HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:20 AM
Brockport, NY
Joined Jul 2001
184 Posts
Question
where to find hitec transmitter crystals??

I need to find a hitec tx crystal, 72 mhz chanel 50. Seems these have become hard to find these days. Does anyone know where they can be purchased
MikeScag is offline Find More Posts by MikeScag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:22 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
You can get them from Cermark or Hobby Horse, even if they don't have a particular channel in stock they can get them:
http://www.cermark.com/categories/Ra...dios/Crystals/
http://www.hobbyhorse.com/crystals.shtml
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:42 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
By FCC (?) law, you can no longer buy transmitter crystals on 72mhz-FM. You still buy them for 27 and 75. The only place you can get a crystal installed is at a factory authorized service center. Has something to do with re-tuning the rest of the radio to maintain its long range. Since most 75mhz units are in r/c cars or boats, long range capability is not too much of a concern.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:50 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkupinski View Post
By FCC (?) law, you can no longer buy transmitter crystals on 72mhz-FM. You still buy them for 27 and 75. The only place you can get a crystal installed is at a factory authorized service center. Has something to do with re-tuning the rest of the radio to maintain its long range. Since most 75mhz units are in r/c cars or boats, long range capability is not too much of a concern.
It has always been that way in the US. IT has nothing to do with range (the FCC doesn't care about how well the radio works) but is purely a matter of preventing interference with others.And the FCC doesn't ban their sale, just their installation.

So technically, in the United States you need to send the radio for servicing. Meanwhile, those of us in the rest of the world are free to switch crystals. That is, the few who haven't gone to 2.4.

From the Tower Hobbies catalog, for example:

Transmitter Crystals Can Not be changed to another channel except
by a licensed service center. It is against FCC regulations, and
illegal for the user to change a frequency determining component
of a transmitter. If a radio is not retuned, it can be a hazard to
spectators, modelers or property, and void AMA insurance coverage.

By the way, it's just as illegal to change 75 MHz crystals.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:49 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
By the way, it's just as illegal to change 75 MHz crystals.
Strange. I used to sell a lot of 75 mhz Tx &Rx crystal sets to the R/C car guys when I worked at a hobby shop. But did get a shock: Tower is selling Futaba and Heli-Max 72mhz crystal sets as well as 27 and 75..
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:53 AM
Clancy
Davis,CA US
Joined Jun 2005
512 Posts
I have a broken 72mhz crystal on a focus 4 hitec transmitter. Can I put a 75mhz crystal on it and receiver to match and that's that?
Clancy is offline Find More Posts by Clancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clean Jokes
Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:11 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Clancy
Just switching X-tal for a different band won't work without replacing resonant parts of the oscillator(Caps,inductors&resistors)and re-tuning the Tx.
Not really worth the expense for a Focus-4
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan