HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Build Log
Flyzone S.E.5a - Building from parts - DSM2

The SE5a parts arrived today.

I'm going to do a build thread using the stock parts with a DSM2 clone brick.

I know, a Build Thread in the Micro RTF forum, but it's not really a modification, but a full build.

Snappy new labels in bright red, Great Planes label, no mention of Flyzone except the FL in the part numbers.

The fuselage is protected in a nice sturdy box. The wings were always packed okay, but the other Flyzone fuselages come in plastic bags and do get damaged in transit (and possibly during storage at the Great Planes / Tower warehouses).

Parts to be used:

FLZA6310 Flyzone Wing Set Top/Bottom Micro SE5A
FLZA6311 Flyzone Fuselage Micro SE5A
FLZA6312 Flyzone Tail Set Horizontal/Vertical Stab Micro SE5A
FLZA6313 Flyzone Wing Strut Set Micro SE5A
FLZA6314 Flyzone Pushrod Set w/Control Horns Micro SE5A
FLZA6315 Flyzone Landing Gear Set w/Wheels Micro SE5A
FLZA6316 Flyzone Pilot Figure WWI Micro SE5A
FLZA6317 Flyzone Dummy Machine Gun Set Micro SE5A
FLZA6318 Flyzone Motor Brushed 7mm Type B 12900kV
FLZA6319 Flyzone Gearbox 6.25:1 Ratio 1.0mm Output Shaft Type D
FLZA6320 Flyzone Decal Set Micro SE5A

Not sure which prop to use. On the Tower site this prop is listed as part of the SE5a.

FLZA6254 Flyzone Prop 117x64mm For 1.2mm Output Shaft Type C

This definitely does not fit the Type C gearbox and looks as if it will be a tight fit with the Type D.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Power plant

The bad news is you only get ONE gearbox in the bag when you order the Type D box.

The new motor also comes with short wires with a female connector, so that had to be changed to 1,27mm pitch pins, and the wires were lengthened by about 1.5 inches.

Always hard to find suitable wire for stuff like this, I ended up using some scrap servo wire (about 26awg) to extend.

I think everything else will fit ok, like the battery lead.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Short control horns on SE5a

The SE5a pushrod set comes with the short control horns first seen in the Flyzone Control Horn Set Micro Set A FLZA6097.

The Nieuport pushrod set is shown for comparison of horn sizes.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Fuselage

The quality of the foam molding is really good...

I'll get on to the rest of the build in the next few days.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
What does the molding on the lower half of your fuselage look like? Mine looks like a foam cooler that gets abandon at the track when the NASCAR race is over.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
What does the molding on the lower half of your fuselage look like? Mine looks like a foam cooler that gets abandon at the track when the NASCAR race is over.
Looks fine. I'll take some pics tomorrow and also weigh the parts as I go along.

Update: Here's a picture of the bottom of the fuse, no flaws that will affect the build.

Also interesting is that there was no double-sided tape on the fuselage, so we can use UHU por without having to strip off the tape first.
Last edited by deadduck; Jan 23, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:26 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,965 Posts
Hey Dead Duck,

You might want to consider going with the PZ P-51 motor/ gearbox since you've got it in parts and it would be easy to install. This set up will give you, a tad more weight up front (where it's needed), more power and the ability to change props by spinning on & off.

I did a FZ SE-5a Mods thread here in RTF on this bird recently and I would rather have done that but since mine was together I didn't take it apart at this time. I recently put a cut down P-51 prop on mine as I think they fly these micros better.

I will eventually get another in just parts and put the PZ P-51 motor/gearbox in it.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:51 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I got parts for mine this week, too. Thanks for starting this thread.

I have parts for 2. One will attemp ailerons.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Hey Dead Duck,

You might want to consider going with the PZ P-51 motor/ gearbox since you've got it in parts and it would be easy to install. This set up will give you, a tad more weight up front (where it's needed), more power and the ability to change props by spinning on & off.

I did a FZ SE-5a Mods thread here in RTF on this bird recently and I would rather have done that but since mine was together I didn't take it apart at this time. I recently put a cut down P-51 prop on mine as I think they fly these micros better.

I will eventually get another in just parts and put the PZ P-51 motor/gearbox in it.

Pete
I wanted to do a stock build (apart from the brick) and a couple of minor mods (LG axle to steel wire).

I still haven't found a good source for PZ P51 motor/gearbox that can ship at a reasonable rate and price to the Philippines. Wholesale trains doesn't want to know if you are located outside the US.

The prices of the two systems are getting close, so I'll try and source P51 power plants.

The Flyzone Type D with B motor has good reviews so far and should be fine.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Weights

I weighed everything out of the packaging.

My scale is accurate to +/- 1g, so weighing everything together reduces "rounding errors".

I also weighed part sets individually, but these should be considered as relative weights (because of the rounding error).

Modified motor/gearbox + Clone board 8g

Fuselage with exhausts 7g

Upper and lower wings 7g

Tail set 1g

Landing gear (missing the silicone stops) 4g

Struts 2g

Guns + Pilot (unpainted) 1g

Pushrods and horns 1g

Prop as recommended 1g

Weighing everything together came to a total of 31g.

The weight of an SE5a is listed as 37g but it's not clear if this includes a battery. We'll see.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:19 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Wbpu??

I am thinking of using some WBPU to protect parts of the fuse which will be handled during the build and use?

I have some satin finish which gives a semi shiny finish. Probably look like "doped" fabric.

I am thinking the front of the cowling, battery bay, perhaps the lower part of the fuse up to the LG mounting points. The shininess would be the result of oily rags used during maintenance.

I will also do the part around where I will cut the lower fuselage for maintenance access.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Glues

I would really like to get hold of the white rubbery stuff that Parkzone and Flyzone use to mount gearboxes and bricks.

I wish Flyzone or Parkzone would make 5g or 10g tubes of it available.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Decals

They're water slide decals.

And they are pretty good, lay down well so that the molded details on the wings show through nicely.

That makes 3 different kinds of decals that Flyzone uses:

The Albatros type where you wet the back of the paper.

The Nieuport uses thin plastic which I assume are vinyl..
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Landing Gear

No wheel retainers in the pack, no real loss since they always fall off and disappear.

Flyzone should sell them in packs of 10....

Glued the center member (subwing? fairing?) together.

Cut a piece of .025" wire.

Bent one end down 90 degrees and pushed on a 3mm piece of 1mm pushrod sleeve.

Assembled the LG but did not glue anything. Fitted another 3mm white plastic sleeve and then pushed the end down 90 degrees to retain it.

I plan to use the epoxy pad technique to mount the LG struts.

The thing in the middle will get glued to the LG frames once the airplane is assembled.

I presume it should be at zero incidence relative to the wing? Otherwise it will act as a brake.
Last edited by deadduck; Jan 24, 2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Sep 2012
230 Posts
Good to see this build, DD. I dumped my SE5a after a few flights and broke a prop...(and lower wing) then popped the retainer off the back off the shaft trying to pull the prop! So.... will have to take the plane apart to fix, and might as well go with the P51 motor, and maybe a DSM2 clone brick.
(naptha will ruin your decals too!) ... so not so good with this plane for me.
swcushing is offline Find More Posts by swcushing