None of the above. 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:34 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Discussion
Another Help Me Decide On A Heli Thread

Ok I have been using my hero rc h991 alot for Indoor flying but now I want to go outside and fly. I'm looking for another 4ch FP heli that I can fly outdoors in 5-10mph winds. I was at first interested in the wltoys v912 but what are your thoughts and suggestions in my next heli I am 29 years old, can see and willing to spend about $120 fine lol.

Edit: if recommending me a micro heli I prefer a flybarless micro to step up from my h911
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Last edited by ITS ME DAVID; Jan 23, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:03 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
The self stabilizing design of V911 do not scale up in larger helis. You will get some really odd flight characteristics. Moreover, you will find them much harder to fly in the wind, to the extent that it may be blown away like a kite.

I would either get a quad like the V929 or V939 or go straight to a micro CP straightaway if you are confident. Getting a SIM would help in flying a CP.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:00 AM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Thanks btw not intersted In quads what's a good cp to start off with.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:00 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,345 Posts
There's no FP heli that will handle wind. All of those 45į flybar helis teach you very little. They are over-stabilized and have poor movement authority. You may not like quads, but they are your best bet. You can try a micro CP, but you will crash a lot. For your price range, the Walkera Genius is probably your best bet. Buy lots of spare parts.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:53 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
There's no FP heli that will handle wind. All of those 45į flybar helis teach you very little. They are over-stabilized and have poor movement authority. You may not like quads, but they are your best bet. You can try a micro CP, but you will crash a lot. For your price range, the Walkera Genius is probably your best bet. Buy lots of spare parts.
Truer than the sky is blue!
Barlr you really ought to change your "cranky old fart" description - it just doesn't fit!! How about "cranky old quad" instead ??
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,345 Posts
I hate to push quads; I'd really like to see them make something in the 250 - 300 size in a flybarless FP design with flapping hinges and granular linkage. I think that would make a great trainer. But, quads are simply far better than the FP helis they make now.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Not even fb FP heli can't handle wind ?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,345 Posts
The ability to handle wind means having enough agility and response to pitch into the wind very quickly and enough power to drive against the wind. The rotating blades act as a solid disk, wind will not penetrate it. That disk is like an umbrella. If wind gets under it and pushes up, you have very little defense other than cutting power, eliminating the disk. CP helis can use negative pitch to drive downward and counteract wind. Quads have instantaneous response (no moving parts), lots of movement authority and power, plus a 3 axis gyro to fight wind. The current FP helis have none of this. Their response is muted and weak, they have no movement authority and marginal power. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Thanks balr14 I guess ill go with a CP heli any idea which a good starting off cp?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Cp

I recently switched from FP to CP. I bought and flew my master cp (200 sized walkera) without realizing how different collective pitch was. I didnít crash but I was almost mad that I learned how to fly a fixed pitched heli. I am in the process of selling all my fixed pitch heliís. But back to your question; the walkera master cp has some built in stabilization and is designed as a CP trainer and will also do some nice 3D when your ready but at this point I havenít even mastered hovering. You wonít be able to fly this indoors even though itís a 200 sized heli.
ticojon is offline Find More Posts by ticojon
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,345 Posts
For your budget, the Walkera Genius is still the best option.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticojon View Post
I recently switched from FP to CP. I bought and flew my master cp (200 sized walkera) without realizing how different collective pitch was. I didnít crash but I was almost mad that I learned how to fly a fixed pitched heli. I am in the process of selling all my fixed pitch heliís. But back to your question; the walkera master cp has some built in stabilization and is designed as a CP trainer and will also do some nice 3D when your ready but at this point I havenít even mastered hovering. You wonít be able to fly this indoors even though itís a 200 sized heli.
Thanks ill check it out.

Quote:
For your budget, the Walkera Genius is still the best option.
Ok ill check it out thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
I'd recommend a trip to your local hobby shop. See what they recommend and stock. I lot of guys are going with the Blade mCPx or Nano as their first CP heli. The mCPx is very durable.
Ronm3313 is offline Find More Posts by Ronm3313
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:26 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,345 Posts
I prefer the MCPx or Nano as well, but not on a budget of $120.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronm3313 View Post
I'd recommend a trip to your local hobby shop. See what they recommend and stock. I lot of guys are going with the Blade mCPx or Nano as their first CP heli. The mCPx is very durable.
My local hobby shop is hobby people and there usually expensive.

Quote:
I prefer the MCPx or Nano as well, but not on a budget of $120.
Yea I know I really don't want to get too deep into spending the cash at the moment.