HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:08 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Discussion
Beware of www.ValueHobby.com in Chicago

I was looking for a Life 9.9v TX battery and found a $15 one at Value Hobby's website. I was skeptical because I had never heard of them and the price was low. I ordered it online and used paypal to try and ensure the order.

I received the battery and sure enough, one of the 3 cells isn't registering nor will it charge. It came with a charge of 6.27v. Neither my Hyperion Duo charger or Hyperion battery checker will show 3 cells, only 2. It came with a a strange little white power plug which I had no way of charging it with ( I have over 25 different batteries and connectors). I switched it to a JST connector to try and charge the 3rd cell. No luck.

Called Value Hobby this morning, no answer. Sent a request, No answer. Called them again this afternoon and they pick up. Long story short is they expect me to pay to send the battery back to them, then they'll send out a new battery. They partially blamed me for the problem by switching the connector (which most of us do). Just poor poor customer service. They're policy is even with defective items, customer pays the shipping back to them.

I'll never buy from them again. I've bought over $20k worth of RC parts in 2012 and this was an unfortunate and negative experience which I had to disclose to others.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
First this belongs in Vendor Talk:
http://www.rcgroups.com/vendor-talk-21/

This is not the right forum to complain about service from a company. I see you already posted there so you're being reported to the mods for Cross-Posting which is a violation of site rules.

Second it is not at all unusual for a company, especially a small company to ask you to pay return shipping.

Third you sound incredibly impatient. You could not even allow them 24 hrs to reply to the request you sent?

Fourth most battery warranty policies say you must check the voltage of the pack and RMA it before changing the connector. This is not at all uncommon.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:52 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
I know just what he needs,a trial run with customer service at HK.When you cut the plug you are very lucky to even be in a conversation about return,if i were you i'd ship it back quick.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:59 PM
Insert witty comment here...
Scranton Pa
Joined Jun 2008
203 Posts
Hahaha tug, so true.
Curt S is offline Find More Posts by Curt S
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:13 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Beware of www.ValueHobby.com in Chicago
Right, this does belong in the vendor section.

ValueHobby has a good reputation as an honest on-line RC vendor.

They are being extremely gracious by even agreeing to take back the item after you have altered it.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:42 AM
Eaton, Indiana
United States, IN, Granville
Joined May 2008
182 Posts
I really like Value hobby,, fast shipping and good prices
skyhawkdc is offline Find More Posts by skyhawkdc
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:48 AM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
441 Posts
I agree with everything said here, the products are good but they are hard to get any response from. All in all still a great vendor.

Ernie
ernie b is online now Find More Posts by ernie b
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:10 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,740 Posts
You mean there's a hobby dealer in Illinois that is NOT connected to/owned by Tower??? Will wonders never cease!? ;+)>>

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:05 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
I was looking for a Life 9.9v TX battery and found a $15 one at Value Hobby's website. I was skeptical because I had never heard of them and the price was low. I ordered it online and used paypal to try and ensure the order.

I'll never buy from them again. I've bought over $20k worth of RC parts in 2012 and this was an unfortunate and negative experience which I had to disclose to others.
So you spent over $20,000 dollars on this hobby in 2012 and you are upset over a $15 dollar battery
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:04 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
So you spent over $20,000 dollars on this hobby in 2012 and you are upset over a $15 dollar battery
I could make some observations about his character based on behavior and money he claims to have spent, etc but why bother.

If anything he has convinced everyone that Value Hobby has great service. Which we already knew.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:09 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Love Value Hobby. The Elite series batteries are awesome.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:43 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
I use Value Hobby frequently. Have bought a bunch of planes there and used to buy a bunch of Gforce batteries until China Hobby showed up with a U.S. warehouse.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,418 Posts
I have purchased items from value hobby for several years now. Fast shipping, good value products. The new 60c elite batteries are fantastic! they have always answered my emailed questions and phone calls. Sometimes email takes a day or two. Great vendor!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:27 AM
Site Moderator
Joined Oct 2011
133 Posts
Cross-posted.
I'll leave this one open:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815990
KrisM is offline Find More Posts by KrisM
Administrator
Closed Thread