HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
206 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9x vs turnigy 9xr

So they are releasing a new model, thanks to rc model reviews making all the mod videos on YouTube for the turnigy 9x, which pursuided me to go to hobby king and purchase one with the frsky module,
When I go to order I notice the 9xr
So what are my options what is the difference between the 9x and rx
Will the old modules for the 9x still work
Does it have that module wore hard wired ?
Or shall I just stick with the 9x and frsky module ?
Harry200sx is offline Find More Posts by Harry200sx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:26 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry200sx View Post
So they are releasing a new model, thanks to rc model reviews making all the mod videos on YouTube for the turnigy 9x, which pursuided me to go to hobby king and purchase one with the frsky module,
The big difference. other than cosmetics, is that the 9XR comes with a version of ER9X firmware already installed and an easy way to attach a programmer to install upgrades. This firmware provides much more powerful programming than the stock firmware in the 9x. You can flash ER9x in the 9X but you have to install a programmer, such as the SmartyParts board.

The 9XR still takes the same modules (such as the FrSky) but it will eventually have its own version of a DSM2 module that will connect to a built-in antenna.

The 9XR comes without module for $50, so if you don't have one already you'll need spend an extra $30.

The 9XR has a special LiPo battery but will also run on either a 3s LiFe battery or a 3s LiPo.

There is a debate about various issues on the 9XR, especially the programming switches. Go to the 9XR thread for details.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 08, 2014, 04:40 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry200sx View Post
If you add up the cost of a LCD backlight, the smartieparts board and the time it takes - the 9xr + tx/rx module stacks up well on a dollar basis against the 9x.

Also I wouldnt be keen to use the turnigy 9x tx and rx modules for anything - no failsafe settings (i think) and doubtful range, but i see you are using frsky.

I think the 9xr has more on board memory and gives more options for open source firmwares. The Frsky modules will work the same for either of them
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex