
You failed at due dilligence.
You expect the vendor to pay for shipping back to them on a return based on your "word".

You have a lot to learn.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
155 Posts
I have purchased twice from them after one of our club members recommended them. So far the Lipos I bought have been vary reliable. Sorry about your buying experience.
dawhale is offline Find More Posts by dawhale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:10 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,805 Posts
You cry over one little problem, I think this hobby isnt for you.
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:33 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
I've never had an issue with Value Hobby. Hmmm. Bought quite a few things from there too.
aeio540 is offline Find More Posts by aeio540
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:27 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,498 Posts
I have bought several LIFE packs and some chargers from that site and they have been great!
Would do business with them any time. I especially like the multiple connectors they provide on the packs.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:12 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
970 Posts
I buy almost all of my LIPO's from them. If I order today I will receive the the next day most of the time.

Have been dealing with them for several years and am very happy with their service.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is offline Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:03 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,175 Posts
I don't mean to pile it on, BUT, one more satisfied Value Hobby customer here
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:34 AM
Silly n00b
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2011
584 Posts
ValueHobby rules. Its HK without the wait.
TuMadre is offline Find More Posts by TuMadre
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:10 AM
No flying at the Control Tower
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
VH loves Canada and i love VH.

Better than HK and faster too
karikamiya is offline Find More Posts by karikamiya
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:32 PM
United States, NY, Olean
Joined Sep 2008
76 Posts
Never had a problem.7 or 8 orders. always get my stuff in about 3 days Great products for the price.
crash&fix612 is offline Find More Posts by crash&fix612
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Sorry you weren't happy with Value.

I like there service. The Power HD servos are great and the price is good.
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen