HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by quitcherbitchen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:22 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
Build Log
Stuka Air Siren

Now that I changed props on my Durafly 1100mm Stuka to a 12x6 two blade, the plane is much more enjoyable to fly. Takes off without a hint of tail swing and flies super scale like. No longer a speed demon.gets way better flight times too. 9 minutes of mixed flight. Because its a G model it has anti tank guns that are always susceptible to breaking on nose over, I am converting mine to a D model bomber. Dive bombing is way more fun. Ordered up some bomb drop mechanisms from Yellow Aircraft and am waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime I thought "hey I am going to need a siren". I had a broken AirHog helicopter on my bench and said to myself "that thing looks just like what I need. Now all I need is a scale bomb and bomb release trapeze.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
I wonder if the bomb from the FMS Henschel 123 would work. You'd have to fashion your own trapeze using piano wire and a pull-pin... sort of like an upside-down mousetrap. Check out my bombs and releases for my Goshawk -- you might get some idea how to rig something.

For the siren... that tail rotor certainly looks the part. It would be awesome if you could also make it "scream". Which gives me a thought... you know that annoying beep when you boot up a PC computer? That's just a small piezo-electric buzzer. They cost about $1-$4 and run off of 12vDC. It might be cool too hook up your motor to generate electricity and load up a capacitor that powers the buzzer. It would take some experimenting, but I think that's about the right sound for a dive-bomber.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:22 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
That is a great idea about the buzzer. I don't know what the electrical output of the little motor is, but I'll ask may electrical engineer friend. Also I did order the FMS Henschel 123 bombs from PW-RC a few days ago. I do want to make a more scale bomb for the center. I will check your link. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:24 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
The small motor probably won't drive the buzzer. But I bet you could pull 5V from the RX... if you make a Y from the signal line for the throttle... then maybe run that into a capacitor so it builds up and releases smoothly.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:03 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
I saw your egg bombs, those are cool. Yeah the more I look at the motor the more I think I am just going to mount it for looks. But the buzzer would be easy to do with a remote switch hooked into the onboard lights. Do think that could work? I even saw those buzzers at the electronics store when I was searching for a small speaker for my machine gun noise module. Good thing is with the motor off in a dive you might actually hear it. My machine gun noise maker is barely audible with quarter throttle. It has a two inch speaker and 7.4 volts powering it.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:48 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
Here it is mounted and the canopy finished
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:35 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
Received my Yellow Aircraft Bomb Release today. Did a quick comparison to the old Vortac units I have laying around and I have to say I am impressed. I know I have to build my own bomb for these as there are none available to ready fit, but the Vortac bombs won't fit and look too American. I bought five of these at $9.00 apiece. I plan on putting at least one on the Stuka and three on the Skyraider and one on my P-47.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:33 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
Here is a short clip of the siren in use
Stuka Air siren in action (2 min 23 sec)
There is a high pitch sound coming from that little prop similar to when I blow on it. Hard to hear I have to admit. Looks cool though
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:42 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
I crashed the Stuka into a palm tree last Sunday and took a day and some ladder climbing to get it down. Bummer is I lost the siren prop. Those things are $8.00 for 3 from AirHogs. Any ideas?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:50 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,436 Posts
As some of you may know I treed the Stuka a few weeks ago and one of the things that went missing was my prop siren. The housing survived, but the prop went. After searching the internet and not seeing a good match I am happy to report that my local Hobby People let me dig in their micro helicopter parts bin and found a really nice replacement for a buck.