Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:16 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,536 Posts
Cool
my first router

Me and john picked it up in katella, Ca. Yesterday.

my computer had the windows 64 bit and it needs 32 bit version to run mach III, hopefully i can get some help here to get me going.

www.veloxcnc.com

Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Last edited by dougmontgomery; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:24 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,232 Posts
If you got there controller, they should have a Mach3 configuration file for it. That would get you running.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:42 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,212 Posts
Looks good Doug! that will take your building to a new level.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:28 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
Me and john picked it up in katella, Ca. Yesterday.

my computer had the windows 64 bit and it needs 32 bit version to run mach III, hopefully i can get some help here to get me going.

Doug
Hope you didn't pay $4,565.00... You coulda done it for half or less.

You can run Mach3 from a 64 bit machine... you need a smoothstepper board for USB.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:01 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,420 Posts
What price do you put on your time?

Curious, how much is a smoothstepper board, no prices on their website
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:57 PM
not bad for one eye
atlantic canada
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Doug,

what breakout board and drivers came with your machine? I have Warp9 Ethernet SmoothStepper, and I would highly recommend it.

Sam,

CNC4PC sells the USB version for $165.00, and the ESS is $186.00.
dlpaul is offline Find More Posts by dlpaul
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:35 PM
Disgruntled Member
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
About $75-$90 an hour depending...

Smoothstepper board delivered $155.00 You will also need the 4 axis parallel cable from them as well.

I know I see those prices for tables and build my own... It's to easy to do.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:52 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
Hope you didn't pay $4,565.00... You coulda done it for half or less.

You can run Mach3 from a 64 bit machine... you need a smoothstepper board for USB.

Can you please post the picture of this type of machine you have built for 1/2 or less?

I think I paid a reasonable price for this quality of a machine Made in the USA
- But I could not design this strong of a machine that I have purchased and have all the hard parts machined and the machine up and running For less then I paid.

If you have friends that have the type of machines that made this machine you are a lucky individual, and I am sure you could make it for less.

I do not live close to these type of friends. Shipping and prototyping would of cost me a fortune to get just one of these made-

also why spend the energy to build and design something already out there to be bought. I like designing airplanes, not machines that make them.

Thanks for your help,
doug
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Router

Hello Doug,

I'm getting to make the leap for either a lazer cutter or router. I checked several lazer cutters and CNC routers in about the same price range as you spent. What made you decide on the router over a laser cutter?

Thanks,

Rick
carrier flyer is online now Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,536 Posts
I made the newest choice because I have a 80watt 32x45" laser already....check out my blog here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=44372

It all depends on what you are wanting to do.

If you want to make balsa built up planes I would go with a laser, if you want to go to cutting molds or ribs or G-10 fiberglass plate for Tricopter frames, Quad frames or Heli frames with not so good of fit then go with the router, If you spend the time I am sure you can engineer the router cut parts so they work well.

The laser ribs you can make them really accurate with time.

Doug
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:01 AM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
router

Doug,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Rick
carrier flyer is online now Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
Disgruntled Member
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
Can you please post the picture of this type of machine you have built for 1/2 or less?

I think I paid a reasonable price for this quality of a machine Made in the USA
- But I could not design this strong of a machine that I have purchased and have all the hard parts machined and the machine up and running For less then I paid.

If you have friends that have the type of machines that made this machine you are a lucky individual, and I am sure you could make it for less.

I do not live close to these type of friends. Shipping and prototyping would of cost me a fortune to get just one of these made-

also why spend the energy to build and design something already out there to be bought. I like designing airplanes, not machines that make them.

Thanks for your help,
doug
I never thought to ask anyone for help back in 2001 when I built my first machine. I had spent my spare time reading on the internet on how to build them. When I made my first part was the first time I had ever seen a known working machine for the first time. I had never even seen video of a working machine. Then over the years I kept reading and saying up to date. Knowledge is never a problem, lacking it when needed is a major problem.

Nothing is a replacment to the hands on learning of these machines. From theroy to the mechanics..

So you understand it if there is a problem. Nothing is worse than owning something you can't fix and have to pay someone "the going rate" when you have a problem with said machine. Even more so when you have to wait to have someone else look at it while your production is stalled.

The machine I am currently working on is made from parts you can get ready made and tailor a machine to suit your needs. Most anything I have bought I could duplicate if needed. The bearings are available all over the place... This machine was built on the idea that one day it will have to be serviced and parts replaced with the lesson learned that some companies may not be around when needed. (I am a technician by trade, unlike engineers I don't live in denial that parts go bad.). If your going to depend on robotics for your income it is best to know all you can about it.

If I get the legs on it today I will have some more pics. I am still shopping for a spindle motor...

I am changing out the leadscrews on my Harbor Freight Mini Mill and painting a wall in the shop today so I am spread quite thin... I may not get it all done today (I have no idea why someone painted the inside of the shop green, I am going bright white for better lighting.)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCWorks; Jan 30, 2013 at 01:31 PM.